Winter wheel set up

This is a discussion on Winter wheel set up within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I hate to even bring up the thought of winter already but I see tire rack has a rebate ...

Winter wheel set up

I hate to even bring up the thought of winter already but I see tire rack has a $50 rebate on most winter tire's during September so I figure it's time to make up my mind on what to run.

At first I was just going to order some 16in steel wheels with Blizzak WS70's but seeing as I will be running a winter wheel set up for almost 5 months out of the year I wouldn't mind having a decent looking rim that is pretty strong. I've always liked the older STi wheels so I was thinking about picking up some 04 rims since that is the only year for the 5x100 bolt pattern. For tire's the Blizzak WS70 215/50/17 look to be the perfect choice with an overall diameter of 25.5 inches with the stock 2011 tire's being 25.4 inches.

Tire rack list the stock size to be 225/45/17 but has 215/50/17 listed as an alternate winter size for the 2004 STi so I'm assuming they would not be too narrow for that rim?

Also, I know the 04 STi rims are pretty hard to come by due to the bolt pattern but what would be a reasonable price for a set that's not all thrashed?
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Have you considered using your heavy stock wheels for winter and switching your summer tires to a set of new wheels that you really like? It's an investment, yes, but I felt it was well worth it. Just a thought...
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    Have you considered using your heavy stock wheels for winter and switching your summer tires to a set of new wheels that you really like? It's an investment, yes, but I felt it was well worth it. Just a thought...
    Yes, that has crossed my mind also but if I bought some after market rims I would like some Rota's and step up to an 18 inch which would cost even more and I would have to buy new summer tire's too. Winter tire's for my stock rims are about $100 more because of the width. Obviously the cheapest route would be the steel 16's with Blizzak WS70's at $786 shipped after the $50 rebate.

Forgot to mention, I found a set of 04 bbs rims for $700 local that are in excellent condition. Blizzak 215/50/17's are $620 shipped so that puts me at $1320 for a nice winter set up.

Decisions, decisions...
    Last edited by Eric05mx; 09-01-2011 at 06:17 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh, I feel ya, hence the reason my PF01s are 17s. I just couldn't bring myself to throw away my almost brand new summer tires (about $1K) to go with 18s. In my case, I knew I wasn't going to be happy running the stock wheels for all but the winter months. I'd be replacing them eventually, so...

I think you'll be happy either way.....well, unless you'll be getting those Rotas later. Then'll you'll have a set of wheels to sell. Yes, decisions, decisions... :-)
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread

I'm actually pretty content with the stock wheels. Maybe because my car is black. If I go with Rota's I can't see spending the money and not getting an 18 with at least an 8.5 width to allow for a wider tire. But now we're talking almost $2,000 for rims, rubber, and lugs. Plus another $700 for winter tire's on the stock rims. Makes the 04 BBS combo look much more reasonable.

I Support ClubWRX
    I also stuck with the stock wheel width to avoid that - getting a new set of summer/performance tires just to add a 1/2 inch of width. Total price for me was less than $1800 in total - 17x8 PF01s and winter rubber for my stockers.

Greg

Build Thread