Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just ordered a set of 205/55-R16 91W Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position tires from Costco. They have a 0 ...

Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position

I just ordered a set of 205/55-R16 91W Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position tires from Costco. They have a $100 off coupon on Bridgestone tires through August 7th, I believe.

They will be mounted on the stock wheels on the '02 wagon which is driven mainly highway/city as my commuter car. I live in the Seattle area so they will see dry/wet/icy/snowy conditions. These being the replacement for the RE960 AS Pole Positions, does anyone have experience with them? TireRack.com only has one review posted for them. What differences are there between the old (960) and new (970) models?

Thanks!
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well I've put a little over 400 miles on the new RE970AS Pole Positions.

First impressions:
    - Much quieter than my old tires (Cheap Toyos that came on the car) and quieter than the Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grids I had mounted on the car for 5 days.
    - They track very nice and go right where you point the wheel.
    - Sidewalls are much stiffer and provide good road feel but aren't too harsh for daily communting.
    - Turns that I used to take at 65 mph with squeeling tires are now taken at 70 mph with no drama at all.

Short backstory on why I had the Grids on for only 5 days...

I picked up a chunk of flat metal on the way home from work last week that gave me an unrepairable flat. With only about 20% tread left, I went to the local Costco planning to use the $100 off Bridgestone coupon for a new set of 4 tires. The Toyos I had were actually a "U" rating, 2 steps down from the manufacturer's "V" spec for the car. Costco didn't have any "V" rated tires that would fit my car and I needed a set so I had them put the Grids on. I really had no choice because that was all they had in stock and I couldn't wait for a special order set to come in and drive my 70-mile commute on the spare for 3-5 days.

After purchasing the Grids I looked up reviews and found numerous disappointing reviews: They don't last very long; They have horrible noise problems; Many people would take them back for a different set and take the loss just because they had grown unbearably loud; They start losing chunks off the outside tread around 10,000 miles.

Bridgestone has a 30-day "Buy and Try" warranty that allows the original purchaser to return the tires to the original place of purchase for either a FULL REFUND or credit toward another set. Even though the managers at Costco didn't know the return policy and they gave me crap about the return by implying I was scamming them, being a loyal customer and former employee, I took the refund and put it toward the Pole Positions from the same Costco store.

Anyone interested in purchasing the RE970 AS Pole Positions will not be disappointed, they are an excellent tire. I haven't seen any rain with them on yet (strange for any time of year in Seattle) but will write a follow up review after I do.

Hope this helps anyone looking at tires for their WRX/STi.

-Pete
    Last edited by 2002SubieWRX; 01-06-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4

$100 off bridgestones at Costco....hmm maybe I will pick up a set of RE-11s and keep them in the garage for a month or 2 until I need them. Got another 5K or so left on my Direzzas.

But, I bet even with the $100 off the Direzzas are still cheaper.

Opps, just noticed your coupon date. Costco now has them $70 off for a set of 4 from 8/8/11 -9/11/11.
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 08-11-2011 at 04:36 PM.

I'm not positive, but I think the sale only went through August 7th. They usually alternate sales between Bridgestone and BF Goodrich. You might try to find out what will be on sale next though.

ya I edited my post above...now it is $70 off.

Just wanted to say thanks for the review, I will be picking up a set of 215/45 R17s here in the next day or so. Looking forward to them!
    To be upset over what you don't have is to waste what you do have.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnark View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks for the review, I will be picking up a set of 215/45 R17s here in the next day or so. Looking forward to them!
    Glad to hear it helped someone. I am still as happy as can be with mine. The wet traction is superb and confidence building. I haven't seen any snow with them yet but I expect they'll be 100% better than my the set of Toyos that came on it. Congrats on the new tires when you get them.

Pole position - snow traction?

Quote Originally Posted by 2002SubieWRX View Post
    Glad to hear it helped someone. I am still as happy as can be with mine. The wet traction is superb and confidence building. I haven't seen any snow with them yet but I expect they'll be 100% better than my the set of Toyos that came on it. Congrats on the new tires when you get them.
    Have you (or anyone else) had any experience with the Pole Positions in snow? I live at 8,000 ft. but do have another car that I can use when the snow gets really deep, but there are some days when we have packed snow on the roads. I hardly put any miles on the car, really used within a small town for the most part (7-8,000 miles/year).

There's a rebate available until the end of the week so I can get a set for $410.

Cheers

We did get some decent snow last winter That stuck around a while. Over a foot actually, which is very rare in the Seattle area. while the Pole Positions did very well. If you have another car for deeper snow, I would say they will be fine for driving on packed snow. They are no snow tires, but they offer great all season performance.

I cannot speak for these tires... but I can speak for the Conti DWS, IMO there is not a better A/S tire out there. They perform wonderfully in the snow, rain and have a good amount of bite even in the dry for being a 540 rated tire... plus a 50k warranty.

I've had them on my Evo X, my old MS3 with 8 inches of snow and no problems... my Wife's 09 MS3, they are just phenomenal tires. The new ones you bought may be better in the dry... but I have no experience with them as I said, so maybe they are very good in all conditions as well.

I was torn between the Conti DWS and the Potenza 970 but ultimately made the decision based on the Tirerack test where the 970 beat out hte DWS. A 540 treadwear rating and 50k warranty is better than the 970 though.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.