2012 WRX bottoms out very easily
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX bottoms out very easily within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My New WRX is fun to drive except that the suspension bottoms out on dips and small bumps surprisingly easily. ...

zra

My New WRX is fun to drive except that the suspension bottoms out on dips and small bumps surprisingly easily. Just driving around L.A. I can bottom it out on normal streets at 35 MPH at least 3 or 4 times in 10 miles. Forget about the unseen pothole or sudden rise. It sounds like I'm going to break the front half of the car off.

Does anyone else have this issue? Should I take it to the dealer or is this normal? Are there longer travel components that can be installed? I know most people want to lower their WRXs, but I'm fine with raising mine an inch if it means I wont hear than nasty "bang" so often.

Oh and I weigh about 210 BTW

Thanks
    -Ezra
    Last edited by zra; 03-17-2012 at 11:34 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Check out Feal. They made my strut revalves and I put on King springs for a total lift of about 1.25" after most of the break in. The rides a little stiffer but I don't get that feeling of being slammed as often now. You can always check out my build threads on 3gwrx or DirtyImpreza for some pics, since its a giant PITA to post pics from my phone. Same username as this on both sites too
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Quote Originally Posted by zra View Post
    My New WRX is fun to drive except that the suspension bottoms out on dips and small bumps surprisingly easily. Just driving around L.A. I can bottom it out on normal streets at 35 MPH at least 3 or 4 times in 10 miles. Forget about the unseen pothole or sudden rise. It sounds like I'm going to break the front half of the car off.

Does anyone else have this issue? Should I take it to the dealer or is this normal? Are there longer travel components that can be installed? I know most people want to lower their WRXs, but I'm fine with raising mine an inch if it means I wont hear than nasty "bang" so often.

Oh and I weigh about 210 BTW

Thanks
    -Ezra
    I have similar scenario. I plan to put stiffer springs and shocks.
    ps. wish i bought the STI.

zra
    Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    Check out Feal. They made my strut revalves and I put on King springs for a total lift of about 1.25" after most of the break in. The rides a little stiffer but I don't get that feeling of being slammed as often now. You can always check out my build threads on 3gwrx or DirtyImpreza for some pics, since its a giant PITA to post pics from my phone. Same username as this on both sites too
    Thanks, I'll check it out

zra
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012-SWP-WRX View Post
    I have similar scenario. I plan to put stiffer springs and shocks.
    Is stiffer what you want or longer travel?

I had this same experience with my 2011 wrx as I go thru bumps

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    WRX have always involved the bump stops in the normal suspension action - stiffer springs without much drop will help. I trimmed a nub off of my bump stops on my '03 when I put on the RCE blacks - even with >1" drop I hit them much less often now.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Anyone else want to chime in and offer up a solution to this? I hit a bump hard enough on I40 in Raleigh NC that I thought the hood was gonna unlatch and fly off. Thinking of cutting my bump stops but am not sure that is the best solution.

I have not have mine bottom out once ... all OE set-up. I don't know what kind of bumps you got going on there lol. You're not riding with fat chics are you?

subd!

Re: 2012 WRX bottoms out very easily

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    I have not have mine bottom out once ... all OE set-up. I don't know what kind of bumps you got going on there lol. You're not riding with fat chics are you?
    Lmao! -- fat chicks aside, I've had my 2013 WRX for a little over a week now and we have some rough roads in PA. I haven't bottomed out yet.
    2013 WRX Sedan DGM

-Paul

I had mine bottom out once on crappy Baltimore roads...you are not alone. I haven't done anything to the suspension to fix this, but I plan on it eventually. It hasn't been a problem since then though.

Quote Originally Posted by Axex View Post
    I had mine bottom out once on crappy Baltimore roads...you are not alone. I haven't done anything to the suspension to fix this, but I plan on it eventually. It hasn't been a problem since then though.
    wow... did I just get lucky with stiffer springs or something? lol

2014 wrx hatch here and it bottoms out everywhere. Just did a rallycross in stock form and quit halfway through because it sounded so bad: feels like someone's hitting each fender with a sledgehammer. Not even huge bumps involved. The suspension fully compressed in a turn, leaning nothing to absorb bumps... Then slam, slam, slam. Pathetic. Shame on subaru for such a lame suspension on a car that's supposed to be made to so this stuff. Can't handle small potholes and bumps in be road well either.

I Support ClubWRX
    Define "bottom out".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast