TPMS Help

This is a discussion on TPMS Help within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Getting new wheel/tires mounted up very soon and I need to figure out how to keep the TPMS sensors working. ...

I Support ClubWRX

TPMS Help

Getting new wheel/tires mounted up very soon and I need to figure out how to keep the TPMS sensors working. I prefer to keep the aluminum valve stem that came with my new wheelset and have heard about the tpms wrap rings like on this page TPMS Mounting Solutions from Upgrade Motoring.com . Can anyone plz shed some light on this and if it works well? it sure beats paying 200$ for new sensors.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The new TPMS sensors have to be "married" to the ECU. The dealership is the only place I have found that can do it, and they charge way too much, like $70. The tire shop where I bought my winter tires/wheels did not tell me this. So I paid like $200 for new sensors for the new wheels, and now go around all summer with the TPMS warning light on. I'll be damned if I am going to pay $70 twice a year to reprogram the ECU for the different sensors. I wish there was an alternative, but I haven't found one yet.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have been researching the TPMS issue (when you swap your tires), and find it odd that I don't actually have my light on currently. When I had my winters put on in November, I asked the shop that did it about the TPMS and they said "we will have to put new valve stems on because we will have to break the sensor off the current one." I was fine with this as they were only going to charge me $7/new valve stem. After this I have never had an issue with my tire pressure light coming on...Is it possible that the shop I brought it to was able to program themselves (rather than the dealer)? They are pretty smart car guys, so it wouldn't surprise me if they could do this, but from what I have been reading it sounds like experience has been that only the dealership can do this...

The reason I am researching is (as with anyone else who brings this topic up) I am getting a completely different set of summer wheels/tires, and would rather not have the stupid light on. I did enjoy reading about how someone snuck a piece of tape in their gauge cluster to cover the light up haha...I probably won't take that approach though. I found replacements sensors online for $29/sensor (includes valve stem and screw that is needed), which seemed like a good deal. Anddddd...If that shop knows how to program they probably won't charge me to do it because I spend a good amount of $$$ there.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I did enjoy reading about how someone snuck a piece of tape in their gauge cluster to cover the light up
    Referring to this? Cheap and (almost) Easy TPMS Fix

Glad you enjoyed it.

It really is quite easy, totally free, and blocks the light quite well.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

So I am still learning about Subarus and how they conduct their tech work... i.e. TPMS.

When I had my S60R ... if you wanted to change out the struts you had to re-program the accels at each strut back to the suspension ecm... which could "only be done at the dealership". Although Volvo used a software program that was available online for like $150 bucks or something and obviously more expensive from Volvo...

So where I am going with this is... are their any Subbie Techs on the boards that know of such software and is it available for download somewhere? Typically yes spending an upfront cost that seems expensive at first pays for itself everytime you change out your wheels... so at $70 a pop - over the course of 3 years... thats $420
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

I pay $0 and just have a light on my dash for several months.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Where on the dash does it show up? Maybe I can just mount a boost gauge in front of that area so I don't see it...Problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Where on the dash does it show up? Maybe I can just mount a boost gauge in front of that area so I don't see it...Problem solved!
    Next to the fuel gauge on the right.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

yeah... that would bug the **** out of me... I hate having lights on if they dont need to be... I guess it wouldnt matter though - maybe you would just get used to it
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

I Support ClubWRX
    Next to the fuel gauge on the right.
    Perfect. I don't care about how much fuel I have either

there is a tool on Amazon that lets you store two sets of wheels (summer / winter) but you need the actual numbers on each TPMS sensor. i made the same mistake and had my dealer regilster my winter wheels / tires in September. so i'll assume i'll have to get the summers reprogrammed in the spring.

i'll probably buy the tool in March, pull the codes off my winter set and then pull the codes on the summers before winter.

long read:

TPMS Reset Tool - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

I Support ClubWRX
    Just got off the phone with the shop that does my tire mounting/balancing for me...They said they were able to get the TPMS to work just fine if I purchase a sensor for each wheel ($29/wheel). Said it would not be a problem with mating it up with the control system in the car and I would be able to switch the summers/winters off at will. They must have the TPMS reset tool that WRXchet mentioned above. Even though I won't need it to cover up the annoying tire pressure light I will probably still get a boost gauge