2011 WRX Wagon & Koni's
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Wagon & Koni's within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm considering getting the Koni Sport adjustable shocks but i have heard that it is not possible to get at ...

2011 WRX Wagon & Koni's

I'm considering getting the Koni Sport adjustable shocks but i have heard that it is not possible to get at the adjuster knob once installed on the rear, is this true and is there a work-around?
    They are on sale right now for just over 500.00 for all 4, is this a good deal?
    Would like to hear some reviews about them too?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have an 09, but would think that the 11's are the same?

To get to the strut tops in the rear, I have to lift the trunk floor (like you were accessing the spare) and then remove one small plastic panel on each side to get to each top. Very simple, I've done it about 4 times this past weekend as I've been testing different settings.

Quote Originally Posted by rollnsf View Post
    I have an 09, but would think that the 11's are the same?

To get to the strut tops in the rear, I have to lift the trunk floor (like you were accessing the spare) and then remove one small plastic panel on each side to get to each top. Very simple, I've done it about 4 times this past weekend as I've been testing different settings.
    Hi
    Thanks for the heads up on that, it's what I figured but wasn't sure and have been to busy to get into it right now.
    Did you buy the Koni's and if so with or with out new springs?
    How are they, not to harsh?

I have Epic Springs, as well as the Epic Rear Sway and the SPT lower chassis brace.

I love the Koni's. I had installed the springs before the shocks, so my main point of reference is the Epic with stock struts vs Epic with Konis. The adjustability is great - this weekend I tried different settings and I've settled on a half-turn from soft (I tried one full turn, one half turn, one quarter turn, and full soft). The fact that I could set them softer but don't should tell you that they're not too harsh at all. They are firmer but in a good way, the car feels much more under control than before. I actually find them more comfortable at freeway speeds than the stock setup. I guess a good analogy would be an american car suspension vs a german car suspension - american car suspensions are much softer but not necessarily more comfortable.

Then again, this was my experience, based on my preferences What's your goal in installing the Konis? Are you also getting new springs?

All in all, I love the way the car is setup right now.

I have used Koni's before on a couple of cars and for sure I loved them too.
    I'm pretty happy with my ride height now on my Rex so I'm thinking of just doing the shocks, as like you I find the ride to soft on the highway, however in the city and on the dirt I find the stock set up pretty damn good. I like the tight feel that Koni's produce though on the rebound, how about you?
    Do you think that you would have been satisfied just doing the shocks and not the springs if you were to do it over?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rollnsf View Post
    I have Epic Springs, as well as the Epic Rear Sway and the SPT lower chassis brace.

I love the Koni's. I had installed the springs before the shocks, so my main point of reference is the Epic with stock struts vs Epic with Konis. The adjustability is great - this weekend I tried different settings and I've settled on a half-turn from soft (I tried one full turn, one half turn, one quarter turn, and full soft). The fact that I could set them softer but don't should tell you that they're not too harsh at all. They are firmer but in a good way, the car feels much more under control than before. I actually find them more comfortable at freeway speeds than the stock setup. I guess a good analogy would be an american car suspension vs a german car suspension - american car suspensions are much softer but not necessarily more comfortable.

Then again, this was my experience, based on my preferences What's your goal in installing the Konis? Are you also getting new springs?

All in all, I love the way the car is setup right now.

I actually had accepted the stock ride, I bought the car not planning to mod it (believe it or not). But then I got started...I really lowered the car for aesthetics more than performance. Of course, I liked the handling improvement, but just thought the stock shocks didn't work well with the Epics in terms of total handling. Smooth surfaces were fine, but surface transitions were not. Definitely livable and not bad, but in the end I wanted a more confident driving car. I do love the total suspension now. I have an R500 that I've driven twice in the last 3 weeks cuz I love driving the WRX so much.

So I can't really answer that question - since my goal was aesthetics in the beginning, the springs were more important to me for the aesthetics than the gain from the konis, so I never would've bought the konis on their own.

