Replacement strut advise... - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Replacement strut advise... within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by 06wrx4me For sake of discussion, does anyone have input/experience on the Megan Racing Coilovers? They seem to ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me
    For sake of discussion, does anyone have input/experience on the Megan Racing Coilovers? They seem to get good reviews and are within the price range. The "Street" versions have much stiffer spring rates than the RCE's, but the Coilovers are Linear rate where the RCE's are progressive, IIRC so I'm not sure if the rates directly compare.
    MR coils are garbage.

I still think you're better off with a strut/spring combo, but if you want to toy with the idea of coilovers, the only inexpensive ones I'd recommend are the Suspension Techniques:
    Suspension Techniques - Turn in Concepts

They may be willing to give you a discount if you wanted to opt for the Whiteline Com-C mounts instead of the MSI plates; the Com-C mounts will be a bit nicer ride, but my plates aren't obnoxious (I have the GTWorx ones, as does Sasquatch).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Replacement strut advise...

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. I won't be buying a setup until march or April after taxes get sorted out, and may end up with an ALK and some other bushings depending on how they look.

I only brought up the Megan's because I can get a smokin deal on them. Like 30% off the going price.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Yeah Megans are garbage (still hate saying that cause my GF's name is Megan. I hate associating her with crappy parts).

I do agree with Matty though. Spring/strut solution is probably best for overall ride with handling improvement.

ST coils are a good budget offering if you did want to go that route, considering they are made by KW. I would also push Feal 441 coilovers, even though Zax and others don't agree. I love mine on my STI.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Yeah Megans are garbage (still hate saying that cause my GF's name is Megan. I hate associating her with crappy parts).

I do agree with Matty though. Spring/strut solution is probably best for overall ride with handling improvement.

ST coils are a good budget offering if you did want to go that route, considering they are made by KW. I would also push Feal 441 coilovers, even though Zax and others don't agree. I love mine on my STI.
    I was only looking at C/O because I could get a set of Megan's for $6xx shipped.

I'd love to go Tokico D spec with RCE blacks and whiteline com c's in the front. But we'll see where my budget is at in a month or two.

If my budget sux, I may just end up rolling GR2's under my STI take off springs.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX

Bumpdate!

Did my taxes, got good news....

Just won an auction for a set of NIB Tokico D specs on eBay. I'm stoked!

Next up:

White line Com C mounts
    RCE blacks
    Strut spacers
    Strut extended adjusters
    Gt spec ALK
    And some DIY alignment tools
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX

Wow congrats, please post impressions after they've settled. People tend to love those.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That will be a sweet setup. I have basically the same stuff except with Konis and no spacers. In addition to the geometry changes the ALK puts a nice stout bushing in there that really helps IMO to tighten up the steering response, control, and tracking.

I've been thinking I'll do one of the Whiteline Roll Center Adjustment Kits eventually just to replace the ball joints and tie rod ends as I get closer to the >100K mileage range. It certainly isn't necessary at the Black spring height but I wouldn't be surprised if a subtle improvement is noticed by the geometry even at that level.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX

Yeah I have been thinking about ball joints too lately. I'm gonna check them for sure next time I have the car on the rack.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Definitely a nice looking setup you're gonna run there!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    My struts showed up, question: is it common for the struts to have a little oil around the bottom of the shaft when new? I can tell they are new never been installed, but I was just curious because all 4 have this film.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361576272.501666.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	112119
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361576284.283124.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	112120
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Think I answered my own question:

A technician pointed out that I have a light film of oil covering my shocks or struts, should they be replaced?
    If the shocks or struts are functioning correctly, a light film of oil covering the top half of the working chamber does not warrant replacement. This light film of oil results when oil used to lubricate the rod gets wiped from the rod as it travels into the painted part of the shock or strut. (The rod is lubricated as it cycles in and out of the working chamber). When the shock / strut is manufactured, an extra amount of oil is added to the shock / strut to compensate for this slight loss. On the other hand, fluid leaking down the side of the shock / strut indicates a worn or damaged seal, and the unit should be replaced.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah that looks normal.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Well it was an order-a-paloosa. But I think I got it done. I saved about $100 by ordering from different vendors.

I got:

* Whiteline Com-C top hats
    * Group-N rear Top hats
    * Rear strut spacers
    * RCE Black guy springs for 04-07 Impreza
    * Tokico D specs DSP-10 (in garage)
    * Tokico extended rear adjusters
    * Epic Bump stop kit

** I still need to go get a set of stock dust boots from the dealer.

** Do I need rear camber bolts? I don't plan on running a ton of rear camber.

And I bought this too:

QuickTrick™ Pro Products - Quicktrick Alignment Tools

Gonna align it myself
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me
    ** Do I need rear camber bolts? I don't plan on running a ton of rear camber.
    Camber bolts are used in the rear to dial out some negative camber, and allow negative camber to be front-biased. I like setups that have .5-.75° more negative camber up front than the rear. Without camber bolts for the rear, that means you're targeting -2-2.25° up front, since I believe your rear is fixed @ -1.5°. By getting camber bolts for the rear, you can dial out some camber out back, and keep the front camber a bit more "reasonable".

Something like -1.5-2° F / -1-1.5° R would be a fun DD setup (FWIW I'm running -1.8° F / -1.1° R right now), with the mods you have. Max out the caster in the front with those Com-C mounts.

The nice thing about DIY alignments is that you can get it roughly dialed in when you install, and then after some settling, you can fine-tune it a bit. What do you have for sways/endlinks?
    Last edited by EJ257; 02-22-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Camber bolts are used in the rear to dial out some negative camber, and allow negative camber to be front-biased. I like setups that have .5-.75° more negative camber up front than the rear. Without camber bolts for the rear, that means you're targeting -2-2.25° up front, since I believe your rear is fixed @ -1.5°. By getting camber bolts for the rear, you can dial out some camber out back, and keep the front camber a bit more "reasonable".

Something like -1.5-2° F / -1-1.5° R would be a fun DD setup (FWIW I'm running -1.8° F / -1.1° R right now), with the mods you have. Max out the caster in the front with those Com-C mounts.

The nice thing about DIY alignments is that you can get it roughly dialed in when you install, and then after some settling, you can fine-tune it a bit. What do you have for sways/endlinks?
    Sounds like ill be getting some rear camber bolts. I'd like -1.5 in the front.

I have Perrin sways, rear stout mounts, Perrin end links.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast