Better brakes (not bigger) - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Better brakes (not bigger) within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; If you have an aos, and a TMIC it is impossible to install without removing those parts first...

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have an aos, and a TMIC it is impossible to install without removing those parts first

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    If you have an aos, and a TMIC it is impossible to install without removing those parts first
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    don't tell me you've given up.... it should fit, just be a pain to install
    I'm definitely considering it...
    Greg
    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

It does help but nothing like lines, fluid and pads
    Ok, I just recently replaced (~3000 miles ago) the pads

The fluid: ATE Super Blue dot 4 or Motul RBF 600?

Line: Stoptech or Goodrich?

any choices I left out/should look into?
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    Ok, I just recently replaced (~3000 miles ago) the pads

The fluid: ATE Super Blue dot 4 or Motul RBF 600?

Line: Stoptech or Goodrich?

any choices I left out/should look into?
    I'm not sure the brands matter much here. For what it's worth, I have ATE Super Blue and Stoptech brake lines, but I wouldn't say those are better than the alternatives. I like the setup, no complaints. They are items that all together make a difference, but on their own, you won't notice much.

Unlike oil brands, I doubt you could tell the difference between ATE and Motul, just an improvement over stock.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rambo; 01-09-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Most SS lines are the same basic things. As long as you don't get some cheap ebay garbage, you should be ok. I used to have Goodrich SS lines and they were great.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jgardiner View Post
    The only 4-pot OE for the 2011 was on the STI and those require an 18" wheel to clear.

The Willwood kit I mentioned earlier is the best one that I have found so far. You do have to buy their rotors, but they are very close to the stock size. I am waiting to see what their rear kit looks like as I would like to do all four corners.

You can use the stock 2011 WRX rotors with any 02-07 Subaru 4-pot caliper, they will just bolt on, but there is nothing that will fit the rear yet without machining.
    ok....bit the bullet.... Just paid for a set of 2007 red 4pots NIB, and I have a GS brace on order (part of the order is on back order, so has not shipped yet).....I have a few more questions now

1) Red is ok, but I would prefer silver, gunmetal, or black....since these are NIB, I should be able to just scuff and paint before install or have them sprayed at a local shop before install. Should I look into powder coating, or is that over kill? Does anyone know if I can get new 'SUBARU' decals for the calipers if I do decide to paint/powder them?

2) They 'will just bolt on'....but do I need some special hardware or adapter plate?

3) For the rear.... I know the 02-07 rear don't fit without machining, though not sure what this means exactly...does it require making the rotors smaller or modifying the calipers? Is it a simple bolt on process to change the 2011 rear rotors to 02-07 rear rotors rather than machining? Basically, can someone give more detail as to why the rears don't fit other than 'they don't fit'?
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I had an 07 WRX. My only complaint about the car was the breaks weren't very good. From what I am told, the 08+ WRX brakes are just as good as the 4 pot 07 ones.

Not sure if it has gotten better, but finding pads for that car locally was very difficult.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I Support ClubWRX
    the 07 wrx brakes are by far better than the oem 08+ you just needed better pads, lines and fluid.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Master cylinder braces do help the feel, but you also need to do lines and good pads
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I Support ClubWRX
    The '07 had 4 pot front and 2 pot rear....the '11 has mono pot all around. While you may not have liked the '07 all that much, it is definately a step up from the mono pots I have.

And just to head off the many many possible postings, yes, I know the '11 can engage the ABS fine, and tires make more difference in stopping that number of pots in the caliper. I know. I hate the look of the '11 stockers (bare metal mono pot).

Yeah, I know the lines need done, as does the fluid.... I had the brace added to an order I placed a week ago as I am putting in a ProcessWest TMIC, and figured I may as well get the brace now too so I don't have to remove the TMIC later to install the brace. I was not planning on getting the 07 calipers yet, but I found some for sale NIB at a good price, so I figured what the hell... I will be getting lines before I do the install for sure though, and the new calipers need different pads, so I will be putting in some good ones....either Hawk or Ferodo.

Anyone know about the differences in the rears? I would like to go to 2 pot rears, but the '07 does not bolt right on...anyone have more info on that?
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    the 07 wrx brakes are by far better than the oem 08+ you just needed better pads, lines and fluid.

I wouldn't know since I never did that modification. My STI breaks like a champ, it is such an improvement over my WRX. Does the STI have different lines and fluid than the WRX? I think the pads are the same as the WRX, just bigger right?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I Support ClubWRX
    The STI comes with 4pot/2pot Brembo breaks, so no, they are no where near the same as the current WRX... they are much closer to the '07 WRX, only slightly bigger, on bigger rotors, and with more aggressive pads
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

The OEM brake pads that my car came with weren't the best. Changing the pads, coupled with the lines, fluid, and master cylinder brace made the 4/2 pots really come alive. Of course the brembo upgrade I eventually went with is even better.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

To answer your question on fitting the rears...not sure. I searched around a bit and couldn't come up with a clear answer. I know to fit them to GCs and 02-05s, you only need an adapter to make them bolt on, but that same adapter won't work for the 2011s. Not sure if there's an adapter for that year, but from what I understand, the hubs are different on the rears so its not that easy of work.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Speaking from experience, adapting calipers can be a total PITA. I had to mill custom brake adapters for putting Ducati Brembos on a Polaris wheel hub for a quad project, and the dimensioning was not fun, not to mention making a part that could be milled and didn't have to be cast...

Sent using Tapatalk
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast