Group N Strut Tops
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Group N Strut Tops within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I'm putting GR 2's and sti wagon pinks on. And I am still unsure whether its worth it to ...

Group N Strut Tops

So I'm putting GR 2's and sti wagon pinks on. And I am still unsure whether its worth it to get the Group N strut tops. I have considered doing just the fronts. Does anyone know how this might make it feel having stiffer tops in the front than the rear?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FlyWire View Post
    So I'm putting GR 2's and sti wagon pinks on. And I am still unsure whether its worth it to get the Group N strut tops. I have considered doing just the fronts. Does anyone know how this might make it feel having stiffer tops in the front than the rear?
    IMHO sti wagon pinks may be a bit too firm for GR2s; Tokico Dspecs would pair better.

As for the Group N tops...they would be a nice upgrade, particularly if your stockers are old/worn. Also, the Group Ns handle firmer springs much better (stockers and firmer springs tend to be bouncy).

As for having the Group Ns in the front only...many go that route due to the extra cost of the rears. Personally, I don't like to do things halfassed, so I have the Group Ns for the rear.
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 08-28-2010 at 10:51 PM.

well I would have gone with the tokico's but they don't make wagon specific struts, and like yourself I'm not really trying to do anything halfassed either. I might go ahead and get them all. theres no difference between sedan and wagon rear strut tops right?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Whiteline ComC are a better option for the fronts IMO.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I didn't really want to get into the extra adjustments and what not, but its a possiblity. It is just a daily driver after all. Do you think lowering would make a need for extra adjustability. I'm using sti pinks so the drop is minimal.

well I would have gone with the tokico's but they don't make wagon specific struts, and like yourself I'm not really trying to do anything halfassed either. I might go ahead and get them all. theres no difference between sedan and wagon rear strut tops right?
    Koni Inserts, I believe koni makes wagon specific fitment. However, many use the dspecs on a wagon. You should talk to Tony/Clint of TIC and I am sure they will get you the right setup.

www.turninconcepts.com

Sedan and wagon tops are the same.
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 08-29-2010 at 02:03 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    You're going to have to get an alignment no matter what. You can get a much better alignment than stock just specifying how to do it. With the ComC and rear camber bolts you can get a better one.

Alignment basics

(read the third post if you want the simple version)

I know I will need to get an alignment, but thats more work for the alignment tech to do and its questionable whether he will even know what to do with them. But darnit your talking me into it, it isn't much more anyways. What does everyone do as far as alignments. Do you aim for OEM specs or do you ask for specific angles? Especially with the Com C's, What have you found to be a good alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    +1. I love my ComC's. They aren't adjustable, you just put them in facing a certain direction dependent on what camber you desire. Then the camber is tweaked with the factory camber bolts during your alignment. I would definitely get those over the Group-N's. You can check out my set up in the link in my signature. Probably close to what you might be looking for.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

So you mean you can slide it in the bolt holes? Or do you turn it so a different hole is matched to different bolt? I'm assuming they will come with bolts as well? Anyone have some pictures of the Com c's installed? Also I was just curious if the extra plate affects ride height at all, or affects the mounting of a strut bar.

Yet another question, are there any options for replacing the random strut parts so dissassembly isn't even required. These would be the upper spring seat, rubber seat, helper, and spacer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    +1. I love my ComC's. They aren't adjustable, you just put them in facing a certain direction dependent on what camber you desire. Then the camber is tweaked with the factory camber bolts during your alignment. I would definitely get those over the Group-N's. You can check out my set up in the link in my signature. Probably close to what you might be looking for.

So you mean you can slide it in the bolt holes? Or do you turn it so a different hole is matched to different bolt? I'm assuming they will come with bolts as well? Anyone have some pictures of the Com c's installed? Also I was just curious if the extra plate affects ride height at all, or affects the mounting of a strut bar.

Yet another question, are there any options for replacing the random strut parts so dissassembly isn't even required. These would be the upper spring seat, rubber seat, helper, and spacer.

Thanks
    You turn it so a different hole is matched to a different bolt. My car is at home (i'm at school), so the best I can do picture wise is from the IAG website:

It didn't affect ride height (that I could tell, i did install lowering springs), and should not affect mounting a strut bar.

Also, taking the "strut assembly" apart (strut, spring, top hat) really isn't that difficult at all. Borrow a spring compressor from Autozone, etc for a $50 deposit and you're basically good to go.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Whiteline Com-C Fronts with Regular OE rear top hats. IMO, I can see that the Group-N rears will seriously do much for the $$$.

The KYB GR2 would be fine with STi pinks. A better dampers wouldn't hurt.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Thanks, that makes sense. I've already ordered a spring compressor from harbor freight, dissassembly isn't an issue I was just considering replacing the rest of the strut assembly since the majority of it is going to be new anyways. The question is where would I find those parts if I went that route?

Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    You turn it so a different hole is matched to a different bolt. My car is at home (i'm at school), so the best I can do picture wise is from the IAG website:

It didn't affect ride height (that I could tell, i did install lowering springs), and should not affect mounting a strut bar.

Also, taking the "strut assembly" apart (strut, spring, top hat) really isn't that difficult at all. Borrow a spring compressor from Autozone, etc for a $50 deposit and you're basically good to go.

I Support ClubWRX
    Notice the hole is not in the center like the stock ones.

Installed (just spin the top until they are oriented this way):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_P8300133.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	89704

pictures worth a thousand words.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast