How do I know if I need hubcentric rings?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How do I know if I need hubcentric rings? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; As the subject stated I was curious if there was some sort of rule to be followed or if they ...

How do I know if I need hubcentric rings?

As the subject stated I was curious if there was some sort of rule to be followed or if they should always be used. I figured this would be helpful to me in the future as well as other members.

More specific for my case though, I have an 09 WRX and know the stockers are 17x7 et55 and have a set of RPF1s that are 17x8 et45 and ready to put on. If they happen to be required, does anyone know the size offhand? If not, no biggie.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Dashome; 04-02-2010 at 01:04 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Bust out a ruler and measure the hub hole. If you measure more than 56.1mm, you need rings.

Gotcha. Thanks. It seems like way too many people decide to get a nice new wheel setup, yet feel like cheaping out. So many people don't bother it seems like. I am glad I asked.

My wheels came with plastic rings frm tirerack.com. I actually asked about metal before the sale and was told they were metal, but they arrived with the plastic. Those rings only help line up the wheel to the studs during mounting, correct? Once the wheel is mounted and torqued, they are basically non-functional.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
    My wheels came with plastic rings frm tirerack.com. I actually asked about metal before the sale and was told they were metal, but they arrived with the plastic. Those rings only help line up the wheel to the studs during mounting, correct? Once the wheel is mounted and torqued, they are basically non-functional.
    No. WRXs use hubcentric wheels, meaning that a majority of the stress is handled by the hub. If the hub bore on the wheel is too big, then the only thing holding the wheels in place are the lugs, which are not designed to handle that. Problems from wheel vibration to lugs breaking and wheels coming off while driving are possible. If the hub bore is too small, you won't even be able to mount the wheel.
    Last edited by brfatal; 04-05-2010 at 04:34 PM.

+1 not a good idea to throw on wheels that dont center on hub .

on a side note ive seen many aftermarket wheels with metal rings rott to the hub flange or the wheel i wouldnt use them
    If you have everything under control you're going too slow.
    Bugeye Mafia #218 XPT gm bcs stage 2
    my mods
    HIGH MILEAGE CLUB
    ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECH.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    No. WRXs use hubcentric wheels, meaning that a majority of the stress is handled by the hub. If the hub bore on the wheel is too big, then the only thing holding the wheels in place are the lugs, which are not designed to handle that. Problems from wheel vibration to lugs breaking and wheels coming off while driving are possible. If the hub bore is too small, you won't even be able to mount the wheel.
    How can all that stress be handled by a plastic ring? Doesn't make sense.

I'll have to dig through my emails with tirerack to see what they said when I fussed about not shipping the wheels with metal rings like they originally said when making the sale.
    Last edited by mmiller2002; 04-06-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Tire Rack can give you a better answer than I can. I'd imagine that the plastic isn't exactly soft, and all it has to do is keep the wheel centered.

Crazy! I was just about to ask the same question...I just ordered 17x8 Rota G force and the hub bore is 56.1mm...this thread just answered my question! I don't need any rings!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

The reason the rings are plastic is that they actually don't do much at all. They do help center the wheel and they definitely don't hurt anything, but it is actually the frictional force generated by the clamping for of the lug nuts that provides the forces to balance the forces acting on the wheel both from torque and shear.

The tapered design of the lugs nuts will center the wheel, but you need to make sure the wheel is flat on the hub, and the lug nuts are torqued properly. If you don't think you can do this, then you should likely get some hub centric runs to assist you.

If the hub centric ring was intended to support load, it would need to be a press fit.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    The reason the rings are plastic is that they actually don't do much at all. They do help center the wheel and they definitely don't hurt anything, but it is actually the frictional force generated by the clamping for of the lug nuts that provides the forces to balance the forces acting on the wheel both from torque and shear.

The tapered design of the lugs nuts will center the wheel, but you need to make sure the wheel is flat on the hub, and the lug nuts are torqued properly. If you don't think you can do this, then you should likely get some hub centric runs to assist you.

If the hub centric ring was intended to support load, it would need to be a press fit.
    Thanks. Obviously its job is to help secure the wheel centered in it's place, but I figured it was also more load bearing than the lug bolts themselves considering the lug holes in the wheels are larger than the bolts.
    Last edited by brfatal; 04-06-2010 at 12:18 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    but I figured it was also more load bearing than the lug bolts themselves considering the lug holes in the wheels are larger than the bolts.
    This is the only way to get the wheel to align with the bolts true position. Each wheel bolt hole and nut have a conical surface that aligns to the center of the bolt. This is how the wheel is held in place.
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.