Help with brakes for 06 sti hatchback PLEASE!!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help with brakes for 06 sti hatchback PLEASE!!! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey i just got a 08 wrx sti hatchback i had to get new brakes right away cause the dealership ...

Help with brakes for 06 sti hatchback PLEASE!!!

hey i just got a 08 wrx sti hatchback i had to get new brakes right away cause the dealership i got it from were a bunch of idiots, i went to a local garage and ever since then my brakes have been squeaking and grinding. its been back twice since the initial brake job should i have told him to only use Subaru parts ? im pretty sure he put some "gold rated" brakes on there
    (my girl works the desk there and she told me they were "gold" or top quality) what should i do ?
    Last edited by kaneibus13; 04-09-2012 at 12:22 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    First of all, Subaru didn't make an STI hatchback in 2006 (not in the US anyway). This matters because the four pot WRX brakes differ from the STI Brembos. Could you post a picture of the brake caliper to clarify?

Second, find out EXACTLY what brand and model of pads were installed. Performance pads like Hawks or StopTechs require a "bedding in" procedure, and will squeal and scratch until you do that (it involves several hard stops at speed to heat them up and condition the pad compounds).

The other issue might be lack of pad lube on the back surface of the pad. This is another common cause of squeaking.

First, let's figure out exactly what calipers you have and what pads the shop installed.
    Last edited by Rambo; 04-09-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    First of all, Subaru didn't make an STI hatchback in 2006 (not in the US anyway).
    Talking to OP in chat, it's an 08 STi, he made a typo lol.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    Talking to OP in chat, it's an 08 STi, he made a typo lol.
    Ah, so that's one question answered, then.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Did they do anything with the Rotors as well?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

All I really got from him was that they replaced the pads+rotors, he doesn't know what brand, went back 2x and they "fixed" them and the problem still happens, and he's not 100% sure about proper lubing. (that's what she said!!)

I told him to get whatever money of his they have back and take it to someone/somewhere that knows Subaru's and can do it properly.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

If they put real aggressive pads on, they'll squeal and grind no matter what they do to them.

Edit, just noticed Rambo said this already.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

yeah i realize i made a typo on the year i have two cars an 06 bmw z-4 m series and the 08 sti

im just trying to figure out how to get my **** fixed or if the noise is normal or what.... the garage owner said he put gold grade **** on there , mt girl works there im havin her look up the brand and **** now i should know soon

Double check if there are two brake shims per pad. Totalling up to 16 Shims. Some people don't replace both shims. Other than that, all of the above mentioned are good places to check too.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.