Ran Tire to the last mile.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ran Tire to the last mile. within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, yesturday was doing 85 down GSP and car was bumping. I get home to check, and on the front ...

Ran Tire to the last mile.

So, yesturday was doing 85 down GSP and car was bumping. I get home to check, and on the front tires, they are worn so bad that now steel threads are showing, and in some spots worn away. Anyhow, taking a trip to my mechanic for new tires today or tomorrow. Any suggestions on some nice long lasting sport tires. I have winters so all-seasons are out of the question (never were, even before I got the winters I knew I wasnt running all seasons lol)

Suggests/ advice on new tires please! thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Budget?
    Wheel size?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Dn't really have a budget. I want a nice pair of sport tires so they can absolutely handle the cars abilities,and are also good in wet.

Size, I'm not sure of, just something to put on the stock wheels

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    Dn't really have a budget. I want a nice pair of sport tires so they can absolutely handle the cars abilities,and are also good in wet.

Size, I'm not sure of, just something to put on the stock wheels
    I would start looking at the reviews and data from TireRack.com. There is a HUGE price range between various summer tires, so you'll have to narrow down your needs and budget before anyone else can be of much help.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Curious what your mileage is? Driving habits?

I Support ClubWRX
    What are your stock wheels (17x8, 18x8, etc.)?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I'm now an avid fan of Cooper RS3-S tires. Have them on my STI and have convinced a couple others to get them...excellent dry traction and good in the rain as well. Perfect for NJ. They have great treadwear ratings for a summer tire as well (300 I believe).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe (but verify it yourselves) that Coopers are made in the USA. I have bought a set for our Honda.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I believe (but verify it yourselves) that Coopers are made in the USA. I have bought a set for our Honda.
    They have 1 plant in Rongcheng, China, and another in Mexico I believe. American company based in Findlay, OH (large presence was in Akron, like most other rubber companies back in the day). Really nice company to do business with, I've seen their Findlay facilities a few times.
    Last edited by mcdbrendan; 08-21-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Findlay, not Akron (that'd be Goodyear)

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    If you guys absolutely had to go with all season tires (i know two sets are recommended), what would you go with? I'm looking at continental or hankook ventus right now (are these good choices?). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Looking to spend no more than $5-600, so budget is on the low end.
    wheels are 17x9. current tire size is 245/40

I Support ClubWRX
    Continental are good. Michelin are good also. For inexpensive see Kumho 4X; compare tread pattern to US-only all season version of P Zero Nero if interested.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Cooper Zeon RS3-As.

I have the Summers and they rock. I've heard great things about the All-Seasons actually, despite disliking all-seasons (they don't really do well in any season).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric II. Best tires I have ever had in the wet, and the testing backs that up. Also the best all around summer tire yet as well. Fairly durable UTQG 300 (tread ratings can't be compared across brands though). Look really great too.

Read some reviews, look at some shootouts etc.. They get first in most European tests, or at least second.

Pilot Super Sport would also be a good choice - Tire Rack seems to have a hard-on for them.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 | the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 reviewed and rated | the online tyre guide

Tire Test Results : Testing Max Performance Summer Tires
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I had the Eagle F1 all seasons at one point on my RSX. There was literally no drop off in performance in the wet vs dry, it seemed to me.

Only problem was that performance was in a window of say 1000 miles to 15000 miles of wear, once they started to feel old they felt old, and that was around 15000 miles of use.

That may be different with the summers though.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I'm really liking the Hankook Ventus at this point. But these tires are for a moderate purpose. My main goals are a long lasting tire, good in the wet. AND cheap! lol. Because I need tires now. I only drive a couple times a week cause i live in the city with a bike and bus pass.

I think later i will buy a set of used wheels, was really wanting some factory BBS subaru wheels. And I'll save up and put some REALLY nice rubber on those.
    But for now, we'll see how the Ventus' run.

thank you guys for the broad spectrum of responses. good stuff. Will definately look at those for when I get that other set of wheels!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.