Suspension mods for corner carving? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Suspension mods for corner carving? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Good advice so far. Sways/links and quality dampers. Good tires. You said in your first post you were going to ...

Good advice so far. Sways/links and quality dampers. Good tires.

You said in your first post you were going to track it, then you said autox. Which is it? They have very different requirements...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Good advice so far. Sways/links and quality dampers. Good tires.

You said in your first post you were going to track it, then you said autox. Which is it? They have very different requirements...
    This.

teflon_jones brings up a good point. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to do the right mods for the venue instead of a bunch of random mods that just make the car 'handle better'. If we're talking track days, then forget suspension for now and upgrade the brake fluid, maybe SS lines, and get some good high temp pads that you can swap in at events. Tires aren't quite as important for track days as they are for autocross.

I'm used to saying track bc of going to the drag strip a lot. As far as what type of events I want to do i would like to do actual road racing tracks something like lime rock but the problem is that I don't know if there are any events such as that in the New England area. I dont want to do mods for something I can rarely attend bc of distance. So that takes me back to auto x which from what I can tell is the cones set up in big lots correct? those types of events are more common in this area so I would have to get the supporting mods for those type of events unless anyone knows of any actual tracks in this area closer then lime rock.

I took the STI on hurricane mountain road this past summer, that's what has gotten me to want to do this type of thing more

EDIT: I did find this event at new Hampshire speedway but it also comes down to what it costs to do this type of event as far as admission. I'm used to paying $20-$35 to drag race all day or night

http://www.scda1.com/new-hampshire-motor-speedway/
    Last edited by Venom351R; 10-24-2011 at 05:09 AM.
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

I cannot emphasize enough that you don't need to modify your car for autocross. It won't make the experience any better and it won't make you any faster when you are new to this sport. And learning on a relatively stock car on relatively crappy tires is an important teaching tool because it will teach you restraint, control, and speed maintenance rather than relying on the tires and the car to bail you out when you cook the turns. You will pick up the necesary skills faster in a slow car than a fast one. Autocross is only about 15% car and setup and 85% percent driver, so just getting to some events and getting some seat time is really all you should be worrying about at this point.

I know that is a discouraging prospect, but if you take that advice, you'll thank me later.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Annihilator has brought up some VERY good points in his posts, and I don't have much to say that won't mirror what has already been said.

The best thing I can say is: you've been given some really really good advice in this thread and I would definitely advise that you use it to your advantage.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I will I appreciate the input. Being that winter is closing in on the north east now I'll prob have to put this on the back burner until the spring. I'll go ahead with the minor mods I had planned over the winter such as the intake and Cobb AP stage 1 tune. Next year I plan on getting a set I dedicated summer wheels and tires. I know it's advised not to get better tires but I want a set of nice wheels for the summer. My stock bbs wheels have seen better days

Ive done a lot of searching and reading over the past few hours and this is what I have found that best suits me

Sports Car Club of New Hampshire

Its fairly local to me, I am not that far from NH. Seems pretty cheap to attend an event and it looks like a lot of fun. Being that it is a timed event is even better b/c I want to be able to improve each time

I've never run with them, but I know several people that have, and they are a great club. I've also run quite a few times with NER/SCCA in the lot they use at NHMS. Its nice and big, and not too bumpy. You might also consider Cumberland Motor Club: Welcome They may be closer and are also a quality club. I've met several people at NER/SCCA that are from that club and they've all been really awesome people.

Hey thanks that one is closer. SCCNH has one event left this year and that is this weekend at louden raceway and I have this weekend off. I think it would be great opportunity to try an event out and see how I like it

*high five

All signed up and pre registered can't wait to see how it goes. I'll try my best to get pics/video bc I'll have someone coming with me. Gates open at 8am and I'm just about 2 hrs away, going to be a long day lol

I just posted up an Autocross FAQ that might be of help to you. It covers a lot of what you need to do to prepare yourself and your car, as well as what to expect when you are at the event.

AutoX FAQ

Thanks annihilator I'll look all that over

If you decide to track your car, you need to realize how much it'll cost you. Here's a comparison of my last two weekends. The first weekend was one day at the track, and the second was autox:
    Track: entry fee, 3 tanks of fuel, 1 set of tires, 1 set of brake pads, oil change, brake fluid change.
    TOTAL COST: $180 + $120 + $800 + $120 + $60 + $50 = $1,430

Autox: entry fee, 1/4 tank of fuel, tires fine, brakes fine, no oil change, no brake fluid change
    TOTAL COST: $40 + $15 + $0 + $0 + $0 + $0 = $55

There's a big difference in the wear on the car between the two different things and the hurt it'll put on your wallet.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Thanks Jones, I did read your cost as far as tracking VS other events with the car in another thread. Thats crazy how it can all add up like that.

Well the event got canceled due to the North East Snow Storm. Guess I'll have to wait until next spring but thanks for all the tips and pointers everyone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast