The OFFICIAL 2011/12 WRX wheel/tire thread - Page 15
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

This is a discussion on The OFFICIAL 2011/12 WRX wheel/tire thread within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by boostem If you would have looked, instead of assuming they were different and that I dont know ...

Quote Originally Posted by boostem View Post
    If you would have looked, instead of assuming they were different and that I dont know what I am doing, you would see that there is no size difference. You would also see that I took into accout the wheel/tire weights, so they are within .5 lbs of one another, by going with a heavier tire in the font than the rear in order to offset the weight difference in wheel weight.

forgot to say that i bought the coopers used at 7/32nd tread depth
    Are you also going to shave or change the tires every time they get slightly used. Or do your tires magically wear evenly #becausedoptractionyo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    Are you also going to shave or change the tires every time they get slightly used. Or do your tires magically wear evenly #becausedoptractionyo
    yeah they both have the same treadwear, but that is a .04-.1 difference. If you want to start with those microscopic differences that really dont matter, then think about how off camber setups change your diameter.

Well I guess I'll stop rotating my tires then, they have the same tread rating so I'm fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    Well I guess I'll stop rotating my tires then, they have the same tread rating so I'm fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rotating your tires really has nothing to do with the diameter. That was the point of my other post. You rotate your tires because you care about how long your tires last. I could careless and have experience with offset tires, how they wear and why they wear differently. Have you ever ran offset tires? If you have, humor me... how often does the rear wear more than the front? How often do you need to change the front before the rear, or the rear before the front?

I Support ClubWRX
    the problem is you are running two different size wheels with different offsets and different size tires on a symmetrical AWD vehicle..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    the problem is you are running two different size wheels with different offsets and different size tires on a symmetrical AWD vehicle..
    They are the same offset and same size, the width is the only difference. I know it's against the grain, but I refuse to run a tire that doesn't fit the wheel. I also wanted a meaty tire, so my decision to go with a different size was researched, planned and completed, thanks to threads like these and my paint&body guy it worked. I am very happy with the results. Maybe in the future I will save up enough to make a 275/35 fit in the front and allow me to drop it as low as I want, until then this is perfect.

Looks good btw, but for a stock suspension car, would a 18x9.5 38mm offset fit with no problems? I'm not good at tire/wheel stuff, so if a 255/35/18 would be no problem, I will definitely get it. All I care is it doesn't rub, I don't have to roll anything, and the tires aren't stretched. I will get it aligned at les shuab when I get them.

Otherwise I found a Rota grid that is 18x9.5 44mm offset or Rota torque 18x9.5 40mm offset. Or there is Rota GeForce 18x9 35mm. Least headache is the best for me.

I was using that size and offset before my work wheels, but with 245's and didn't have one problem. They were rotas with 5 spokes 18*9.5 +38. A 255 tire would fit flush and not rub or require you To roll the fenders. I think that if you tried to lower it, it might rub, but only very little.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you would have looked, instead of assuming they were different and that I dont know what I am doing, you would see that there is no size difference. You would also see that I took into accout the wheel/tire weights, so they are within .5 lbs of one another, by going with a heavier tire in the font than the rear in order to offset the weight difference in wheel weight.

forgot to say that i bought the coopers used at 7/32nd tread depth
    I did look, I didn't assume. You said you had 18x9's up front and 18x10's in the back. That is not the same wheel. Either way it looks good and it's your car so you can do what you want to it. I was not attacking you.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I did look, I didn't assume. You said you had 18x9's up front and 18x10's in the back. That is not the same wheel. Either way it looks good and it's your car so you can do what you want to it. I was not attacking you.
    OK, so you think a maximum difference of . 2 in diameter will effect the dif? The wheels are the same size. The wheel width has nothing to do with the diameter, it's the tire that change sin diameter

I Support ClubWRX
    OK, so you think a maximum difference of . 2 in diameter will effect the dif? The wheels are the same size. The wheel width has nothing to do with the diameter, it's the tire that change sin diameter
    Honestly...I really don't care what you do with your car. But just to get the facts straight, the reason you can't have different width tires is because tire sidewall is measured as a ratio of sidewall to width, so a different width will never have exactly the same height. Over time, the VC fluid over-heats from the difference in rotational speed between the front and the rear, rendering it useless.

You might be fine for a while, but I would rather not have people out there reading this thread thinking it is ok to put different size wheels/tires on there subaru.

Yeah the difference between the sidewall height of my 265 and 275 is less than .2, so yes you can as .2 of a difference in diameter is nothing. That's why I posted the types of tires I purchased. The exact diameters can be found on any tire site, but tire rack has them all listed in the spec sheets. This small of a change in diameter will not effect the diff the way you describe. If that ratio was .5 or 1 then yeah it would affect the diff, over time.

KHP
    Yeah the difference between the sidewall height of my 265 and 275 is less than .2, so yes you can as .2 of a difference in diameter is nothing. That's why I posted the types of tires I purchased. The exact diameters can be found on any tire site, but tire rack has them all listed in the spec sheets. This small of a change in diameter will not effect the diff the way you describe. If that ratio was .5 or 1 then yeah it would affect the diff, over time.
    Ok just a different perspective. Instead of just assuming that .2 difference in height difference is "nothing". Lets actually do some calculations.

265/35 R18 : Circumference = 79.492 Inches.
    275/35 R18 : Circumference = 80.359 Inches.

Ok at this point difference of circumference looks very small. So lets convert it and assume that you're driving at 65MPH.

65MPH = 4,118,400 Inches per hour

4,118,400Inches per hour/79.492Inches circumference=51808.9870679 Rotations per hour of the tires (265/35 R18)
    4,118,400Inches per hour/80.359Inches circumference=51250.0155552 Rotations per hour of the tires (275/35 R18)

51,808.99RPH/60Mins=863.483Rotations per minute of the tires (265/35 R18)
    51,250.02RPH/60Mins=854.166Rotations per minute of the tires (275/35 R18)

863.483-854.166=9.317 Difference in rotations per minute.

I crunched some numbers and I came up with a difference of 9 more rotations of the front tires per-total of the rear tires for every minute that the car is traveling at 65MPH. This should be the same rotational difference at the center viscous diff. This number will obviously increase with increase in speed thus the whole picture gets worse the faster you go over 65MPH.

Also this does not take into account that the front tires have longer distance to travel whenever the car is turning (sweeping turns on the highways) which will increase the number of rotation in favor of the front tires as well.

Ok 4.5 turns difference every 30 seconds at highway speeds of 65MPH... I think this difference will certainly warm up the viscous fluid in your center diff with time. Remember the viscous fluid is reactive so the warmer the fluid gets the more it binds up thus it heats up faster until it totally locks.

If I remember correctly Subaru specifies maximum of 2/32" tread depth difference between tires before the system is considered out of balance. So in our situation [(2/32)*2=.125"]. [.125"<.2"] Your car will be considered out of balance by Subaru standards.

Though you did mention that the rears are slightly used so you maybe fine. Brand new tires of those sizes are questionable based on the numbers above.

I also do not care what you do to your car and I gotta admit that your setup looks nice. I just do not want others to believe that this is an acceptable setup without some consequences in the long run.
    Last edited by KHP; 01-01-2014 at 09:53 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    quick size question

2013 wrx
    koni yellows
    rce blacks

Can I run a 17x9 et42 rpf1 with a 255/45 tire and not worry about rolling fenders ?