Another suspension thread
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Another suspension thread within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright, sorry for yet another thread, but I just want to be sure on my purchases. After some reading, I've ...

Another suspension thread

Alright, sorry for yet another thread, but I just want to be sure on my purchases.

After some reading, I've decided to go with KYB GR-2 struts and Eibach Pro (wagon) springs for my wagon. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything I may need for the install such as spacers or anything like that.

Also, can anyone give me a labor estimate (minus alignment) on installation? See, I don't have a spring compressor, so I'm trying to figure out whether it'd be worth it to buy tophats also and make it an easier DIY.

Thanks!
    -Holden
    Bugeye wagon - ERZ Uppipe - TurboXS Axleback - Swift Springs - JNA Lip

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i just recently installed my own suspension. its not hard at all. there are three 12mm bolts at the top of the struts, and teo 19mm bolts that connect the strut to the lower A arm. you will have to temporality remove the brake line so you can replace the old strut with the new one. labor at a shop to do this all depends on the shop. some shops charge by the hour, some charge a flat rate for certain jobs. but there is no set price for installing new struts n springs. im pretty sure it wont be cheap and may take about 2 or 3 hours to complete. now, as far as the spring compressor goes..the type is used was very simple to used. you take both compressors and tighten them on the spring to compress it, undo the top bolt (which is 17mm) and remove the top hat and then u can remove the spring.

there are DIY write ups online to show you how to do it. if you want a shop to do it, expect to maybe pay a couple hundred bucks.

Well, I can tell you what IM doing. When they need replacing, I will be going this route: KYB GR-2 Struts, STi "Pink" Springs and STi "Group N" Tophats. Can get them all for < / = $1000. I will be doing all labor myself as shops these days seem to charge outrageous prices. Prolly be best if you install them yourself and then pay a reputable shop to do an alignment (something i cant do myself, alignments usually not expensive).
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Uh Oh View Post
    Alright, sorry for yet another thread, but I just want to be sure on my purchases.

After some reading, I've decided to go with KYB GR-2 struts and Eibach Pro (wagon) springs for my wagon. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything I may need for the install such as spacers or anything like that.

Also, can anyone give me a labor estimate (minus alignment) on installation? See, I don't have a spring compressor, so I'm trying to figure out whether it'd be worth it to buy tophats also and make it an easier DIY.

Thanks!
    I do not believe Eibach makes wagon springs. They make sedan springs (but people still use them on a wagon). A much better choice would be to get Swift Sport Springs as they make a wagon version and also get the correct KYB GR2s (wagon version). IMHO the Swifts are a better spring and more of an upgrade over the wishy washy Eibach Prokit.

As for the installation around $150-$200 depending on how many "breaks" they take.

Edit:

I just checked Eibach's website and they have Part # 7714.140 listed for both the wagon and sedan. So they are the same springs. Wagan struts and springs are a little taller in the rear, so if you use sedan springs on a wagon strut you will have the "saggy butt" look. Get the Swifts, they are a better.
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 05-02-2011 at 02:48 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieRX
    Well, I can tell you what IM doing. When they need replacing, I will be going this route: KYB GR-2 Struts, STi "Pink" Springs and STi "Group N" Tophats. Can get them all for < / = $1000.
    Consider the Whiteline Com-C mounts in the front, and camber bolts for the rear. It will add $100 or less to your total bill, but be much nicer come alignment time.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

AutoZone will "rent" you a spring compressor for free.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Book labor is ~6-7 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Book labor is ~6-7 hrs.
    Thanks fatal, that's more or less what I was asking. I've worked in a shop before and the DIY is not a problem. I know the price will vary by shop but the labor hours is what I needed to know. If I bought top hats, I would skip the need for a spring compressor (It's only needed for taking the tophat off, not putting a new one on), but renting one from autozone is a possibility I had not thought of.

EJ257: The only thing I'm worried about with adjustable tops is the makeshift alignment I'll have to do to get it to a shop for the actual alignment. I suppose I can find a DIY for that online, yeah?

