Suspension replacement - when did you do yours? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Suspension replacement - when did you do yours? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Shadow I upgraded the suspension on my 2002 WRX at around 120k miles. I replaced the struts ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I upgraded the suspension on my 2002 WRX at around 120k miles. I replaced the struts and springs with KW V1 coilovers, the swaybars with Whiteline 22 mm front and rear, the end links with Kartboys front and rear, and the strut top mounts with Subaru Group N's front and rear.

My ride quality was definitely affected because of the lower ride height and stiffness associated with the coilovers. However, I'm very happy with my setup. My car handles so much better than stock, and while it is stiffer, the ride quality hasn't been comprised to the point of frustration or annoyance.

Total part cost: approximately $2k.

I used the forum for the majority of my research, and it definitely paid off in the end.

-Shadow
    Best research is done thru forums and nice man glad you're set up is what you want it. I do agree that although ride quality is affected; it's not to the point of wanting to visit a chiropractor to treat your back

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Shadow, you liking the V1s??? I'm looking into coilovers for my STI (all 4 corners are basically blown at this point, which is typical for 2005 STIs) and I've read nothing but good things about any of the KWs. V1 is what I was looking at considering it seems to be more of a "Street" valved/dampened coilover.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Shadow, you liking the V1s??? I'm looking into coilovers for my STI (all 4 corners are basically blown at this point, which is typical for 2005 STIs) and I've read nothing but good things about any of the KWs. V1 is what I was looking at considering it seems to be more of a "Street" valved/dampened coilover.
    I do like them, I've had them for almost two years. Great value for the money. The ride is definitely firm compared to stock, but not harsh. I would agree that they are a good "street" choice.
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Midnight Black Pearl
    2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon 5MT - Dark Gray Metallic

Nice. Thank you for the feedback.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I upgraded the suspension on my 2002 WRX at around 120k miles. I replaced the struts and springs with KW V1 coilovers, the swaybars with Whiteline 22 mm front and rear, the end links with Kartboys front and rear, and the strut top mounts with Subaru Group N's front and rear.

My ride quality was definitely affected because of the lower ride height and stiffness associated with the coilovers. However, I'm very happy with my setup. My car handles so much better than stock, and while it is stiffer, the ride quality hasn't been comprised to the point of frustration or annoyance.

Total part cost: approximately $2k.

I used the forum for the majority of my research, and it definitely paid off in the end.

-Shadow
    Great info! Thanks.

LOL - I see in your sig we have the same kind of cars basically (a Bugeye and 2009+). Too attached to your Bugeye to give it up like I am?
    2012 Black WRX Premium
    2003 wrb WRX - Cobb Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by 03WRX View Post
    Great info! Thanks.

LOL - I see in your sig we have the same kind of cars basically (a Bugeye and 2009+). Too attached to your Bugeye to give it up like I am?
    Oh yes! 157k and she's still going strong. My 2002 WRX was a college graduation gift to myself. I ordered her without as much as a test drive of another 2002 WRX, and I didn't even know how to drive a manual. I have no plans to sell. When the miles crosses 100k I started to think what else I would like to drive. I thought about buying a GTI when the 2008 WRX came up lame (IMO), but when Subaru stepped up in 2009, I test drove one and then ordered my car.

-Shadow

That sounds like a very good upgrade Shadow. I've heard a lot of good things about the KW Variants (all models) but especially the V1 for street cars (as opposed to street and track cars). Combine that with the small size Whiteline bars and upgraded links and you've got a great setup! For a street/track car the Variant 2 with 24mm sways would be the way to go, or possibly a mix of the 24 front/22 rear. And of course always get adjustable sways and not the fixed ones regardless of brand!

Did you get the adjustable or fixed? If adjustable what holes do you have the front/rear bars set to?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    That sounds like a very good upgrade Shadow. I've heard a lot of good things about the KW Variants (all models) but especially the V1 for street cars (as opposed to street and track cars). Combine that with the small size Whiteline bars and upgraded links and you've got a great setup! For a street/track car the Variant 2 with 24mm sways would be the way to go, or possibly a mix of the 24 front/22 rear. And of course always get adjustable sways and not the fixed ones regardless of brand!

Did you get the adjustable or fixed? If adjustable what holes do you have the front/rear bars set to?
    Adjustable, so that in the event of a setup change I would have a little flexibility. The front is set to the front setting (for the largest effective diameter), and the rear is set to the middle setting.

-Shadow

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.