Uhhh... there are rust holes in my subframe! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Uhhh... there are rust holes in my subframe! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by ninefourteener I hate to say it..... but honestly.... I'd sell the car. ???...

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    I hate to say it..... but honestly.... I'd sell the car.
    ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamisinjo View Post
    ???
    I have a 30+ year old POS Subaru..... that had Rust holes in the body big enough to fit my FIST through.

But.... the frame was in good shape..... no frame rot at all.

But FRAME rot on an 02 WRX? If the PO can see/feel the frame rot..... imagine how much more there is he can't see or hasn't found yet?

You're talking about potential rot on crucial suspension load-bearing points, and the possibilty of literally having the frame collapse? Floors rotting?

Nope..... not worth the effort..... I say go trade that thing in before you can't sell it at all.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

I have a 30+ year old POS Subaru..... that had Rust holes in the body big enough to fit my FIST through.

But FRAME rot on an 02 WRX? If the PO can see/feel the frame rot..... imagine how much more there is he can't see or hasn't found yet?

You're talking about potential rot on crucial suspension load-bearing points, and the possibilty of literally having the frame collapse? Floors rotting?

Nope..... not worth the effort..... I say go trade that thing in before you can't sell it at all.
    gotcha. thanks for the feedback! take care.

I hate to say it..... but honestly.... I'd sell the car.
    Thats a little excessive. If im correct in which lower subframe is being talked about, then you can replace them with GTspecs or a different company.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gtspec-subframe[1].jpg  
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Actually I would expect these to be among the first things to go. They don't have the undercoating stuff just that thin black paint. If it is in the frame rails, tower tops etc. then you have a problem. We are just talking about the subframe not the structure of the actual unit-body. Just replace it and carry on IMO.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Actually I would expect these to be among the first things to go. They don't have the undercoating stuff just that thin black paint. If it is in the frame rails, tower tops etc. then you have a problem. We are just talking about the subframe not the structure of the actual unit-body. Just replace it and carry on IMO.
    yes, that is what I had gathered from the earlier thread. I may have already found a used one (fingers crossed). thanks everyone.

I have one you can have for 10 bucks, if you can pick it up from my parents house. My dads pissed I left that there.

Edit - nevermind you're in vermont. lol
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

Quote Originally Posted by Crb03 View Post
    I have one you can have for 10 bucks, if you can pick it up from my parents house. My dads pissed I left that there.

Edit - nevermind you're in vermont. lol
    haha, right... be right over! thanks tho.

My friend just recently found out that his 02 rex(no mods) has a rusted sub frame rear and front. This is ridiculous, the car isnt even 10yrs old. The engine is still going strong with 173,000 miles on it but i think the wheels will fall off before the engine takes a s**t.. I have an 04 wrx and shes clean underneath. must be an 02 issue......

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Rust holes in the sub frame and rust holes in the frame are two completely different things. In this case you can fix the problem in about 15 minutes and you would never know there had been rust in the first place. What you're talking about is like selling a car because it got a flat tire.. some parts are easily replaced.

Wow, this thread was dormant for almost a whole year.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    That's not that long considering..

I would imagine we're going to be seeing more and more rust issues as these cars age. Luckily I only have to deal with snow one week a year at the most.

An 02 wrx should not have rust, thats the point im trying to make. its not like the car was submerged underwater. im pretty disappointed due to the fact i see 1990 subi's still rocking their balls off.lol. Rust issues on an 02 just shouldnt happen, the ***** isnt even 10 yrs old yet.

Yes, count me in as another victim. 2002 wrx with 108,000 miles. I'm on line searching for some solutions, so I'm glad this thread was started and revived. I found replacement subframes that are made from aluminum for $600, (one place knocked their price down to $480 - or something) - for the rally crowd - but I will try a weld repair first. Ha, if I can get the bolts loose! I will update you if I have some success.

Same problem here with my 02 wrx. 94k miles on it and i have to replace the subframe as well. This is ridiculous!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.