steering/noise/shaking at speed probs
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on steering/noise/shaking at speed probs within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I own a 2002 wrx wagon. auto transmission it has 160k + miles all is stock, short of yoko ...

steering/noise/shaking at speed probs

Hi, I own a 2002 wrx wagon.
    auto transmission
    it has 160k + miles
    all is stock, short of yoko avid v4s
    silencer removed, and a turbo-back rsr exhaust

- the steering wheel sometimes shakes at highway speeds often randomly, more often after leaving an entrance/exit ramp
    - the right front quadrant of the car makes rubbing grinding noise, more loudly when turning
    - power steering is particularly bad when cold from a stop (squealing/stiff)

front brake rotors are clean (not brake noise)
    belt seems tight ( .5" of play or less that i can tell)
    fluid is not low
    there is no pronounced pulling to the right or left,
    none of the wheels feel as if they are loose at the bearing
    (not that i could diagnose a bad bearing so easily if i've heard correctly)

I am currently not employed and don't have much money,
    but do have access to a shed with a fair amount of auto tools (short of a lift and hydraulic press though)
    and a modest level of online repair research and reassembly confidence
    so a mechanic's diagnosis is pretty much completely out of the question...

I might have had money to do this with if i had known of the 30 day grace period i had to get a refund
    on my unused 6yr/100k extended gold warranty plan,
    but the lapse occurred almost immediately after our apartment burned down, we weren't insured,
    and obviously i had bigger priorities in mind
    (it will never happen to you, right?!?)

i do remember having my car in for an oil change in maybe 05-06 at some chain midas or firestone
    (this was before i had the resources to do it myself...), and the teen servicing my car said i NEED new struts-shocks,
    though i think they were just trying to clear inventory, and there were no signs of suspension problems,
    AND noone has ever said anything about needing that before or after,
    subaru certified or not.

so, i just need a good idea on how to diagnose this.

also, if someone could help me get the specs or part numbers for replacing the linkage for
    the gear selector. it let go right at the cable and i've been using pliers to put it in drive for the last few weeks... :-p

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wow, sorry for all your misfortune.
    Where to begin. At 160k you probably need so many parts it may be hard to list.
    Ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, struts would be the first to look at. New belts and power steering fluid. You probably need a timing belt and water pump too if not already done. Then you have all the bushings, which I am sure are very tired and strut tops too.
    At about the 90k mark is a good time to start replacing all this stuff, but unfortunately you are beyond that and probably need to replace lots of stuff all at once.
    Start looking up on how to inspect all these things to see what needs priority and what you can afford.
    Good luck.

Oh, I forgot to mention that if you live in an area that uses salt in the winter, check the control arms for rust. There is a recall on rusted control arms.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.