Suspension replacement - when did you do yours?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Suspension replacement - when did you do yours? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; For those with higher mileage WRX's, I have a few questions 1) When did you replace your struts and/or springs ...

Suspension replacement - when did you do yours?

For those with higher mileage WRX's, I have a few questions

1) When did you replace your struts and/or springs as far as necessity, not a performance upgrade?

2) Did you replace more than your struts and springs like the strut mounts and bushings?

3) When you did replace your suspension components, did you see a considerable difference in ride quality?

My '03 is 10 years old and has 115k miles and has the original struts. The Eibach springs were put on around 1k miles so those have the same use as well. My rear swaybar endlinks are really squeaking and getting worse. Since I'm going to replace those I was considering replacing the struts, springs, strut mounts and bushings while I'm at it. The ride and handling seem to be fine, although the rear end does seem to be getting much harsher on big bumps. When I do the shock push test on the bumpers, the front only bounces once. The rear bounces 2-3 times.

Any feedback would be great
    2012 Black WRX Premium
    2003 wrb WRX - Cobb Stage 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by 03WRX View Post

1) When did you replace your struts and/or springs as far as necessity, not a performance upgrade?

2) Did you replace more than your struts and springs like the strut mounts and bushings?

3) When you did replace your suspension components, did you see a considerable difference in ride quality?

My '03 is 10 years old and has 115k miles and has the original struts. The Eibach springs were put on around 1k miles so those have the same use as well. My rear swaybar endlinks are really squeaking and getting worse. Since I'm going to replace those I was considering replacing the struts, springs, strut mounts and bushings while I'm at it. The ride and handling seem to be fine, although the rear end does seem to be getting much harsher on big bumps. When I do the shock push test on the bumpers, the front only bounces once. The rear bounces 2-3 times.

I'd say time alone would necessitate looking into the idea of replacements. Now I can't say for certain, but I can tell you now that my 05 STI is in dire need of a suspension overhaul. I'm still stock at 115k myself, but my rear struts are toast. I'm actually looking to do coilovers within the next 6 months, and will probably be doing all sorts of bushings while I'm at it.

And look at Tony flexing some Moderator muscle in here
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I'd say time alone would necessitate looking into the idea of replacements. Now I can't say for certain, but I can tell you now that my 05 STI is in dire need of a suspension overhaul. I'm still stock at 115k myself, but my rear struts are toast. I'm actually looking to do coilovers within the next 6 months, and will probably be doing all sorts of bushings while I'm at it.

That's what I was thinking - the time factor itself. Thanks
    2012 Black WRX Premium

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Don't make me edit you.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I noticed my stock shock absorbers died at about 90k miles. I threw on newer stock struts and finally installed koni's and STi springs. You can definitely feel the difference between dead shocks and shocks that actually work. Due to the springs I had to replace the top hats. Been slowly changing out bushings and my car feels better then ever. The bushings do get worn out. The stock bushings are so soft and when they wear out the car just feels loose on the road. Once everything is tightened up the car feels like a different animal.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I replaced my springs at 30k (for performance upgrade only), struts at 50k along with top hats (OEM were blown). Then I replaced all suspension bushings at 110k. Each thing made a considerable improvement in ride quality. My car has around 115k miles and rides better than new.

Awesome. Thanks for all your info. It really is hard to tell how much the ride quality has degraded since it is such a slow process and you get desensitized to it. It was only until I got my 2012 that I started noticing the same bumps I hit I barely even felt in my 2012. Whereas in my 2003, those same bumps were jarring and it just didn't feel that solid. That's what made me start asking, "Has my '03 always been this rough? Sounds like it's time for a new suspension.
    2012 Black WRX Premium

I find it amazing that your struts weren't totally shot a very long time ago with the shorter springs on there for 114k miles. I really suspect they've been performing very poorly for a very long time, especially since you say the car is bouncing back and forth 2-3 times. That means they've been toast for a very long time and are now totally beyond toast.

The springs will basically last forever (not really but way more than 100k miles) so there's no need to replace those, just the struts. You need to move to struts designed for shorter springs at the same time and I'm sure you're going to be amazed how much better the handling gets, and you'll realize how far gone your current struts are! The sway bar bushings and end links would be a good idea too. Other than that I'd look at some performance sway bars to go along with the different struts and springs, though you are going to notice the ride quality will get harsher over your current setup.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I find it amazing that your struts weren't totally shot a very long time ago with the shorter springs on there for 114k miles. I really suspect they've been performing very poorly for a very long time, especially since you say the car is bouncing back and forth 2-3 times. That means they've been toast for a very long time and are now totally beyond toast.

The springs will basically last forever (not really but way more than 100k miles) so there's no need to replace those, just the struts. You need to move to struts designed for shorter springs at the same time and I'm sure you're going to be amazed how much better the handling gets, and you'll realize how far gone your current struts are! The sway bar bushings and end links would be a good idea too. Other than that I'd look at some performance sway bars to go along with the different struts and springs, though you are going to notice the ride quality will get harsher over your current setup.
    Awesome. Thanks for the information! I seem to recall reading that those Eibach springs would wear out my struts sooner(and I'm glad you brought that up) but I really didn't notice a huge difference in handling. I've mainly noticed the rear suspension's ability to take bumps diminish, especially compared to my 2012. However, I do live in Dallas where you can probably count on one hand all the twisty roads there are. Now I am really curious to see how it will perform with new struts!
    2012 Black WRX Premium

At least one of my stock struts was bad at around 50K. I did Konis at that time, and springs while I was at it for track perfromance. I've also done Whiteline Com-C strut mounts for performance. No bushings yet. I'm at 86K.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

I just recently upgraded from stock, maybe 3 weeks ago or so. I went with BC BR type coilovers. I did mine because I got into an accident and my front struts got bent so I decided to upgrade. 65K miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ervz View Post
    I just recently upgraded from stock, maybe 3 weeks ago or so. I went with BC BR type coilovers. I did mine because I got into an accident and my front struts got bent so I decided to upgrade. 65K miles
    How do you like your coilovers? I was looking and some of them like Tein or Apexi are priced pretty well.
    2012 Black WRX Premium

How do you like your coilovers? I was looking and some of them like Tein or Apexi are priced pretty well.
    So far I am pleased with them. I had to adjust the damper cuz it was a bit too hard but I got it where I want it.

I upgraded the suspension on my 2002 WRX at around 120k miles. I replaced the struts and springs with KW V1 coilovers, the swaybars with Whiteline 22 mm front and rear, the end links with Kartboys front and rear, and the strut top mounts with Subaru Group N's front and rear.

My ride quality was definitely affected because of the lower ride height and stiffness associated with the coilovers. However, I'm very happy with my setup. My car handles so much better than stock, and while it is stiffer, the ride quality hasn't been comprised to the point of frustration or annoyance.

Total part cost: approximately $2k.

I used the forum for the majority of my research, and it definitely paid off in the end.

-Shadow
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Midnight Black Pearl
    2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon 5MT - Dark Gray Metallic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast