Lowering spring on stock struts??

This is a discussion on Lowering spring on stock struts?? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 03 WRX and am wanting to lower it without spending a ton. Can I put lowering springs ...

I have a 03 WRX and am wanting to lower it without spending a ton. Can I put lowering springs on with the stock struts? I am thinking -1' in rear and -1.5" in front. Also if anyone has any suggestions on springs I should go with that would be great too! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Have the struts ever been replaced? If not, it's likely they are in need of it already; aftermarket springs will just speed up the process and you'll be redoing the install for new struts.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You MIGHT be able to get away with it for a while. Especially on an older car like yours (basically a 9 year old car). Are you capable of doing it, sure.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

Your struts will probably blow out within 10k miles at the latest considering they are that old.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd save money and buy a good set of coilovers or at least upgrade the struts and springs at the same time.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

The car only has 76K on it.. Not sure if that matters or not..

I Support ClubWRX

It does matter because the cartridges aren't getting younger. I'd do struts before springs if I had to chose, frankly.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Do yourself a favor and save up for struts and then you can find a good used set of springs for cheep. Replace the top hats while you are at it.
    If you want performance and not looks go with a Tokico D-Spec strut with RCE springs.
    If it is looks then get Tokico HP or KYB GR-2 (if you can find them) with Mach V springs (or a used set of ProDrive springs, which the Mach V is a good copy of), Swift or Eibach springs. This will be sporty but not high performance while maintaining some comfort with a lower look.
    Last but probably not least replace the strut tops too. Group-N!

Been contemplating which route to go as well.. If I replace struts/springs w/ mounts, I'm right near coilovers.
    To the face!
    04' Stage 2 WRX | Premium Silver. Premium Sex.

No, not so close to coilovers. Any coilover worthwhile starts at the $2000 mark. Below that I can only think of two that are ok (ST and H&R). Coilovers are generally harsh, need maintenance and usually don't like winters or salt. They work great for track cars but I would not recommend them for the street. Below $2000 you are better off with struts and springs.

Quote Originally Posted by bikelok View Post
    Do yourself a favor and save up for struts and then you can find a good used set of springs for cheep. Replace the top hats while you are at it.
    If you want performance and not looks go with a Tokico D-Spec strut with RCE springs.
    If it is looks then get Tokico HP or KYB GR-2 (if you can find them) with Mach V springs (or a used set of ProDrive springs, which the Mach V is a good copy of), Swift or Eibach springs. This will be sporty but not high performance while maintaining some comfort with a lower look.
    Last but probably not least replace the strut tops too. Group-N!
    Swift springs are about as performance oriented as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by bikelok View Post
    No, not so close to coilovers. Any coilover worthwhile starts at the $2000 mark. Below that I can only think of two that are ok (ST and H&R). Coilovers are generally harsh, need maintenance and usually don't like winters or salt. They work great for track cars but I would not recommend them for the street. Below $2000 you are better off with struts and springs.
    I just bought a set of Feal coilovers for $1400. Supposed to be some of the best daily driveable coilovers out there considering they are built by a suspension guru who is known for rebuilding Subaru struts (considering nobody makes replacement STI struts). The Feals also come with Swift springs built in as standard which are basically some of the best in the industry. You DON'T have to spend $2000 for a good set of coilovers, but generally speaking, you do get what you pay for. STs are good coils (built by KW)...the H&R Streets are decent, but I read a lot of iffy reviews on them. KWs are probably some of the best, and the V1s run about $1500, which are built for basically street applications. Fortune Auto Coilovers are decent for the money, and a good up and coming company. You can also upgrade to Swift springs. BCs are ok for $1000 if you want a harsher ride and to slam your car (please don't) and feel like rebuilding them consistently. Don't get Teins unless you plan on tracking the car...they are harsh for daily driving. And for God's sake...do NOT ever buy Megan Racing coils.

If you don't want to spend over $1000...then look into springs and struts and tophats as suggested above.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Lowering spring on stock struts??

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13
    It depends which model you're talking about. Swift Spec-R are on par with the RCEs and will require better dampers, while the Sport can be run on OE/OE-replacement dampers.

Regardless, dampers are a wear item, and need to be replaced occasionally. I would strongly urge the OP to leave the springs alone until they can replace the struts as part of the install. The tophats probably aren't a bad idea to replace either while the assemblies are off the car. That is, unless they're the type that likes to DIY / pay for repetitive jobs.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenda22 View Post
    The car only has 76K on it.. Not sure if that matters or not..
    Then your struts are due for replacement anyway. They are part of the 70k mile scheduled maintenance for Subarus. If they aren't starting to fail already, lowering springs will quickly finish the job if you're still on the original struts.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

I just bought a set of Feal coilovers for $1400. Supposed to be some of the best daily driveable coilovers out there considering they are built by a suspension guru who is known for rebuilding Subaru struts (considering nobody makes replacement STI struts). The Feals also come with Swift springs built in as standard which are basically some of the best in the industry. You DON'T have to spend $2000 for a good set of coilovers, but generally speaking, you do get what you pay for. STs are good coils (built by KW)...the H&R Streets are decent, but I read a lot of iffy reviews on them. KWs are probably some of the best, and the V1s run about $1500, which are built for basically street applications. Fortune Auto Coilovers are decent for the money, and a good up and coming company. You can also upgrade to Swift springs. BCs are ok for $1000 if you want a harsher ride and to slam your car (please don't) and feel like rebuilding them consistently. Don't get Teins unless you plan on tracking the car...they are harsh for daily driving. And for God's sake...do NOT ever buy Megan Racing coils.

If you don't want to spend over $1000...then look into springs and struts and tophats as suggested above.
    All the coilovers you mention are good units. My problem with coilovers for a daily driver is that they require maintenance, they don't like salt and are generally not fun to deal with on a daily driver. I think they are better suited for a track car or a weekend play car. Unless you are diligent about keeping things clean and protected (which I am, but I'm sure lots of people on here are not) then coilovers can work for you. I have seen too many "nice" coilovers with seized collars, corroded bodies, blown seals, etc.. For a daily driver I think a good spring/strut combo will outperform coilovers in most ways.
    Sorry I'm not trying to sound like I'm trashing coilovers but I think they are not the best option for most people out there.

Oh and Swift makes great stuff but not all of it is high performance.
    Last edited by bikelok; 09-21-2012 at 04:23 PM.