2011 STI Tires

This is a discussion on 2011 STI Tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; We are going to get some snow tonight, so I took off the stock BBS/Dunlop wheels and put on my ...

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

2011 STI Tires

We are going to get some snow tonight, so I took off the stock BBS/Dunlop wheels and put on my Blizzak WS-70s (they drive terrible, but get good snow traction).

I have no prior experience with asymetric tires, so hopefully you guys are going to tell me this is OK.

The stock tires have just around 20K miles on them. All 4 tires are almost completely bald on the inside tread. They looked absolutely fine when just looking from the side of the car while still mounted, but when I took the wheels off, the inside tread was gone. The passenger side was a little worse than the driver side, but all 4 were really bad. I also noticed that the car would pull to the side when I was on un-even pavement (like coming off an off-ramp I would almost feel the car wobble) - again, I just figured that was part of having these really wide tires on.

Ever since the Subaru dealer rotated my tires (about 8K miles ago) and rebalanced, you could hear a pretty good hum/whine when driving on the highway. I figured they just had to be worn in again so I ignored - and it eventually got better.

Since all 4 are bad, I can't imagine I have an alignment problem.

Is this normal?
    Last edited by mjboudreaux77; 11-22-2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: more info
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have heard that the stock Dunlops do not last more than 20k miles.I haven't hit that milestone yet.I'd imagine the wear is normal.

On my SUV I had the same issue.Stock tires were bald by 20k.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Your lucky I haven't had a set of tires last over 18k miles on any of my STI's. Our cars have alot of negative camber from the factory I think its over -1.5 degrees of camber in the rear. I had a new set of tires put on my new wheels 265/35/18 and when they drove it out of the shop witch had a dusty concrete floor the outside 1 1/2" of tread didn't have any dust on them but the other 8 1/2" of tread was covered in dust and dirt. I had them check the camber and they said it was spot on.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    yeah - just weird this didn't happen to my Blizzak's over the 10K miles they were on.

I have all winter to look for my next set of summer tires. I would really like to find a better balance of performance/longevity. I will suffer a little performance if I can get more miles out of them.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I have over 20k on my stock Dunlops, they are evenly worn with plenty of tread left. If all 4 are worn on the inside, I'd say your camber is too negative, can't hurt to have it checked
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I think the WRX and the STI have a very different camber setting from the factory, every 08 and up STI I have seen wears the inside tread out very quickly. My friend has 09to WRX and his tread is wearing evenly.