About Cable Chains? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on About Cable Chains? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is the issue w/ chains the clearance problem? Cable chains should be fine in that regard. Or better yet, textile ...

Is the issue w/ chains the clearance problem? Cable chains should be fine in that regard. Or better yet, textile snow socks.
    - mikey

2013 WRX | DGM | GR | FACTORY STOCK

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
    Is the issue w/ chains the clearance problem? Cable chains should be fine in that regard. Or better yet, textile snow socks.
    They don't stay put though - they will push out away from the tire as far as they can due to the centrifugal force. I've only used real chains though on non-Subarus.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

When I purchased my car, I actually signed a waiver of some sort saying that I understood that I could not put chains on my car, and if I did, any problems resulting from that I take full responsibility. SOOO....who knows. Also in the manual for my car it says specifically do not use chains of any sort from what I remember. I own a 2013 wrx 5door.

I'm getting ready to drive across the country, from Washington State to New York. I swapped out the stock Dunlops on my '14 to Perelli P7's. So far I've been pretty happy with them, but considering the weather conditions between me and New York, I've been looking into chains or cables too. Unfortunately, the owners manual specifically states not to use chains due to the small clearances between the tires and the body.

Quote Originally Posted by twiget View Post
    I'm getting ready to drive across the country, from Washington State to New York. I swapped out the stock Dunlops on my '14 to Perelli P7's. So far I've been pretty happy with them, but considering the weather conditions between me and New York, I've been looking into chains or cables too. Unfortunately, the owners manual specifically states not to use chains due to the small clearances between the tires and the body.
    Don't do it. I would not put chains on any car I cared about, especially not a car with low clearance like the WRX.
    I've driven my WRX in some pretty serious snow with good winter tires, and it performs very well. It's only an issue when the snow is very deep, and chains will not solve that problem on a WRX.

Very simple: If the manual says no chains, then no chains. If it doesn't discuss the use of chains, do so at your own perils.

Personally, I went with a dedicated winter wheel set. An added expense? Yes...but worth it in the long run!

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwinf0f1 View Post
    Don't do it. I would not put chains on any car I cared about, especially not a car with low clearance like the WRX.
    I've driven my WRX in some pretty serious snow with good winter tires, and it performs very well. It's only an issue when the snow is very deep, and chains will not solve that problem on a WRX.
    Wasn't planning on it. Every time I've used chains on a previous vehicle, at least one strand has broken and torn up the fender and wheel well. That was on an old Chevy C/K series truck, so who cares if its got a few extra dents. So based on previous experience, I was kind of leery of using chains. The note in the owners manual put the final nail in that coffin.

The only reason I was looking into it was because it is too late in the season to justify a dedicated set of winter wheels & tires.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12