Subaru WRX Forum banner

Summer Tire Recommendation

10K views 53 replies 19 participants last post by  MainFrame 
#1 ·
Well I need new tires. Unfortunately I had planned on getting Ventus V12's but they are back order in my region without a ETA.
I live in Atlantic Canada, so prices are higher and ordering from TireRack is still expensive, I rather get it locally if I can.

So I drive a 09 WRX completely stock, even the rims. My car is my DD (so they need to perform in the wet) but I like the occasional spirited drive and run a few AutoX a year (just for fun, not competitive).
I'm looking at a tire that will not break the bank, but will give me the performance I need.
Here's a few options I was looking at, that are in my price range. If you have any recommendation that are not on the list, please let me know.

BF Goodrich Gforce Sport
BF Goodrich Gforce T/A KDW

Bridgestone Potenza re760 sport
Sumitomo HTR Z III
Falken FK-452
Kumho spt

I know this is probably a "tired" question, but your help is much appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
check out tire rack, they should have some and often will ship free. Personally I run Nitto NT-555's and though they are good, I will not get them for a second go round. They are decently priced though and definitely grippy.

#9 ·
Also, When driving highway speeds (80 plus really so depends on highway) in a straight line the car wiggles. Not sure how to describe it other than that but the car literally just seems to wiggle back and forth. I know its tire related as it doesn't do it with my winters or my old tires. Not sure what would cause this, and it isn't dramatic enough to be dangerous but it is slightly annoying.

Reactions: T0rque
#19 ·
I had this happen when fitting quite large S-O3s (at the time considered among the cream of the crop) in the rear of one of my cars. Seemed related to the S-O3 and maybe it was initially. However the dampers were wearing out. It could be sticky rubber + suspension, not just sticky rubber.

#12 ·
#23 ·
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec. They took top spot in the C&D test below. Their real world wet performance could be a bit better.

I have the direzza's and I like them...
I'm considering my third set of the Dunlops.

#32 ·
I got talked into the Sumitomo HTR ZIII for my STI. I paid $130/tire. I have to say these tires are great.

There were better tires to be had for sure, but I can corner as hard as I want without loosing the road, the wheels don't spin on agressive launches - I think I found my perfect balance of cost vs performance. If these tires last as long as they were advertised to me (30K miles), I will be buying them again.

#34 ·
:rotfl:

You'll love em...I don't play with my **** as much, but I do have the same tires :rotfl:

#35 ·
Don't overlook the Goodyear Asymmetric 2 - they are top rated in all the European tests, only 21lbs. in 225/45/17, and I find them to be excellently behaved and only slightly short of the famous star spec for dry grip. Outstanding in the wet too. Supposed to wear fairly long. I paid $550 after rebate IIRC.

#36 ·
I was having a hard time deciding between the performance of the Dunlop Star Specs against the Wet Traction, comfort and noise of the Continental ExtremeContact DW, until I threw the Michelin Pilot Super Sports into the mix and realized I can have both.

I realize this is compiled from Tire Rack reviews, but it is pretty compelling. I wish I had data on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's!

#42 ·
I was having a hard time deciding between the performance of the Dunlop Star Specs against the Wet Traction, comfort and noise of the Continental ExtremeContact DW, until I threw the Michelin Pilot Super Sports into the mix and realized I can have both.
I would've bought the Contis for sure if it weren't for the price. In the STI stock size, they're a LOT more expensive than the Direzza Star Specs!!!

#40 · (Edited)
Great article on the Eagle F1 Asym2's
Sampling the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - Motor Trend

Not comforting words:
Naturally, there are tradeoffs when designing tires, but Goodyear felt it was acceptable to forgo improving the Asymmetric 2's hydroplaning resistance, noise, and mileage. To help combat tire rumble, the final tread pitch sequence called for 72 blocks on the inner portion of the asymmetric pattern, and the outer section would receive 64 blocks. As for aquaplaning and mileage concerns, we're fairly certain that performance tire buyers are well aware that a softer compound won't easily resist degradation, and that driving in heavy rain should be done with tires ready to disperse moving and standing bodies of water.
Or
If you're a fan of the Michelin Man, you may be frothing at the mouth and screaming, "Where is the Pilot Sport PS2, or a similar French tire?!" According to Goodyear, it couldn't buy a competitive Michelin from the available retail options in the size needed (the A7 rocks the 255/40/19 tire size). Whether Goodyear should have asked its rivals directly for a couple sets is up for debate.

#43 ·
Great article on the Eagle F1 Asym2's
Sampling the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - Motor Trend

Not comforting words:

Or
The pilot sport PS3 was included in one of the tests (came in second after the F1).

I don't know what they are trying to say about hydroplaning - they have excellent hydroplaning resistance (theoretically due to the large grooves around the circumference) in my experience and in tests. The previous model was already known for that. As far as noise, they seem pretty quiet to me (way quieter than star-spec). They also have relatively high wear ratings in all reviews :confused:

#41 ·
kind of frustrating how much more $ the STI size tires are...

I wanted the Michelin Pilot Super Sport - but they would have been ~ $1K for the tires installed. I was still about to go for it, but decided to give the Sumitomo's a chance. I had just spent a bunch of money on a blue topaz ring for my wife's birthday, so trying the cheaper tire was definitely on my mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.