@c2bcoolwrx: Eibach does make a wagon spring. I'm limited to what Summit Racing and Vivid Racing can offer me, as I need to go the BillMeLater route. Low credit limit/No time to save. What exactly is the difference between wagon specific and sedan springs? Just lowering rate? I'm confused because they're both MacPherson front and back so I don't see why it's not universal.
    -Holden

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Ya, fronts are like 3.6 hrs and the rears are 3.2 off the top of my head.

c2bcoolwrx: Eibach does make a wagon spring. I'm limited to what Summit Racing and Vivid Racing can offer me, as I need to go the BillMeLater route. Low credit limit/No time to save. What exactly is the difference between wagon specific and sedan springs? Just lowering rate? I'm confused because they're both MacPherson front and back so I don't see why it's not universal.
    Not according the Eibach's website (as I stated same part number). They are the same part, but actually designed for the sedan and works for wagons. I explained the difference in my earlier post....

"Wagan struts and springs are a little taller in the rear, so if you use sedan springs on a wagon strut you will have the "saggy butt" look." Thus, if you use the Eibach Prokit on wagon your rear will sagg due to the springs being shorter (wagon specific springs are taller in the rear). You could get a saggy butt spacer to compentstate, both TIC and Parinoid Fabrications sells the spacers.

Honeslty, buying parts on credit is a bad idea. Save up and do it right. The Eibach Prokit is just not that good and barely an upgrade over stock. It only lowers the car and adds almost no handling performance.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Ya, fronts are like 3.6 hrs and the rears are 3.2 off the top of my head.
    Holy crap 7 hours to do struts and springs at $85/hour that is $595, complete rip off. My tuner/engine builder/subi shop charges a flat fee of $200 for that. 7 hours seems a way too much time. I have installed struts and springs with a buddy and it took us closer to 5 hours with a lot of beer, BS, and breaks. The hardest part was removing the rear seat, but once you figure that out its just about untightening bolts (which is easy as long as you have the right tools).
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 05-03-2011 at 03:47 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Uh Oh
    EJ257: The only thing I'm worried about with adjustable tops is the makeshift alignment I'll have to do to get it to a shop for the actual alignment. I suppose I can find a DIY for that online, yeah?
    "Do your own alignment": Supersticky - NASIOC
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by c2bcoolwrx View Post
    Not according the Eibach's website (as I stated same part number). They are the same part, but actually designed for the sedan and works for wagons. I explained the difference in my earlier post....

"Wagan struts and springs are a little taller in the rear, so if you use sedan springs on a wagon strut you will have the "saggy butt" look." Thus, if you use the Eibach Prokit on wagon your rear will sagg due to the springs being shorter (wagon specific springs are taller in the rear). You could get a saggy butt spacer to compentstate, both TIC and Parinoid Fabrications sells the spacers.

Honeslty, buying parts on credit is a bad idea. Save up and do it right. The Eibach Prokit is just not that good and barely an upgrade over stock. It only lowers the car and adds almost no handling performance.
    Well whether or not it's a bad idea would be a matter of opinion. I've financed loads of things and have always paid on time and never had a problem. As long as you manage your income properly and know what you can afford, you won't have a problem. I'm sure all the people on this forum financing their 2011s do not think buying things on credit is a poor decision.

However, it looks like my parents are actually gonna help me out on this one. I told them yesterday I won't be visiting as soon as I had hoped because I need to change my suspension, and my mom thinks it's a life or death situation to get it "fixed"

I told them I'm gonna need about a grand. So if I chip in a little, I can go with the D-Specs I originally wanted, Swift Spec-R springs, Whiteline Com-C mounts, and camber bolts. Or stick with the GR2s, and put some money toward sway bars. Now another question: What size saggy butt shims?
    -Holden

Now another question: What size saggy butt shims?
    They are spacers that you put on top of the strut to add a bit of height when using sedan springs on a wagon, so they rear does not sagg (or sit too low). These:

Saggy Butt Spacers | Shop | Paranoid Fabrications

What size, not what are they lol

Thanks, though
    -Holden

What size, not what are they lol

Thanks, though
    LOL. I totally misread that. Either the 1/4 or 1/2 inch. I cannot remember how much shorter rear sedan springs are verses the wagon, but people w/wagons commonly use either size.

I must stress again the Eibachs are kinda blah handling wise and a wagon specific spring like the Swifts would be a better choice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.