Better brakes (not bigger) - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Better brakes (not bigger) within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The guy I was going to use for powder coating said that he just masked the pots because the brembos ...

I Support ClubWRX
    The guy I was going to use for powder coating said that he just masked the pots because the brembos aren't supposed to be taken apart (specifically the caliper halves). The inside color of the caliper isn't visible when pads are in, so he just masks the pots.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    That works for me.....especially since I don't want to have to deal with 'a rebuild' type of thing right now
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

That's good to know. I'd hate to have to take them apart. I've split the halves before without any adverse issues on my old STI (friend who changed pads was a retard)...but nothing bad happened.

I've thought about going Lambo orange on my Brembos
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Mikie.. the problem is... the gasket that lies between the two calipers is not able to be purchased. AT ALL. You cannot get it direct from brembo, it doesn't come with the brembo rebuild kit, the subaru rebuild kit.... anything. Once put together, those two caliper halves are supposed to remain together for eternity according to brembo.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Ooops...never thought about that. I had no idea there was a gasket. Or are you talking about the little rubber o-ring between the fluid ducts? (I'm trying to find pics of a thread I read last week on IWSTI, but no luck).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    there's an o ring on each side between the two caliper halves.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    I've been trying to keep my mouth shut and let you stay your path, but have you thought about whether the front/rear bias is really where you want it? I know for my car and many years they gave the rest of the world larger rear disks, but they didn't think the US could handle it. Is there an equivalent of the H6 upgrade for '11? It is the one thing for earlier years that actually decreases stopping distance, and I like the feel much better. You can stop faster if you spread the load out regardless of the fact that the stock pads etc. will go to antilock, without necessarily spinning out.

I wonder what Big Sky did on his '09. He used to solve all of these problems for us when he had his old car. Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II)
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey DemonWRX... I neglected to say it earlier... but have you thought about doing braking upgrades without touching the calipers? DS2500 pads are incredible, there are quite a few good rotor companies out there (centric is where I'll be going next, though I loved my DBAs), and some goodrich lines with ATE Superblue will go a long way.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for letting me stay the course, but if you have any information, or questions I should be asking myself, by all means inject!

The pre-2006 USDM WRX had a 10.4" rear disk, so people upgraded to the "H6" or Legacy rear disk that was 11.4". The 06+ have an 11.3" rear disk, and the 08+ have a bigger hat to accommodate a larger handbrake. So my '11 is already at the "H6" diameter.

I think the bias is fine for now. I am not against tweeking it if it needed it, but from what I can tell, it is acceptable currently.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Thanks for letting me stay the course, but if you have any information, or questions I should be asking myself, by all means inject!

The pre-2006 USDM WRX had a 10.4" rear disk, so people upgraded to the "H6" or Legacy rear disk that was 11.4". The 06+ have an 11.3" rear disk, and the 08+ have a bigger hat to accommodate a larger handbrake. So my '11 is already at the "H6" diameter.

I think the bias is fine for now. I am not against tweeking it if it needed it, but from what I can tell, it is acceptable currently.
    Yeah, that is a good size already.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Hey DemonWRX... I neglected to say it earlier... but have you thought about doing braking upgrades without touching the calipers? DS2500 pads are incredible, there are quite a few good rotor companies out there (centric is where I'll be going next, though I loved my DBAs), and some goodrich lines with ATE Superblue will go a long way.
    Yes.... I am planning on either SuperBlue or Motul 600 fluid, and some stoptech braided lines. I already have the GrimSpeed master cylinder brace (in living room waiting install), and was planning on some Ferodo DS2500 pads at all 4 corners.

I was not planning on new rotors just yet as the current ones are serviceable for the time being....they have only been stopping me for about 8500 miles.

When I started the whole 'upgrade my brakes' train of thought last summer, I started with the brace/fluid/braids plans.....then I started looking at pads, and chose the Ferodo ones....at this point I just happened to look at my brakes while washing the car one day, and realized that I hate the look of the stock brakes.

I started looking into my options, did not like the prices of new Brembos, and I was not really looking to go 'big brake' anyway.... I found no one ease seemed to be making nice sets other than Brembo, and no one seemed to make just calipers for stock rotors...you had to get the full drilled slotted blingness, so started this thread.

Posts #10 and #11 informed me of the OE 4/2 sets from 06/07, and I started researching those..... I happened to find someone on NASIOC selling a NIB set of '07 fronts....so I have those now....I am still looking for rears, and now am hoping to source an adapter.

This upgrade I am working on is about 40% performance driven, 50% aesthetics driven, and now 10% "cause it can't be done" driven.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    it'll be tougher to find the rears because when people go with a big brake kit they almost always get the fronts by themselves.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, the compounds will be fairly different so you might need to bed them a few times. Just don't give up on it as the old crap will burn off eventually.

Since you are so accommodating, I will include that "interject" sounds a little better that "inject". I don't know how many jokes I passed up to put it this way lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    I was actually expecting jokes to start flowing......I was trying to think of "interject", but being the end of a long day, my brain was full of fail.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    resurrection !

Just an update. E-mailed back with KartBoy today, their adapter bracket is not ready for market yet

BUT, there is another option for those not wanting to wait.. KNS makes an adapter bracket to install red 2pots on 08+ Rexs. Getting these will require changing the rear rotors as well (seems you need 10+ LGT rear rotors for the 2 pots).

I am not quite ready to upgrade yet....I have steel lines and the front calipers waiting, but I still need to get rear calipers (there are a few sources I have found), front and rear pads, and some decent fluid. Not to mention I need to get all 4 calipers powder coated once I have them all...so I might be waiting for the KartBoy adapters anyway.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast