2011 WRX Winter Wheels - Drag DR-34
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Winter Wheels - Drag DR-34 within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When I bought the car in January, I didn't have the extra cash for winter wheels so I just went ...

Exclamation 2011 WRX Winter Wheels - Drag DR-34

When I bought the car in January, I didn't have the extra cash for winter wheels so I just went with tires. I've been looking at these Drag DR-34s in gold:

Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct

I checked the tire size of my snows and come to find out they're just like the summers: 235/45/17. I've checked some sites to match rim width to tire sizes and found that for a 235/45/17 tire the range you'll want to stay within is 7.5-9 inches. These drag wheels are at the minimum being 17x7.5. I should be ok right? Oh and here's the only picture I could find of the DR-34s in gold on a Subie.

When these snows wear out I'll be sure to get a skinnier tire, something like 215 or 225. I just want a skinnier wheel to start with so I can downsize in the future. Thanks in advance for the opinions guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You can do a 205/50/17

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh.. Wheel... You know my GFs 08 has a set of drags on it.. They are 17"x7.5" and I put the stock tires on them..

Thanks for the response. I just read somewhere that wide tire + narrow wheel = bad in hard cornering situations. I've never had a separate set of wheels before and since I fumbled on the snow tires last year, I want to do the wheels right!

I Support ClubWRX
    Yea you are right, but you aren't going to be "stretching" 205s on a 7.5 wheel.. The other question is are you going to drive hard and race around corners with snow tires on??? Doesn't make much sense.. Anyway.. I have falken ziex on my 2008 they are 205s which is the stock width for 08 and the tires are perfect for the wheels

You can't drive hard when there's snow and ice on the ground, so don't worry about that. When the roads are slippery there is a much higher risk of damaging the wheels, so just go with whatever wheels are cheap, easy to replace and fit the car.

Sounds like a plan, will let you guys know how it works out. Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you happen to know the offset for those Drag wheels? Thanks.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good question. Here on the Drag site it lists 42mm/45mm for the 17".

Drag Wheels. Extreme Alloys. | DR-34 (GLOSS BLACK, GUN METAL, SILVER, CHROME)

I Support ClubWRX
    Mine are +45

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow not bad at all then. These look like very interesting wheels for someone with similar needs. Has the finish held up in Oregon?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ended up picking them up and they are indeed 45mm. Will let you know how this nasty New England Winter treats them.

KHP
    I have Hankook W300's 205/50 R17's mounted on Drag DR-33's 7.5" 45mm offset. They're not stretched at all. It's the widest wheel the tire will fit on. Looking at mine it looks like I still have a little buffer between wheel and curb. The rubber will impact before the wheel does.

Narrow winter tires rock btw!
    Last edited by KHP; 10-10-2011 at 05:57 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    The other question is are you going to drive hard and race around corners with snow tires on??? Doesn't make much sense..
    Quote Originally Posted by jgardiner View Post
    You can't drive hard when there's snow and ice on the ground, so don't worry about that. When the roads are slippery there is a much higher risk of damaging the wheels, so just go with whatever wheels are cheap, easy to replace and fit the car.
    The roads are most often dry in the winter and snow tires provide much better grip than summer tires because their tread compound is designed for cold temps and grips much better...

High quality snow tires >>>>>>> in the winter on dry roads than summer tires are.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    winter tires rock btw!
    That's what I'm saying!

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    The roads are most often dry in the winter and snow tires provide much better grip than summer tires because their tread compound is designed for cold temps and grips much better...

High quality snow tires >>>>>>> in the winter on dry roads than summer tires are.
    And that was my primary concern. The more I research the more I think I'll be ok. No Gymkhana for me on dry pavement with grippy winter shoes!

via Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast