Just ordered new summer shoes ... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Just ordered new summer shoes ... within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by rage-wrx I may have missed something somewhere.Weren't you the guy who hated black wheels as much as ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I may have missed something somewhere.Weren't you the guy who hated black wheels as much as Lokey hates RAmudflaps?

In any case they look great.
    Yes ... these are not black. Closer to than I'd like though ...

I think they are easier to look at than the PC'd Weds.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Lokey hates RA's??
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I was looking at those at the time I bought the Enkei wheels last year for my STI, but they were just a bit too pricey at the time for my budget.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

The new wheels look great.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

I just ordered new summer shoes too since I'm taking my STI to the track this weekend and my stock tires are going to be toast. I went with the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec due to the reviews that put them near the top of the heap combined with the price that's pretty low as far as very high performance summer tires goes.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    A few early observations on the new shoes ...

The improved ride quality is no fluke. At the same tire pressures (35 F, 33 R) I run the Dunlops at, the WRX feels like it has somewhat softer springs again. I've been through a few sets, working my way up to the current RCE yellows. The rude shock of a harsh bit of road isn't as bad now. The Michelins are quiet compared to the Dunlops. Not that tire noise is a real factor with a Cobb TBE equipped WRX.

While I am waiting to get a few hundred miles racked up before really leaning on them, I've taken some very familiar corners at a speed that would make many drivers queasy. The Michelins feel planted and secure. I have a set of Falken Ziex ZE912s for my "winter" tires. They feel fairly controlled but a tad squirrely in these familiar corners, with a ride that is busier than the Michelins.

Once I have the Michelins broken in, I think I'll take a weekend and do some tire / wheel swaps, then drive out to some of the fun roads I know well to compare to the the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs. This will be a fun weekend!

I'm getting more used to the darker wheels. If you take a look at the Mods & Pics link in my sig, you will see I did not prominently display the Weds after the refinish. Didn't think much of them then.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I just ordered new summer shoes too since I'm taking my STI to the track this weekend and my stock tires are going to be toast. I went with the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec due to the reviews that put them near the top of the heap combined with the price that's pretty low as far as very high performance summer tires goes.
    The Star Specs are amazing autox tires, with a high level of feedback through the steering wheel and tons of grip. They are best when the tarmac is dry. I have read some accounts where they get greasy when hot. I also found them to be a bit lacking in the wet once the tread wears down below 6/32" or so. I clearly remember getting caught in a torrential downpour during the drive down to CretinFest 2010. I had 0WD at times.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 04-21-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    While I am waiting to get a few hundred miles racked up before really leaning on them, I've taken some very familiar corners at a speed that would make many drivers queasy. The Michelins feel planted and secure. I have a set of Falken Ziex ZE912s for my "winter" tires. They feel fairly controlled but a tad squirrely in these familiar corners, with a ride that is busier than the Michelins.
    You're comparing your summer to A/S tires. These turns you speak of, is there a speed loss between them? I know when I swap between my summer/winter setups, I vary ~15mph on a sweeping Interstate off-ramp.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You're comparing your summer to A/S tires. These turns you speak of, is there a speed loss between them? I know when I swap between my summer/winter setups, I vary ~15mph on a sweeping Interstate off-ramp.
    The Falkens are closer to a summer tire than a winter. The comparison between the two was just for general feel and ride, not performance. Yes, a measurable speed loss. Being on 2 lane Victory Meet type roads it is hard to come up with actual numbers. It's more about confidence and feel.

Make any sense?
    Mods & Pics

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Looks great Bill!

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    welcome to the OZ club lol
    Y u no welcome me?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    The Falkens are closer to a summer tire than a winter. The comparison between the two was just for general feel and ride, not performance. Yes, a measurable speed loss. Being on 2 lane Victory Meet type roads it is hard to come up with actual numbers. It's more about confidence and feel.

Make any sense?
    I guess. I can somewhat equate it to the figures I pointed out earlier; I feel make the turn ~50 on my winters, and 65 on my summers. I could probably push both more, but it's beyond where I'm comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by zax
    Y u no welcome me?
    Because she doesn't like you...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Haven't been autoxing in nearly two years. I've lost a lot of my ability and feel for when the WRX might start to break loose. Have to go out and get some seat time again. The next event is 5/6 - the day after the Victory Meet.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Update ...

Did a lot of driving today before, during, and after the Victory Meet today. I had the opportunity to take several very familiar turns at a pretty good clip. The Michelins were easily able to handle what I asked of them. I still need to ask more.

I have yet to go what I consider a safe maximum on well known public roads, but am impressed with the feel / feedback of the Pilot Super Sports.

Now that it has started to rain again in this area, I have had some wet road experience with the new shoes. I suppose any new tire would do better than the ~ 4-5/32" Dunlop / Falken I've been driving on recently. The PSSs were nothing short of perfect in the moderate wet I've been through so far.

I'll post up my impressions when I encounter some serous heavy rain with standing water at highway speeds. Stay tuned.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    glad to hear the tires are working, seem to be pretty good ones
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.