Rim choice
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rim choice within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey i was looking at rims today. i found the ones i really like, they are rota grids. i found ...

I Support ClubWRX

Rim choice

hey i was looking at rims today. i found the ones i really like, they are rota grids. i found two sizes im debating between. the 17x9 or 18x9.5. any idea which one would be the better one to get. also any idea which tires to get, any preferred ones. maybe even ones that wont kill my wallet lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i wouldnt go with either size. stick with 8.5" for width. super wide wheels with low offsets arent really practical for daily driving and they are known to cause extra wear & tear on your car

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i wouldnt go with either size. stick with 8.5" for width. super wide wheels with low offsets arent really practical for daily driving and they are known to cause extra wear & tear on your car
    ok ill have to see if i can find one in an 8.5 width. any ideas with tires such as a sizes or which brands to go with etc.

rota grids 18x8.5 i also have them

17x9 with appropriare offset to fit 275/40/17 Dunlop Star Specs

or

18x9.5 with appropriate offset to fit 285/35/18 Dunlop Star Specs

I Support ClubWRX
    thanks guys for the help, anyone no the best place to buy the rims. the place i found didnt have any of the rota grids in black with 8.5 wide. also ran across TSW Nurburgring wheels. which look sweet on the 2011 wrx. but im still lookin around. there is a lot to pick from

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have winter wheels?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Do you have winter wheels?
    as of now i dont have winter wheels. im not looking to buy new rims now, because winters gonna be here soon. just collecting ideas

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    as of now i dont have winter wheels. im not looking to buy new rims now, because winters gonna be here soon. just collecting ideas

Well, if these are for winter, what I'd suggest is just putting a set of snow tires on your OEM wheels. Snow and salt can be very hard on a wheel's finish, buying a set of 'grids' for the winter is probably not the best idea if you still want them to look nice for the other 9 months out of the year. Furthermore, dry traction and warm weather wet traction is fairly horrible on snow tires, and summer tires cannot be used in the snow, and all-season tires are fairly horrible in all conditions. And wide wheels and tires are horrible in the snow, so sticking to something a little closer to OEM size, or event narrower than OEM, for the inclement weather ahead will have huge benefits. So since I assume you've decided that you will own two sets of wheels, I would suggest just buying snow tires and waiting until spring to get a good summer setup. Running a dedicated snow tire and a dedicated summer tire is really the best option.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Annihilator817 View Post
    Well, if these are for winter, what I'd suggest is just putting a set of snow tires on your OEM wheels. Snow and salt can be very hard on a wheel's finish, buying a set of 'grids' for the winter is probably not the best idea if you still want them to look nice for the other 9 months out of the year. Furthermore, dry traction and warm weather wet traction is fairly horrible on snow tires, and summer tires cannot be used in the snow, and all-season tires are fairly horrible in all conditions. And wide wheels and tires are horrible in the snow, so sticking to something a little closer to OEM size, or event narrower than OEM, for the inclement weather ahead will have huge benefits. So since I assume you've decided that you will own two sets of wheels, I would suggest just buying snow tires and waiting until spring to get a good summer setup. Running a dedicated snow tire and a dedicated summer tire is really the best option.
    thanks, thats what i was planning on doing, but ill keep the info in mind

wheeldude is a good place to look at rotas

I Support ClubWRX
    +1 for Wheeldude...I've had good experiences ordering through them.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

xxr 527 18x8.75 et20

I Support ClubWRX
    what size tires? those look pretty stretched
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.