Summer Tire Recommendation - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Summer Tire Recommendation within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by A265 I believe you when you say that guy knows his ****, and plays with his ****. ...

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    I believe you when you say that guy knows his ****, and plays with his ****. But unfortunatly my location messes me up again, there's only 2 in my size left in my region.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 tires.
    Falken fk-452
    Bridgestone potenza re760 sport

The potenza's are only $30 more, so price isn't a factor in my decision between the 2. I've heard the Falken would grip more, but are louder and don't last as long.
    Anyone have exprience with the potenza's?
    My FK-452s were very good on the street, the price was great.
    The road track (and my inexperience) killed them the first track day. But, they were still very good on the street.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I got talked into the Sumitomo HTR ZIII for my STI. I paid $130/tire. I have to say these tires are great.

There were better tires to be had for sure, but I can corner as hard as I want without loosing the road, the wheels don't spin on agressive launches - I think I found my perfect balance of cost vs performance. If these tires last as long as they were advertised to me (30K miles), I will be buying them again.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Well I took the advice from the guy who knows and plays with his ****.

My Cooper tires are on the way.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    Well I took the advice from the guy who knows and plays with his ****.

My Cooper tires are on the way.

Thanks guys.

You'll love em...I don't play with my **** as much, but I do have the same tires
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Don't overlook the Goodyear Asymmetric 2 - they are top rated in all the European tests, only 21lbs. in 225/45/17, and I find them to be excellently behaved and only slightly short of the famous star spec for dry grip. Outstanding in the wet too. Supposed to wear fairly long. I paid $550 after rebate IIRC.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I was having a hard time deciding between the performance of the Dunlop Star Specs against the Wet Traction, comfort and noise of the Continental ExtremeContact DW, until I threw the Michelin Pilot Super Sports into the mix and realized I can have both.

I realize this is compiled from Tire Rack reviews, but it is pretty compelling. I wish I had data on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's!

I Support ClubWRX

Went with Dunlop SportMaxx TT and hope will be happy with them

They do look great, and I'll definitively look into those next time around. But they just shipped my tires so I'll give those coopers a shot.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Great article on the Eagle F1 Asym2's
    Sampling the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - Motor Trend

Not comforting words:
    Naturally, there are tradeoffs when designing tires, but Goodyear felt it was acceptable to forgo improving the Asymmetric 2's hydroplaning resistance, noise, and mileage. To help combat tire rumble, the final tread pitch sequence called for 72 blocks on the inner portion of the asymmetric pattern, and the outer section would receive 64 blocks. As for aquaplaning and mileage concerns, we're fairly certain that performance tire buyers are well aware that a softer compound won't easily resist degradation, and that driving in heavy rain should be done with tires ready to disperse moving and standing bodies of water.
    Or
    If you're a fan of the Michelin Man, you may be frothing at the mouth and screaming, "Where is the Pilot Sport PS2, or a similar French tire?!" According to Goodyear, it couldn't buy a competitive Michelin from the available retail options in the size needed (the A7 rocks the 255/40/19 tire size). Whether Goodyear should have asked its rivals directly for a couple sets is up for debate.
    Last edited by SamXp; 04-17-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    kind of frustrating how much more $ the STI size tires are...

I wanted the Michelin Pilot Super Sport - but they would have been ~ $1K for the tires installed. I was still about to go for it, but decided to give the Sumitomo's a chance. I had just spent a bunch of money on a blue topaz ring for my wife's birthday, so trying the cheaper tire was definitely on my mind.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by SamXp View Post
    I was having a hard time deciding between the performance of the Dunlop Star Specs against the Wet Traction, comfort and noise of the Continental ExtremeContact DW, until I threw the Michelin Pilot Super Sports into the mix and realized I can have both.
    I would've bought the Contis for sure if it weren't for the price. In the STI stock size, they're a LOT more expensive than the Direzza Star Specs!!!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SamXp View Post
    Great article on the Eagle F1 Asym2's
    Sampling the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - Motor Trend

Not comforting words:

Or
    The pilot sport PS3 was included in one of the tests (came in second after the F1).

I don't know what they are trying to say about hydroplaning - they have excellent hydroplaning resistance (theoretically due to the large grooves around the circumference) in my experience and in tests. The previous model was already known for that. As far as noise, they seem pretty quiet to me (way quieter than star-spec). They also have relatively high wear ratings in all reviews

I got my tires yesterday, getting them installed on Monday, along with a custom alignment.

hankook v12's were okay. gonna try star specs once my v12's wear out
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.