Fair enough on your reasons.
    I too have lowered a car just for the looks, and yes the corning does improve somewhat, but I find the negatives(speed bumps,parking lot curbs, and driveabilty in the snow) makes me think twice before lowering. Not to mention IM probably quite a bit older than you too and looks really are not that important to me, however handling is.
    Thanks for you input, and I'm probably going to wait a year or two before even buying Koni's, as where the stock shocks bother me is on interstate whoopdidoo's, and I don't really do that much freeway drivng anyways.
    Cheers,
    look twice and stay safe

LOL...

Interesting comment about the age, I was thinking the same thing about probably being much older than everyone on this entire board...FYI, I take no offense at all, and mean none either.

Out of curiosity, how old are you? I'm 39.

Hi
    Oh **** man I'm a young 53 year old, going on 16.
    I bought my REX in Austin Texas and drove it home here to Vancouver(2500 miles) and did not see one other WRX/ or STI the entire trip until I got into the Seattle area. In Vancouver you will see one every 15 minutes and 9 times out of 10 the driver will be an asian male under 30. I don't care one way or another as it is the car that suits my life style, and if and when I do decide to sell it there will be a lineup of buyers. Generally I keep my new cars 5 years, and speaking of that I sold my 2006 Civic EX last night (12K) Great car the Civic but things were starting to go wrong(AC, rubber,dings and curb rash)
    Cheers,

They will fit your car just fine. I am running the LGT Konis with GRF springs on my '08. These springs are basically the same rate as the '09 WRX but lower the car 10~15mm. Couldn't be more pleased with this setup.... even the damping is stiffer, somehow the car is more comfortable. Snap them up while they are this cheap, you won't be disappointed.
    Happiness isn't just around the corner, it is the corner.

Thanks for the reply, and yes I have put an order in for a set of the Sport, adjusable Koni's (600.00) which I agree is not a bad price for these.
    I'm not going to change my springs as I dont want to change my ride height at all, but I was a little concerned that the stock springs might have been part of the issue I have with the floatiness on the rebound, especially on the highway. After talking to a few Subie enthusiasts in my area most think that the stock springs are pretty decent, but agree the shocks are lacking the performance that the rest of the car has. Hope to have them in a week or two, and I will then review them.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by fahr_side View Post
    They will fit your car just fine. I am running the LGT Konis with GRF springs on my '08. These springs are basically the same rate as the '09 WRX but lower the car 10~15mm. Couldn't be more pleased with this setup.... even the damping is stiffer, somehow the car is more comfortable. Snap them up while they are this cheap, you won't be disappointed.

The '09 springs are fine for the car's intended use. The '08s were so soft it was a joke... I thought they'd put 2.0R springs on by mistake.
    I'm sure you'll be very happy with this setup, and it just gets better with some stiffer sways. There is a long thread on the Konis in this forum, with several reviews.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jege41 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, and yes I have put an order in for a set of the Sport, adjusable Koni's (600.00) which I agree is not a bad price for these.
    I'm not going to change my springs as I dont want to change my ride height at all, but I was a little concerned that the stock springs might have been part of the issue I have with the floatiness on the rebound, especially on the highway. After talking to a few Subie enthusiasts in my area most think that the stock springs are pretty decent, but agree the shocks are lacking the performance that the rest of the car has. Hope to have them in a week or two, and I will then review them.
    Cheers
    Just ordered mine as well. i am currently running the Epic lowering springs and feel a little too "vulnerable," if that makes sense. I found them a little cheaper than $600 for all 4 here -
    KON-8610-1453SPORT
    KON-8010-1055SPORT
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

If you're running lowering springs you might want to consider a shorter, stiffer bumpstop for the rear.

I'm not going to lower the ride, but thx.

Quote Originally Posted by fahr_side View Post
    If you're running lowering springs you might want to consider a shorter, stiffer bumpstop for the rear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast