Lowering my 2012 WRX and keeping the OEM shocks - Suggestions? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Lowering my 2012 WRX and keeping the OEM shocks - Suggestions? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How does the car ride with the Eibach Pro Kit and the OEM shocks? I really like the way that ...

How does the car ride with the Eibach Pro Kit and the OEM shocks?

I really like the way that looks but I'd be worried about the ride quality on the crappy roads here in Cincinnati...
    - Nick

2012 WRB Impreza WRX Limited Sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Like mikie said I live in Fl. We have the occasional crappy road, cobblestone road, and pothole filled road but overall they are flat and smooth. I have to say the ride quality of the prokit is great. It's not bumpy and harsh at all

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5TurboWRX View Post
    How does the car ride with the Eibach Pro Kit and the OEM shocks?

I really like the way that looks but I'd be worried about the ride quality on the crappy roads here in Cincinnati...
    It rides pretty good. Some of the harsher potholes and bridge seams are a little jarring but its no worse than cars I've owned with aftermarket struts
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    It rides pretty good. Some of the harsher potholes and bridge seams are a little jarring but its no worse than cars I've owned with aftermarket struts
    Couldn't be any worse than my STI with a complete set of blown struts
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

This is really a tough decision...

On one hand I know that the RCE Black springs are probably the best option for me when it comes to the longevity of my OEM shocks. But on the other hand, the H&R Sports and the Eibach Pro Kit are both cheaper and will lower the car a little more than the RCE Blacks. Like I mentioned in my original post, I don't mind wearing out the OEM shocks faster but I also don't want to sacrafice the stock "sport" feel. I mean let's face it, we all didn't buy a WRX for a smooth, floating on a cloud style ride but at the same time, I don't need or want to feel every bump in the road...
    - Nick

My suggestion would be to do it right the first time. No sense in buying springs, only to turn around and replace the struts shortly after. I would wait a bit, save a little money, and buy the springs, struts, and mounts at once. Then have TIC align it to what you want and call it a day.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.5TurboWRX
    I just so happen to live a few blocks away from TIC and I believe they sell them and can install them for me.
    You live a few blocks from one of the best Subaru vendors around, who happen to be suspension experts, and you're asking us idiots?! Get in your car, drive down there, and go talk to Tony/Clint in person...

If the RCE Blacks for new MYs are anything like the ones I put on my car, I love them.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Haha, I hear you. I was just looking for real life input from people who have tried the "outside the box" methods of lowering their car.

And speaking of TIC, I did contact them. They highly recommended the RCE Blacks as the only aftermarket spring capable of being paired with the OEM shocks. At this point, that is the direction I'm leaning, it's just so tempting seeing WRX's lowered on Eibach and H&R springs on the stock shocks...
    - Nick

I Support ClubWRX
    Epic springs and Konis here. I LOVE my ride now, but I was hitting the bump stops and feeling vulnerable as hell for the few thousand miles I drove on the stock struts. I'm with jd - just do it all and get it right the first time. One day - Springs, struts, alignment, done. If you're not doing the installs yourself, you'll save a ton of labor costs this way. If you are, you'll save yourself a ton of time.
    Greg
    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I have a WRX premium sedan and went with the Epic springs which I'm currently running on stock struts. My goal was to get ride of that horrific wheel gap (lowered to the point it looks like a sports car but not a racing car) and eliminate some of the body roll (I've read that it helps with under-steer too; however, I don't track my car or drive it to those types of limits on public roads ... so I can't speak to that). So far I'm pretty happy with the set-up. I've had them installed now maybe 5-6 months and a few thousand miles. I personally have not hit the bump-stops ... at least not yet ... and I've hit a couple good bumps that I didn't see until the last second. I do plan on installing matched performance shocks in the future, but wanted to get what I could out of the stock shocks for now and use my "car budget" for other modifications.

I attached a pic to try and give you an idea on how much it lowered it (sorry for crappy iPhone pic)

Hope this helps ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	107165
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    This thread needs moar.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Ok so I met up with a local guy last night who is running RCE Blacks on his 2012 Sedan and after seeing his car I've decided to order a set. I was pleasantly surprised by how much the RCE Blacks lowered his car. It was a night and day difference next to mine and it rode almost exactly the same as my stock springs. It will probably be a little while before I order the springs, but I'll update this thread whenever I get them on the car.

Thanks for all of the pictures and input!
    - Nick

I know you ordered RCE's but wanted to chime in. I ran eibach's and hated them. Besides clunking, the ride was horrible. I just installed Epic springs last saturday and the drop is just like the picture above but the ride is so much better. +1 for Epic.

the rce springs are an excellent choice. Glad you picked those as they will not do you wrong.

The factory dampers however.. are completely terrible. This car is so far under-damped its not even remotely funny. Change the dampers as soon as you have the $$ and you'll be amazed at the improvement.
    Last edited by mangostick; 08-20-2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: laptop keyboars and my spelling suck
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5TurboWRX View Post
    Ok so I met up with a local guy last night who is running RCE Blacks on his 2012 Sedan and after seeing his car I've decided to order a set. I was pleasantly surprised by how much the RCE Blacks lowered his car. It was a night and day difference next to mine and it rode almost exactly the same as my stock springs. It will probably be a little while before I order the springs, but I'll update this thread whenever I get them on the car.

Thanks for all of the pictures and input!
    Any update to getting the RCE blacks on your sedan? I have done a good amount of searching for pics of an 11' sedan lowered on RCE Blacks without results. I would especially love to see a WRB sedan lowered on them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12