2011 STI Tires
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2011 STI Tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; We are going to get some snow tonight, so I took off the stock BBS/Dunlop wheels and put on my ...

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

2011 STI Tires

We are going to get some snow tonight, so I took off the stock BBS/Dunlop wheels and put on my Blizzak WS-70s (they drive terrible, but get good snow traction).

I have no prior experience with asymetric tires, so hopefully you guys are going to tell me this is OK.

The stock tires have just around 20K miles on them. All 4 tires are almost completely bald on the inside tread. They looked absolutely fine when just looking from the side of the car while still mounted, but when I took the wheels off, the inside tread was gone. The passenger side was a little worse than the driver side, but all 4 were really bad. I also noticed that the car would pull to the side when I was on un-even pavement (like coming off an off-ramp I would almost feel the car wobble) - again, I just figured that was part of having these really wide tires on.

Ever since the Subaru dealer rotated my tires (about 8K miles ago) and rebalanced, you could hear a pretty good hum/whine when driving on the highway. I figured they just had to be worn in again so I ignored - and it eventually got better.

Since all 4 are bad, I can't imagine I have an alignment problem.

Is this normal?
    Last edited by mjboudreaux77; 11-22-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: more info
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have heard that the stock Dunlops do not last more than 20k miles.I haven't hit that milestone yet.I'd imagine the wear is normal.

On my SUV I had the same issue.Stock tires were bald by 20k.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Your lucky I haven't had a set of tires last over 18k miles on any of my STI's. Our cars have alot of negative camber from the factory I think its over -1.5 degrees of camber in the rear. I had a new set of tires put on my new wheels 265/35/18 and when they drove it out of the shop witch had a dusty concrete floor the outside 1 1/2" of tread didn't have any dust on them but the other 8 1/2" of tread was covered in dust and dirt. I had them check the camber and they said it was spot on.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    yeah - just weird this didn't happen to my Blizzak's over the 10K miles they were on.

I have all winter to look for my next set of summer tires. I would really like to find a better balance of performance/longevity. I will suffer a little performance if I can get more miles out of them.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I have over 20k on my stock Dunlops, they are evenly worn with plenty of tread left. If all 4 are worn on the inside, I'd say your camber is too negative, can't hurt to have it checked
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I think the WRX and the STI have a very different camber setting from the factory, every 08 and up STI I have seen wears the inside tread out very quickly. My friend has 09to WRX and his tread is wearing evenly.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.