Are new strut mounts needed when replacing struts?

This is a discussion on Are new strut mounts needed when replacing struts? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm replacing my struts with KYB G2 struts and as far as I can tell the car has the original ...

Are new strut mounts needed when replacing struts?

I'm replacing my struts with KYB G2 struts and as far as I can tell the car has the original struts and they have 120k on them. Is it necessary to replace the strut mounts or is it only if they are worn/damaged? If so are they different for each one or all the same?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

At 120k you definitely should replace the mounts as well. Look at it this way, you have to take the mounts off to change the struts, so why not change them while you're right there. You will have a huge difference with new struts and mounts on the car.

Thats what I figured. So are they all different part numbers like the struts? I found a good deal on Amazon for the struts with free shipping but cant tell what mounts I need. It kind of looks like there is a different part number for each one.

Mounts

I'm not too sure on that one, as I'm still familiarizing myself with these cars. I know on my BMW that the rears are the same left/right and the same with the front. The subie may be different and there is actually a left/right. Someone with more info on that can hopefully chime in here.

If you click on each one you get more details but its not 100% clear in the description.
    SM5244 - Rear Strut Mount, LEFT
    SM5214 - Rear Strut Mount, DRIVER SIDE
    SM5245 - Rear Strut Mount, RIGHT
    SM5361 - Front Spring Seat

Plus the pictures show a boot too and if you search for one of those part numbers its just for the plate. Ill have to check some other sites to figure it out.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYB-SM5361

Do the boots need to be replaced as well?

I went to the KYB site and got the info for the mounts and boots. I just included all the numbers for the 03 wagon and possibly other cars although Amazon said the boots weren't for my car buy KYB does so that's nice.

KYB GR2s

Struts
    334303 - Rear Left
    334302 - Rear Right
    334301 - Front Left
    334300 - Front Right

Strut Mounts
    SM5244 - Rear Left
    SM5245 - Rear Right
    SM5361 - Front Left
    SM5361 - Front Right

Strut Boots/Bellows
    SB102 - Rear Left
    SB102 - Rear Right
    SB101 - Front Left
    SB101 - Front Right
    Last edited by wasisnt; 11-17-2010 at 12:21 PM.

OP, you were not specific as to whether you wanted to use OEM strut mounts or some sort of aftermarket mounts. I do not know if the your aftermarket struts will be compatible with oem strut mounts but this is what i can see:

for an 03 wrx wagon, the part #'s are the same for the upper right and left and lower right and left for the frnt struts
    - frnt upper strut mounts (left and right are identical), oem part # 20320AA111 $79.32
    - frnt lower strut mounts (left and right are identical). oem part #20323FA000 $14.60

for the rear, the part #'s are different for right and left
    - rear right strut mount oem part #20370AC241 $72.27
    - rear left strut mount oem part #20370AC251 $72.27

hope that helps
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

I didn't realize there were upper and lower mounts and am assuming I'm going to need 8 mounts all together which will add up quick.

Maybe I should stick to the stock replacement struts and worry about the mounts if they look like they need replacing.

Those part numbers were for KYB mounts but it didn't say anything about upper and lower.

http://www.kyboutlet.com/?gclid=CKed...FRhCgwod2BlOZw

I would try this place for your struts, they might be cheaper than Summit. The lower mount is a rubber donut that you may not need to replace.

I just did the GR2 install on my 06 wagon and it needed new strut tops so I would definetly get them. You could also upgrade to the Group N strut top mounts while you are at it.

Also my boots and bellows were perfectly fine, no need to buy new ones unless you have one that is ripped.

Does anyone know for sure if the GR2s work with the stock mounts? Can you tell if they need replacing by looking at them before taking them off?

Yes the GR-2s will work with the stock top mounts.