Better brakes (not bigger)
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Better brakes (not bigger) within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I would like to upgrade the brakes on my '11 WRX to 4 or 6 pot squeezers, but want to ...

I Support ClubWRX

Better brakes (not bigger)

I would like to upgrade the brakes on my '11 WRX to 4 or 6 pot squeezers, but want to keep stock (or near to stock) rotor size/type. Yes, the uber large cross-drilled and slotted Brembos look sweet, but I don't need that, don't want to pay 3K+ for them, and don't want to completely nix my stock wheels. Does anyone know of a package/maker that offers just upgraded calipers, but on stock-ish disks?
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What pads are you using now? I found that upgrading pads, fluid, SS lines, and the master cylinder brace helped tremendously with braking response and feel. They certainly stop faster over stock, as my OEM pads were almost completely shot.

Anyway, all of that will cost just a few hundred bucks, so it might be worth a shot before you spring for new calipers.

As an FYI, I have Hawk HPS pads (but I'd recommend the StopTechs, personally), ATE SuperBlue fluid (fantastic), StopTech SS lines, and Grimmspeed brace.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    currently running all stock for brakes, and thus far have not had any issues. If I keep the stock calipers I was planning on getting the Ferodo 2500 pads, but I really would like to upgrade the calipers to 4 pot ones if at all possible. And the GrimmSpeed brace is on my list too, as are some SS lines and new fluid
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    For DD situations...

Stopping distance: Tires
    Pedal feel: Pads / Lines / Fluid / Brace
    Bling: Calipers / Rotors

Upgrade as you see fit.

Calipers can help with fade, if that's an issue, but on a DD vehicle, it likely isn't.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Unless you are tracking the car, upgrading brakes will only help with feel, not stopping distance/power. The stock brakes can lock out and go to ABS, no need for more power. Hmm, so what EJ257 said.
    2012 WRX

Willwood makes a four-pot kit for the front that will fit under 17" wheels and are currently developing a kit for the rear.

Wilwood Big Brake Kit Group Buy!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    For DD situations...

Stopping distance: Tires
    Pedal feel: Pads / Lines / Fluid / Brace
    Bling: Calipers / Rotors

Upgrade as you see fit.

Calipers can help with fade, if that's an issue, but on a DD vehicle, it likely isn't.
    Yes, I know tires make the biggest difference in stopping power (been here long enough to read all those threads/arguments), and I am not too worried about pedal feel as long as the brakes work, though I do have the pads/lines/brace upgrade on my to do list. I am not really wanting the bling factor either as I would prefer blank rotors and the calipers to be silver (or graphite) with no logo, I just really dislike the look of the stock mono-pot calipers on the WRX, not to mention that the outside of the caliper (visible, right behind the wheel) shows a deposit of what appears to be light surface rust. I have had 'fade' one time in the car, but it was while slowing from 'way too fast', and I likely will not be doing that again anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jgardiner View Post
    Willwood makes a four-pot kit for the front that will fit under 17" wheels and are currently developing a kit for the rear.

Wilwood Big Brake Kit Group Buy!
    That is nice to know they have an option available, though I don't want 'big brakes' I want better calipers for the stock size rotors. I had surfed through Wilwood's site, as well as Baer's and Brembo's, neither Wilwood or Baer listed any fitment for Subaru.

Brembo had some that fit Subarus, but only the gaudy massive big kits, which is not really what I was looking for, and way too expensive.

I did see that Wilwood had replacement calipers for like '60s through '80s American cars that fit stock rotors, I wonder if any would be compatible? I guess I will have to contact them and ask, seems that they at least have a record somewhere on the full dimensions of the WRX around the wheel/hub/suspension area.

I also saw that Baer had a few kits that are said to fit under like 14' wheels, They are still kind of gaudy, but atleast they are 'normal' sized. Plus, they are better priced than Brembo, but again, no clue if they would fit the WRX wheel/hub/suspension area.

I was kind of hoping that maybe SPT, Hawk, Ferodo, Stoptech, or DBA (I would say STi, but I know those are re-branded Brembos) might have calipers that I was just not seeing in my searches, but they seem to only make pads and rotors.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX
    Yes, I know tires make the biggest difference in stopping power (been here long enough to read all those threads/arguments), and I am not too worried about pedal feel as long as the brakes work, though I do have the pads/lines/brace upgrade on my to do list. I am not really wanting the bling factor either as I would prefer blank rotors and the calipers to be silver (or graphite) with no logo, I just really dislike the look of the stock mono-pot calipers on the WRX, not to mention that the outside of the caliper (visible, right behind the wheel) shows a deposit of what appears to be light surface rust. I have had 'fade' one time in the car, but it was while slowing from 'way too fast', and I likely will not be doing that again anytime soon.
    Nothing wrong with wanting to upgrade your car aesthetically. The OE rotors are pretty bland. The 4-pots are a nice happy medium. Look through the classifieds for someone doing a part-out or who upgraded to Brembos.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    What should I be looking for? I'm not sure if there were any 4pot OE for the 2011? I know about the stock and the brembo upgrade, but that was all....
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    What should I be looking for? I'm not sure if there were any 4pot OE for the 2011? I know about the stock and the brembo upgrade, but that was all....
    The only 4-pot OE for the 2011 was on the STI and those require an 18" wheel to clear.

The Willwood kit I mentioned earlier is the best one that I have found so far. You do have to buy their rotors, but they are very close to the stock size. I am waiting to see what their rear kit looks like as I would like to do all four corners.

You can use the stock 2011 WRX rotors with any 02-07 Subaru 4-pot caliper, they will just bolt on, but there is nothing that will fit the rear yet without machining.

Perhaps the 4 pots off the 06-07 WRX fit...I'm not sure if they do, but that may be what Matt is eluding to.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I was looking into the grimmspeed master cylinder brace for pedal feel. Does it really make a difference? Right now it feels pretty spongy
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    It does help but nothing like lines, fluid and pads

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    I was looking into the grimmspeed master cylinder brace for pedal feel. Does it really make a difference? Right now it feels pretty spongy
    Want to buy mine?
    * * COMPLETE PART-OUT STARTS FRIDAY, AUG 1, 2014. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I Support ClubWRX
    don't tell me you've given up.... it should fit, just be a pain to install
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast