All season tires

This is a discussion on All season tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am going to be buying a set of all season tires for my 07 wrx stock wheels (215/45 17) ...

All season tires

I am going to be buying a set of all season tires for my 07 wrx stock wheels (215/45 17) and am hoping to get some advice before I pull the trigger.

I would go with a summer tire like I have now, but for as many times that I make it up to the snow each winter, I cant justify it. I was probably going to buy them through Costco and I know that they only offer tires from a few brands. After doing to research I have come up with a short list of tires that I am deciding between. However, my mind can be changed so I figured why not ask people that have much more experience than I do.

In order of consideration:

1. Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position This is the only one of the three that I found on the Costco site as well.

2. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

3. BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S

Does anyone have an opinion on which of the three would be a better choice? Or dose anyone have a better suggestion?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    A recent Consumer Reports listing:

Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

The Potenzas. grippy but not spine shaking stiff.

Currently have Goodyear Eagle GTs, STIFF AS HELL. but feedback is great. I take it off road and did quite decently on ice.

And don't go to Costco, I myself have a membership card and I will never go to Costco again for tires.
    Wait time is ridiculous
    Selection of tires AT the store is crap.
    Wait time sucks.

I went to Americas Tires for my GTs, $550 installed
    I should have gone to Discount Tire Direct, about $20 more but they include free puncture repair unlike America's Tires which charge an extra fee per tire.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I had the potenza 960 - they were fantastic tires.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

i have those michelins, and they are alright. have had them for just over a year now.

not as grippy as the summers, but good for a daily driver. good handling in the rain too.

Nice chart. I am in the middle of this process as well.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    I am always shocked at how different consumer reports rankings are from Tire Rack rankings. I think there are some biases afoot there.
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I am always shocked at how different consumer reports rankings are from Tire Rack rankings. I think there are some biases afoot there.
    I've been a CR subscriber for well over 20 years. I'd say CR has the least biased ratings as they do not sell, just test. This UHPAS tire test results varied from the last ones they did a few years back.

At that time the Falken Ziex ZE912 were a "Best Buy" which sold me on a set that I am still running on. I do not know if their testing methods changed, or other tire models improved or the ZE912 is no longer made the same way. I'd guess a combination of all three. Maybe.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I've been a CR subscriber for well over 20 years. I'd say CR has the least biased ratings as they do not sell, just test. This UHPAS tire test results varied from the last ones they did a few years back.

At that time the Falken Ziex ZE912 were a "Best Buy" which sold me on a set that I am still running on. I do not know if their testing methods changed, or other tire models improved or the ZE912 is no longer made the same way. I'd guess a combination of all three. Maybe.
    I don't know, it was rated above the 960 Potenza in that last chart IIRC, and now it isn't. I don't think they change them unless they release a new model (to brag about the improvements). The new 970 Potenza is the top pick on Tire Rack now, and the 960 is still 6th. I have used forum input and Tire rack consumer ratings and tests, and you really just can't go wrong with any of the ones at the top of the charts. I'm sure the same would be true for the Consumer Reports. I do like the spider charts much better than these silly red and black symbols. Also, CR are just flat are wrong on 960 Potenza wear rating. They are among the best in the group. Also, it seems they get dinged by rolling resistance, but the P zero got the lowest mileage in Tire Rack's tests. Without those two scores, they would be at or near the top of the list.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	102757
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	102758
    Tires : Test Results : The Tire Rack