2011 wrx brake upgrade

This is a discussion on 2011 wrx brake upgrade within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was looking to upgrade the brakes on my 2011 wrx to Subaru 4 pot front and 2 pot rear ...

2011 wrx brake upgrade

I was looking to upgrade the brakes on my 2011 wrx to Subaru 4 pot front and 2 pot rear calipers. Iv been looking around to find some info but i couldn't find any. I have heard that the Subaru 4 pot are just as good if not better than the brembos. What year calipers would work for the front and rear? what caliper brackets work? what rotors work? do i need to change brakes lines? I saw that 16 inch wheels are an issue but the only time i run 16s are steelies for snow tires. Any info is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The fronts are a straight across swap. The rears are not.

If you want to upgrade your brakes, think about some DOT 4+ or 5 fluid, stainless lines, ferodo DS2500 pads, and some nice rotors (DBA/Brembo/Powerslot/Stoptech/Carbonetics). The '11 brake calipers aren't bad, the whole system has been designed for street use though... put the stuff on that I mentioned, and you can easily do track days.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

What year would work? do i need to change rotors? Im not planing for a track day. I just wanna do a fun daily driver and make it even better.

Where did you hear that the Subaru brakes are better than the Brembos (the company that has some of the most respected brakes in the world used on more race cars than any other brand)?

As Kevin said pads, rotors, fluid, and stainless lines will do all you need at this point. I don't understand your comment on the 16" wheels. If you use them at all they're going to be a problem with larger rotors...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

ok. well brembos are crazy expensive and crazy expensive to replace. this being my daily driver i dont want that. i just want a good cheaper side upgrade. i was asking if i need to use different rotor with 4 pot calipers. my wheels fit a 16 rim now. i figure i can buy a used set for cheap. i just wanna know what i should get.

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't get calipers. Just get pads, rotors, lines, and fluid.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Anyone have suggestions on pads? I've had good experience w/ Hawke's on a Mazda3 and Carbotechs on a autocross/track day setup Miata. New to the Subaru game tho, so looking for fresh insight.
    Last edited by rikkyb30; 05-01-2012 at 04:15 AM.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I personally like Project Mu brake pads.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Hawk makes some good pads. Since you're just looking for a street upgrade their HPS Sport pads would do fine. I wouldn't recommend those for track use though and would go up to Hawk race pads or Ferodo. There's a few other companies that make excellent pads too, but those two companies have more than enough choices for what you want.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rikkyb30 View Post
    Anyone have suggestions on pads? I've had good experience w/ Hawke's on a Mazda3 and Carbotechs on a autocross/track day setup Miata. New to the Subaru game tho, so looking for fresh insight.
    I'm a huge fan of ferodo. The DS2500 is their Street and Sometimes Track pad. It's got great cold bite (I've had quite a few below 0 days where they did great) has light to medium dust (I'd lean towards medium) and resists fading under high temp very well. I've had my rotors steaming hot before (the DBA rotor has 3 colored hash marks for temp and all 3 colors had changed) and the pads had no problems handling it. They lasted a long time too, which was nice.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