How to fix curb rash

This is a discussion on How to fix curb rash within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well I wound up finally getting a curb... it was the first time I think I have ever done that... ...

How to fix curb rash

Well I wound up finally getting a curb... it was the first time I think I have ever done that... anyway. I decided I would go ahead and post up how I fixed it. This is for a 2011 or 2012 wheel, but the principal is the same obviously.

Here is how the wheel started out:

I start out with 220 grit paper and as you can see I keep my fingers against the paper to keep it flat, this particular rash didn't have any metal sticking out, so it just needed a nice roughing up, it's best to go a little bit past the rash so that the filler will stick well to the wheel.

It should look a bit like this when finished the first sanding

Spray the wheel down with a dawn and alcohol mixture dilluted with water of course.

Here's the filler I used:

You can use something to spread the filler, however, on the side of the wheel much of it would wind up between the wheel and tire which wouldn't be easy to sand out. I just put some on my finger. Spread it as fast as you can, as it starts to set pretty quickly.

Use a thin layer of filler and let it set up for a few hours. Sand and reapply as needed With 320 or 400 grit paper, sand very gently. In this case it was done until most of the rash was filled.

Another layer added:

Second coat sanded:

With most of the rash now filled, I use the spot filler glaze on the wheel to fill any small pinholes, or thin lines that the metal filler didn't take care of. Again, this also dries very quickly.

The spot filler sanded... add coats as needed:

I'm not really to worried about the primer on the tire... I can get it off of there pretty easily. I spray all of the spots where the sanding was done of course.

Here's a small area where a little to much paint came out... it will be taken care of during the next sanding process and be flattened out.

As you can see, it's come out pretty smooth... I was happy with it. Instead of paying over 100.00 at my local paint shops to match it, I bought a few different cans of the closest colors I could see next to the wheel... one of them being duplicolor's wheel paint.

I will post the final pictures after I let the paint cure for 48 hours... 600 grit will be used to smooth the paint and to also blend the primer into the OE paint. However, some of you may want to paint your wheels a whole different color anyway.

Hopefully this helps some of you out if you choose to do this yourself and save some money.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the write-up!

Knowing you and your detailing ways, I'm sure it's going to turn out very well.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    You are far more adventurous (and skilled) than I would be with that. Nice work so far!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Thanks guys... I've called so many places because I didn't really want to take on a whole new project with the kind of back pain i've been having... one place actually wanted 240.00 to fix it! Obviously I could buy a brand new wheel for that... so far I think it's cost me about 20 or 30$. Much better for those of us who are tight on money right now.

Great pictures of the damage, , and repair.

I've got about the same amount of paint gone on my rear passenger side wheel, since I rarely see it I haven't made it a priority to fix but reading through what you've done I might make it a Saturday + beer project.

Ok guys, I used the duplicolor wheel paint today after letting the primer cure for 48 hours. I didn't use any self-etching primer from where the primer line is... I just took some 320 grit and lightly went over it several times until I felt no ridges... remember, if you can feel it, you will likely see it. Paint is not very forgiving in that area.

Anyway, here are the 3 pics. The color itself is a good match, however there is a little more flake than OE, so at some point I will get the wheel repainted professionally, but that will have to wait until I either get the money, or unless I find a perfect or excellent condition wheel I can buy.

Here are the pics:

Looks pretty good!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

looks good! i have a small scuff i'm gonna try this on after i put my winter wheels on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

Registered User webdesignerdude's Avatar
    Necessary to re-balance wheel / tire after something like this?

And it looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by webdesignerdude View Post
    Necessary to re-balance wheel / tire after something like this?

And it looks amazing.
    Sometimes... when I drove the car with just the primer and all other work done I felt nothing though so for light work I don't think it would be an issue.

My wife actually likes heavier flake look better lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    Ok guys, I used the duplicolor wheel paint today after letting the primer cure for 48 hours. I didn't use any self-etching primer from where the primer line is... I just took some 320 grit and lightly went over it several times until I felt no ridges... remember, if you can feel it, you will likely see it. Paint is not very forgiving in that area.

Anyway, here are the 3 pics. The color itself is a good match, however there is a little more flake than OE, so at some point I will get the wheel repainted professionally, but that will have to wait until I either get the money, or unless I find a perfect or excellent condition wheel I can buy.

Here are the pics:

Bumping this because I have a tiny spot I'd like to repair on my wheel…and I want to know what specific color and type of Duplicolor paint you used…thanks!

Yeah that paint is pretty spot on. Looks great!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

looks good, are the wheels clear-coated to begin with?
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX 2.0L
    2011 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 5.4L
    2005 Toyota Solara SE 2.4L