Enkei rpf1 17x9.5 +38 fitment question

This is a discussion on Enkei rpf1 17x9.5 +38 fitment question within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey! Getting new wheels in for autox. I got on the lsdmotorsport group buy and went with the 5x100 17x9.5 ...

Hey! Getting new wheels in for autox.

I got on the lsdmotorsport group buy and went with the 5x100 17x9.5 +38 rpf1 wheels.

Any idea how wide of a tire I can fit without any issues?

I'm on tokico d-specs + rce yellow and I have about -2.0 camber in front and about -1.7 camber in the rear.\

Also! can I fit 255/40/17 on 17x8s for now? do the pros outweigh the cons for autox?
    Last edited by Acrdys; 09-11-2012 at 10:56 AM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

year of car? any other mods?
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

2007 wrx oh I guess 27mm front sway bar and a 22mm rear if it matters.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

Can a mod fix my title My finger missed the "T" and clicked "R" instead
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrdys View Post
    Can a mod fix my title My finger missed the "T" and clicked "R" instead
    fixed
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

255/40/17 hankook rs3s on my 17x8s for now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0083.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	108493
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

I Support ClubWRX
    you look like you rub in the back
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I do rub in the back . I'm guessing going from 17x8 +48 to 17x9.5 +38 on the same tires will still rub?

[edit] rolling fenders this afternoon. Also got a new alignment

-3.9 up front with only camber bolts. Can't wait to take it out to the next auto-x event ^^

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25078311/SCAN0051.JPG
    Last edited by Acrdys; 10-09-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

You will really rub, sorry to say

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    You will really rub, sorry to say
    I'm rubbing with 255s I was hoping to fit more tire under there in the near future. Called my friends to help me roll the rears tonight. I'll post picks on update.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

Pulled the fender... car should now be ready to accept the 17x9.5 +38 rpf1s
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_mbpfnrmqPc1r9bonno3_1280.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	108785Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_mbpfnrmqPc1r9bonno2_1280.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	108786
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    9.5 is a bit wide for the 02-07 cars.... but it has been done before... many times.

You will have to roll both front and rear fenders. The rears you might even have to stretch them a bit.

The issue isn't the fender though... it's the strut. I run a 17x9 with a 44 offset, and a 255/40 tire.... and I have about 2mm of clearance between the strut and the tire, with 2 degrees negative camber.

If you plan on running a more aggressive camber setup on the front for the track /autox... you may need to use a 5mm spacer to be able to clear the strut. But... that leaves more room for rubbing the fender too... so it's a give/take relationship.

Either way... picking up some 5mm spacers could save you a set of tires. I wouldn't go any wider than a 255 though.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    9.5 is a bit wide for the 02-07 cars.... but it has been done before... many times.

You will have to roll both front and rear fenders. The rears you might even have to stretch them a bit.

The issue isn't the fender though... it's the strut. I run a 17x9 with a 44 offset, and a 255/40 tire.... and I have about 2mm of clearance between the strut and the tire, with 2 degrees negative camber.

If you plan on running a more aggressive camber setup on the front for the track /autox... you may need to use a 5mm spacer to be able to clear the strut. But... that leaves more room for rubbing the fender too... so it's a give/take relationship.

Either way... picking up some 5mm spacers could save you a set of tires. I wouldn't go any wider than a 255 though.
    Informative as always! I'll pick up 5mm spacers running -3.9 camber on my front now

Still havn't rolled the front yet... don't want to lose the wheeel well stuff ><

Can't wait for next season!

Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    I ran neg 2 degrees of camber on the street (still do).... and when I would go to the track, I would bottom out the tophats on my coilovers to a neg 4.... thats a good angle for track setup.

If you don't have adjustable camber though.... neg 4 is a LOT of camber to run on the streets. Your car will float around quite a bit on the highway.

Contrary to popular belief.... Camber isn't what kills your tires.... it's Toe.

If you absolutely must run a neg 4 camber.... I would tell the alignment shop that they MUST be able to get the toe on your car as close to zero as possible. Even a .05 will chew your tires up in no time.

For a non-adjustable setup.... I would reach for a neg 2.2 to neg 2.5.... no more. If you are still understeering at the track..... pump up the front tires to as high as possible..... and think about a stiffer rear swaybar.... or an adjustable rear swaybar that you can adjust for the track. (Hotchkis, Cobb, etc)

Good luck.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165158
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com