Comparison of Ferodo Racing Brake Pad Compounds - Special purpose brake pads

This is a discussion on Comparison of Ferodo Racing Brake Pad Compounds - Special purpose brake pads within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I wanted to point out some of the advantages of running dedicated pads for a given situation. Mainly, point out ...

I Support ClubWRX

Comparison of Ferodo Racing Brake Pad Compounds - Special purpose brake pads

I wanted to point out some of the advantages of running dedicated pads for a given situation. Mainly, point out the huge drawbacks of running 'compromise' pads.

Where as it is easy to tell the drawbacks of running a track pad on the street (no grip at normal temperatures, terrible noises, poor modulation for slow speed stops)... it isn't quite as clear why you wouldn't want to use a compromise pad on the track or autoX.

Keep in mind that their 2500's are supposedly Ferodo's daily driver & track combo pad, with the DS3000 being their entry 'track only' pad. You can see the trade offs made with the 'daily driver' pad, and why I strongly recommend specialized pads for specialized circumstances. For how easy it is to change pads on my car, there is no reason you can't swap in autoX pads or track pads before an event.

I found it interesting how you can pick out 'purpose' built pads for various circumstances. A good example would be the DS1.11 for either autoX or RallyCross due to the lower temperature required to hit any serious stopping power. Or on the flip side, the DS2.11s for a real high speed track event, where you need those brakes to really grab hard as you need to stop for that next corner. There are obviously more complicated considerations to make (brake fade, for example.. and how careful you have to be to find that 'threshold')... but this should get you thinking at least.

On the brake fade note: Why do you think Ferodo would recommend the DS2500s for a beginner? Why do almost all of their compounds taper off past 500-600 degrees? ...You never know how hot your pads are on your car. If you aren't that familiar with them.. it helps to have a larger margin of error before they go kaput - not a good feeling at the end of a 1/4 mile straight away into a hairpin turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That's an interesting chart - sure wish I could find it for all brake companies pads.....

I'm currently running DS2500 pads for Auto-X, street driving, and track. They are absolutely fine for street driving and Auto-X. For the track, I had experienced the start of slight brake fade towards the end of 20min sessions. The pedal feel would also get squishy when coming out of the deepest/hardest braking zone (125+mph -> 60mph). I'd have to take a cooldown lap or not go as deep with the braking.

I will say the pad gave me feedback through the pedal feel before the performance hit, which I liked. So it was manageable, but good drivers are going to get these pads to fade no matter what. (I was running Street tires, so R-comps will fade in no time). Seems if I go Ferodo again, the 1.11 are better for all around driving that sees track days.

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Comparison of Ferodo Racing Brake Pad Compounds - Special purpose brake pads

I had no issue on the track with my 2500s on Re11s actually. Barely noticed any fade even with a good quarter mile straight on the track before an uphill hair pin. On the flip side.. They squealed so badly I can't daily driver with them for a day for whatever reason.

People always have the strangest experiences relative to each other in this hobby. It's so hard to find a controlled experiment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro