2006 Subaru Impreza struts

This is a discussion on 2006 Subaru Impreza struts within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have 80K plus miles on my 2006 Impreza TR. Daily driver, no extremes. Does original struts due for replacement? ...

Fair Lawn NJ, Brooklyn NY, Odessa Ukraine

2006 Subaru Impreza struts

I have 80K plus miles on my 2006 Impreza TR. Daily driver, no extremes. Does original struts due for replacement? I don't remember how exactly new car felt, it's been awhile, but I have suspicion that struts is softer now than it should be. If replace what brand recommend and what else should be replace while I am there?
    Thanks!
    Alex

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Stock struts tend to fail right around 80k miles so now is the great time to replace them. KYB GR2s are a good OEM style replacement. They come in both sedan and wagon versions. Also, at 80K miles other suspension bits start going as well whcih includes:

Strut Mounts/Top Hats
    Ball joints
    Bumpstops
    Tie Rods
    Various other Bushings

Thus, now would be a good time to refresh or even upgrade if you are so inclined. I did this with my '05 about 15K miles ago. I have a thread about it (read the whole thing as I made a few updates and changes):

KYB GR2s review and some info
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 02-20-2012 at 06:12 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have to ask they are likely at least passable. Check your boots. If they are seeping or cracked or dry enough to be suspect, consider doing everything "while it's all apart." Stock Subaru boots and bands, any aftermarket grease, and for suspension there is Kayaba and Tokico priced lower than Koni and less of a science project than Koni.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

mine failed at 60k-ish, go for something new?
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Thanks for reply all!
    Seems, I need to get ready for some suspension work soon. Going to start collecting necessary parts when decide which way I am going.
    What I already read and gather in last couple days is that KYB GR2 is preferred choice for many who is not incline to drop the car height and use with stock springs or similar lengths, in another words not to use with shorter springs. Am I correct? If I'll go this pass and use GR2's should I also replace stock spring at this mileage? If yes what nice brand for spirited daily driving and affordable price?
    Also if one decide to drop the car height slightly, what is the intervals available, how many inch?
    And what drawbacks?
    I do not want to kill my main purpose for buying this car and use without hesitation in deep snow, etc... basically get to my job in reasonably bad snowstorm..stuff like that.
    But may be small drop won't hurt and I can combine good drivability, better cornering (less understeer) and much better look (with less wheel gap).
    What set ups is recommended?
    And SD_GR, buddy, I didn't completely got what you saying, sorry
    "If you have to ask they are likely at least passable. Check your boots. If they are seeping or cracked or dry enough to be suspect, consider doing everything "while it's all apart." Stock Subaru boots and bands, any aftermarket grease, and for suspension there is Kayaba and Tokico priced lower than Koni and less of a science project than Koni" <<< Do you mean take struts apart and fix with OEM parts? Can you please elaborate?
    Alex

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you want Subaru reliability go with Subaru struts. If you want to lower your car you're going to want something like Konis. I'd stay stock if it's a DD.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nofear6235 View Post
    And SD_GR, buddy, I didn't completely got what you saying, sorry
    "If you have to ask they are likely at least passable. Check your boots. If they are seeping or cracked or dry enough to be suspect, consider doing everything "while it's all apart." Stock Subaru boots and bands, any aftermarket grease, and for suspension there is Kayaba and Tokico priced lower than Koni and less of a science project than Koni" <<< Do you mean take struts apart and fix with OEM parts? Can you please elaborate?
    Alex
    Aha, yes, sorry, I was definitely not clear.

If you are wondering whether the dampers are OK, my suspicion is that they are at least useable for now -- you didn't, after all, post "my car is bouncing all around, I definitely need new dampers" so I'm thinking you may be OK. They are probably worn but passable for now.

The axle boots tend to wear out and crack or even leak. I was wondering whether you could put off the dampers until you remove the axles, then do everything all at once.

As to dampers: Konis are great but they require modding (slightly) your struts. Tokico and KYB do not, they are direct fits. The OEM damper is a KYB; the equivalent would be the KYB GR2 but the GR2 is said to be a bit firmer too. The AGX and Tokico equivalents are firmer still, and adjustable.

It sounds like you do not want to lose height and I don't blame you. However I don't know what spring choices minimize drop while adding stiffness.

To reduce understeer you may have to look at bars in addition to or even instead of springs.

Have a look at the TIC website I'd say.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

SD_RG < Thank you for enlited for me. Much appreciate!
    Alex

If you were to replace the springs when changing to the GR2s for a minimal drop and a little firmer the STi Pinks (non JDM verison) are a great choice. I believe SubaruGenuineParts.com || Where Genuine is Better! has them for $200. However, I would definitely give TiC a call and talk to Tony or Clint as they can probably put together a nice package for you.

www.turninconcepts.com

thanks for the info c2bcool