GR2 vs Excel-G struts.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on GR2 vs Excel-G struts. within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im replacing my struts this weekend. I purchased the KYB Excel-G struts as an OEM replacement, and hey if they ...

GR2 vs Excel-G struts.

Im replacing my struts this weekend. I purchased the KYB Excel-G struts as an OEM replacement, and hey if they feel a little better than stock then im that much more happy. Anyway, Ive recently been made aware of some type of debate between the Excel-G struts and the GR2s. The company says they are identical but other people say the Excel-G is a piece of garbage. Not sure what they mean by that, quality or performance wise. Also, people talk about one being made in Japan and one being made in the US. Does anyone know what this is all about?

Another thing, Im replacing the struts this weekend. They have 92k on them. Some folks talk about replacing the mounting hardware at the top of the struts. Is this unnecessary? Or just something people do?
    06 TR, COBB AP2,,COBB DP, K&N sr, G200 CB
    Subaru factory short throw, Auto dimm Rear view, Factory fog lamp kit (self installed)
    AM cobalt gauges: WB fuel, oil press (elec), boost (mech,30hg-20+)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KYB does say they are identical. A very reputable company (Turn In Concepts) has proven this to be false. They have opened them up to see for themselves. Many people can not tell the difference between them in how they drive. Some people complain that the Excell G are too harsh with poor ride characteristics. As far as build quality they seem very similar.
    I am currently running Excell G front and GR-2 rear in my wife's Legy Outback. Overall we have no complaints. I will admit the fronts are more harsh but not to the point where I would complain.
    The GR-2 is well regarded but KYB in all their wisdom has decided to discontinue the better of the two.
    Many people are turning to Tokico HP (blues) instead of the KYB. It does not have a wagon fitment but that can be taken care of easily by slotting the struts or adjustable strut tops.

Oh and YES, Replace the strut tops!!! The rear is fine with a stock replacement but if at all possible get the Group-N fronts. A huge difference. You won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by bikelok View Post
    Oh and YES, Replace the strut tops!!! The rear is fine with a stock replacement but if at all possible get the Group-N fronts. A huge difference. You won't be disappointed.
    Well im disappointed to hear about the Excel-Gs being of lesser ride quality. Maybe with my current struts being so warn out ill be happy anyway. I just purchased the group Ns all the way around. Looks like ill have to wait til next weekend to start this project. Tnx.
    06 TR, COBB AP2,,COBB DP, K&N sr, G200 CB
    Subaru factory short throw, Auto dimm Rear view, Factory fog lamp kit (self installed)
    AM cobalt gauges: WB fuel, oil press (elec), boost (mech,30hg-20+)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.