While putting my winter wheels on and doing my stabilizer links today, I noticed that my 2002 WRX has a horribly corroded subframe. Mostly behind the front wheels, I can actually punch through the metal with my finger (only did it once... don't want to lose anymore structure!). I'm pretty unhappy about this issue... I've NEVER seen a problem like this on a car, even after working at a Honda dealership as a service advisor in NE Ohio.
Now, I'm no idiot and know this isn't good. So:
1. How concerned should I be?
2. Is this common?
3. Should I talk to a Subaru rep?
4. Any idea how much $$ damage I'm looking at?
5. Are there any aftermarket solutions?
6. How difficult is this? Is it a possible DIY project?