kartboy endlink question - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on kartboy endlink question within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just today put on the perrin 25mm bar I bought.. Now, I have the whiteline end links and previously ...

I just today put on the perrin 25mm bar I bought.. Now, I have the whiteline end links and previously had the whiteline fsb.. Check out in the pics the difference in over all width of the perrin bar vs the whiteline and the difference in shimming I had to use from the earlier pics I posted..

I was shocked to see the difference in over all width, but the perrin 25mm bar seems to fit a great deal better than the whiteline part did. Its also heavier.. but thats to be expected when adding what.. 20% more material or so. I also noticed that the annoying clunk that I had with the whiteline bar is gone.. and everything was tight (really tight.. nothing wanted to come apart at first lol).

You can also see how badly the Whiteline end links are weathering. .. I'm thinkin next time I have some disposable $$ I may snag up a set of Kartboy links. They seem to fare much better on a daily driver.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i like that it's wider. that seems like it makes things a lot easier.

i have been debating between the whiteline 24mm and the perrin 25mm f/r sways. seeing the difference between the widths and your clunk. i am going to get the perrin ones when i get the cash. that will be awhile.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

^ FWIW my 22mm WL's on my '06 have been great. I'll freely admit that peanut butter would be longer lasting and more effective than the WL grease.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

yeah I had some powerflex grease left over from another car and used that. The wl grease pretty much washed off after the first trip in the rain and started squeaking so I used the pf stuff.. its purple and good.. and thats all I have to say about that lol

Only thing I dont like about the 25mm perrin bar is that it has no way to limit it wandering left/right in its bushings. After the test drive I took another look and the bar has migrated over to the driver side quite a bit. I may have to adjust the shimming on the end links but otherwise the links are still at fairly decent angles and its still quiet..no part on part contact .. So I'll put some more mileage on it tomorrow and see where the bar has decided to "home" itself or if I need to device some sort of clamp or collar to keep it in place. That was one feature on the wl bars that I do really like.. and it works well.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    yeah I had some powerflex grease left over from another car and used that. The wl grease pretty much washed off after the first trip in the rain and started squeaking so I used the pf stuff.. its purple and good.. and thats all I have to say about that lol

Only thing I dont like about the 25mm perrin bar is that it has no way to limit it wandering left/right in its bushings. After the test drive I took another look and the bar has migrated over to the driver side quite a bit. I may have to adjust the shimming on the end links but otherwise the links are still at fairly decent angles and its still quiet..no part on part contact .. So I'll put some more mileage on it tomorrow and see where the bar has decided to "home" itself or if I need to device some sort of clamp or collar to keep it in place. That was one feature on the wl bars that I do really like.. and it works well.
    well thats kinda misleading then. on there site they say the front one has centering rings built in. atleast for my yr anyways.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR

doesn't say anything about that for the 08+ .. or not that I saw at least. The bar in the pics has em, but its likely the 22mm bar.

dunno I drove it all around last night and the car handles phenomenal for having all seasons on it.. I'm quite pleased with the install and the end links dont seem to be any issue.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

doesn't say anything about that for the 08+ .. or not that I saw at least. The bar in the pics has em, but its likely the 22mm bar.

dunno I drove it all around last night and the car handles phenomenal for having all seasons on it.. I'm quite pleased with the install and the end links dont seem to be any issue.

did you change your rear or leave it with the 20mm? i dont know why but sometimes i always think everyone has the same yr as i do. should have checked the yr of your car before i said that sorry about that. lol
    Last edited by irvin787878; 03-05-2011 at 11:39 AM.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR

still 20mm..

and on factory end links too. I'm curious how much a difference I might notice by changing them? .. right now they're bolted into the middle setting on the bar and I'm happy with it so I'm on the fence about spending for those atm. Its a daily driven street car so I see no need to go nuts. The front end links though, mucho important.. they DO make a big difference.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by irvin787878 View Post
    did you change your rear or leave it with the 20mm? i dont know why but sometimes i always think everyone has the same yr as i do. should have checked the yr of your car before i said that sorry about that. lol
    I went with 22mm sways front and rear, with end links on both ends. The plastic rear endlinks that came on my '06 still make me

At least the OEM fronts were metal.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

the oem links in the rear for the 08+ cars are steel.. but they're pretty flexible. For a street car I dont see any issue with them while running a fairly reasonable 20mm bar. Anything bigger though and you'll want to upgrade the rear links. But like said earlier in front the upgrade goes without question.. must do the links if you want the front bar to respond like it should.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    In my humble opinion, I think the unequal spacing could be contributing to the wandering of the sway towards one side. If it were me, I'd keep the spacers consistent and let the bar "settle in" before shimming it, if at all. Again, just my opnion, but the bottom bushing on the passenger side seems to be stressed. As long as the bar isn't crooked in any way, it should be fine, right?
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Look at the pics, the "shims" are about as equal as it gets. I centered the bar before I did the end links.

I'll check again when I go to re-torque in a few days after I have some more mileage on it. Its still very quiet, no contact.. handles awesome.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I found it from a link on NASIOC where lokey had posted his findings on using the shims to rid the car of noises.

My situation is close- same bars (F&R) and same car (2011, mine is a 5dr), but I am on stock endlinks. After months of hearing the clunk, I got tired of it and started searching for solutions. I had torqud the endlink nuts to `60 ft.lb. and still had noises, so I knew it was not a loose endlink. My bushings were well-greased, and the sound was mechanical in nature, so that eliminated that possibility.

I was looking at possibly replaceing my endlinks to remedy the problem and was searching for kartboy noise threads when I saw lokey's post on NASIOC and a link to over here.

So anyway...I finally got around to removing my endlinks and going for a drive. I figured that most of the noise was coming from the front, so I only disconnected the front bar.

Before I did that, I took a few pictures of the angles and the endlinks...

First off, after looking at the pic below, it appears that I may not have been perfectly centered.

And the 2, side by side:

So with my endlinks that different from side to side, and with the angles loking lke they do in my pictures, do you guys recommend shimming with the washers, and giving it a go? If so, where woudl you guys shim?

Also, I like the siffness setting that I am on (the less-stiff one, F&R), but should I try the stiffer setting, or stay where I am and just try shims?

Lastly, should I just pre-emptively get the KB endlinks and then shim from there?

I Support ClubWRX
    Stalker!! Just kidding...wow, small world.

If it's okay, I'll answer your last question first - Yes, get the kartboy endlinks. They are well worth the money. Considering the amount of stress you are putting on the weak stock endlinks by using the stiffest settings of those bars (like me), it's almost asking for trouble.

I think the noise you are getting is from the bottom contact point. The bushing is compressed to the point of not being functional (adding any cushion)...hence, the metal on metal 'clunk'. It definitely needs to be better aligned, with or without the Kartboys. As for where to shim/space, check my pics (earlier in this thread, in My Profile, or as you've seen on NASIOC).

Of course, post pics after you're done... :-)
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast