GC8 sti suspension swap, do able?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on GC8 sti suspension swap, do able? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so I was going to take the suspension off my 2001 2.5rs and replace it with full 04-05 sti ...

Question GC8 sti suspension swap, do able?

Ok so I was going to take the suspension off my 2001 2.5rs and replace it with full 04-05 sti suspension. other than making sure I have the sti tophats are there ANY other parts I need to know about that wont bolt up? or that i need for the struts and springs to fit? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

'05 rears will not fit. '04 front/rear will fit.

However, the '04 bits are getting long in the tooth and are hardly an upgrade at this point. The struts are probably klunking (they are known to do that) and without a rebuild (i.e. Feal Suspension) they are not worth it. The springs and tophats would be old as well and be pretty worn.

Maybe 4-5 years ago this would have been a great idea. Now if you can get a good deal on the struts alone, send them to Odi of Feal for a rebuild, and new springs and group N tophats that would be really good.

What if the 04 suspension has very low miles? I was td it had barely 20k on the strut and spring

Quote Originally Posted by wrblue316 View Post
    What if the 04 suspension has very low miles? I was td it had barely 20k on the strut and spring
    Low mileage would be ok. But, I would still disassemble the struts and repack some grease in them b/c that will help prevent them from clunking b/c even w/low miles their grease could use refreshing. I know NASIOC has some threads on the topic.

However, I find it hard to believe 04' STi struts have low miles on them as they would have been sold long ago. I would want to inspect them before purchase, as someone can claim anything on the internet. Always nice when you can look someone in the eye and then later punch them in the face if they lie to you (j/k, ok not really LOL). If it is some dude on Ebay or Craig's list I would not trust him, on the forums (here, NASIOC) consider it.

Also, verify that they are '04 bits b/c as I said the '05 rear struts will not fit.

Problem id, I have hks coilovers that dont have adjustable dampers theyre WAY to stiff for street. So in swapping to sti struts to tone down the stiffness from what I have now.

Id like to just sell my coilocers and get all new but im tired of waiting lol

Problem id, I have hks coilovers that dont have adjustable dampers theyre WAY to stiff for street. So in swapping to sti struts to tone down the stiffness from what I have now.

Well if it is just a daily driver. Maybe some KYB GR2s and springs.

What is your budget and what do you use the car for?

well right now I use it for daily driving, I mean I'm working on performance mods and whatnot but even so, this suspension feels like its literally TRACK only suspension, the bump on the road are like fingernails on a chalkboard lol. its strange to be honest that hks would make a coilover setup that ISNT adjustable for damper so there is at least SOME travel. its horrible to be honest lol. and I guess it depends, I mean I'm sure I'd be better off swapping someone as far as budget goes, but what would it cost to replace the entire thing, 1500?

For $1500 you could get some new struts, springs and top hats and still have money left over.

Coilovers tend to be very harsh for a DDer. Particularly cheaper ones and Asian market coilovers. You really should conisder going new with some struts.

GR2s $300-350
    Springs $200-$300 (Swift Sports, Epic Engineering, Mach V Blues, Sti Pinks)
    Group N Tops $200-$250
    WL RCA Kit $150-$175

I highly recommend you contact TIC and talk to Tony or Clint as they sell this stuff, are experts, and will help you to figure out exactly what you need regardless of whether they sell the product or not.

- Turn in Concepts

For a bit more money this is an excellent package and comes fully assembled:

http://turninconcepts.com/product_in...oducts_id=1098

Don't do this. The STi struts are nice if you run hard enough springs to get them to move, but they will all clunk sooner or later. That clunking is nasty... sounds like a wheel is loose. There are much better fixed-perch options out there. I used to run the KYB AGX on my old GF wagon with STi v.5 springs.... a decent combo that's impossible to beat at the price. Another good option is the Koni insert set, though you will need some stock struts to gut. Tokico D-Spec is another good choice for a bolt-on solution that works well with a wide range of springs.
    Happiness isn't just around the corner, it is the corner.

what IS the clunking anyway? bushing issues?

I just wanna know if I should rebuilt my hks system so it IS adjustable on the damper or swapping, this is only temporary because I dont have 2000 dollars to replace for full suspension. so should I just sell the coilovers outright and buy new? or just deal with the insanely stiff ride and NOT swap

Quote Originally Posted by wrblue316 View Post
    what IS the clunking anyway? bushing issues?
    I don't think anyone has ever tracked it down. Part of the symptoms is that the noise itself will go away if you jack that corner off the ground and unload it, so it's hard to diagnose it. Lots of theories, no solution.
    I bought two sets of v.5 struts, both with different part numbers. Showa were revising the units constantly so there are many versions out there. First set I had clunking in the rear driver's side that started after I hit a small pothole. It would not go away no matter how I tightened the tops or bottoms but every time I touched it the noise would stop for 100km or so. The second set I dragged home from Japan... they were fine for about 6 months and then the front passenger started clunking. It only happened at parking garage speeds but it freaked the wife out enough she wouldn't ride in the car for fear a wheel was falling off. Nothing I could would fix that either.

The inverted Showas also exhibit seal stiction from the very large diameter seals they use. Pair them with mild springs and you get ricer bounce... the car will just follow slow undulations in the road because the dampers won't move. I fitted some pretty stiff Vogtland springs which cured this but were insufferable below about 80kph... in 3 months I think I lost a cm in height due to my discs being compressed.

For all the oldskool STi bling appeal it was a ****ty experience from start to finish and in the end I was very glad to see that junk out of my garage.
    Happiness isn't just around the corner, it is the corner.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.