04 STI rear struts?!?

This is a discussion on 04 STI rear struts?!? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys i just got a 2004 STI , i m not new to STI's i had an 05 back ...

Red face 04 STI rear struts?!?

Hey guys i just got a 2004 STI , i m not new to STI's i had an 05 back in 05. i never had this prob in that one. what is the prob.? well,i have this "knocking" sound from the back right corner of the car. i have read that the rear struts are a poor design and make a ton a noise while driving slow and stopping. i also read that someone was able to replace a few things and got the noise to stop. does anyone know what it is that needs to be replaced? the dealer told the owner before me that they could replace them but they will just make the noise again as they settle and in time (how much time was not told). i have 67k on it now. So any ideas out there on how to fix the back "kncking" noise from the rear struts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Wish I could help you but the dealer just replaced mine for free at around 35K miles. Since this issue is something Subaru was aware of, the dealer basically chalked it up to a recall. I'm at about 55K now and haven't had any knock since.

You can re-grease your rear struts (there is a thread on NASIOC about this). But, if that does not work your gonna need new rear struts.

New rear struts: OEM STi Rear Struts (04-07 WRX STi) - Springs & Shocks

But, at $360 for each strut thats kind of expensive. Some people have retrofitted Koni Inserts (i.e. using WRX strut housings) and Tokico Dspecs on STi's, but that requires some custom work (again search on NASIOC).

Also, you have the option of Ohlin Fixed Perch Struts (arguably the best strut available) and they are the only direct replacement strut available (other than OEM) for an STi.

Ohlins (scroll down): http://racecompengineering.com/item....%2C+and+Shocks

Your other option is coilovers.

Finally, I would check out this NASIOC thread on struts: Will X shocks fit with Y springs on my Z model? - NASIOC
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 04-02-2009 at 04:13 PM.

thanks

hey guys thanks for the help, another question. how long would you say i could drive on these? know its hard to say without hearing how bad it is but whats the options? drive till i have it saved up? or just rob the bank account? i dont want to cause more troble. thanks again guys

found a kit, thanks

hey guys i found this Tein Basic Coilover Damper Kit Subaru Impreza WRX STi 2004 kit for just 300 more than the stock rear replacement struts. this kit is listed on raceinspired.com for $1,053. so i m gin to save up and hope to have these in by august. thats my birthday so maybe some extra cash will help me out then. thanks for all the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLWHEELDREAMS View Post
    hey guys i found this Tein Basic Coilover Damper Kit Subaru Impreza WRX STi 2004 kit for just 300 more than the stock rear replacement struts. this kit is listed on raceinspired.com for $1,053. so i m gin to save up and hope to have these in by august. thats my birthday so maybe some extra cash will help me out then. thanks for all the help guys.
    Carefull with lower priced coilovers (those teins fall in that category). They tend to be noisy, fail (need revalving), and have a much harsher ride than stock. Many of the cheaper coilovers are horrible for a DD. The cheaper teins, megans, and helix coilovers have been problematic for many people who have used them on a DD.

I would do your homework b4 you buy any coilover.

Check out this thread (STi w/tokico Dspecs): Tokico D-Specs installed - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

I would contact TIC and ask them if they can put together a Dspec package for you with the correct sized spaces, and other parts needed for the install on a STi, as you could probally get it all for around $600. Also, being that you have a '04 STi is shouldn't be too hard b/c I belive the setup is not too much different than a WRX (they really changed it for the '05+ STI, as they have a different front knockle design).

Actually, I carefully read that NASIOC thread I gave you earlier and it clearly states you can use 02-03 WRX Tokico Dspecs on a '04 STi.

Helping you to enjoy your car - Turn In Concepts
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 04-03-2009 at 10:30 AM.

What you're experiencing is the notorious STi strut clunk. It happens. It's not a bad thing, but is annoying. Search around for the how to thread on fixing it. Basically what you need to do is repack the grease in your struts and viola, no more clunk.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

Thanks

hey guys thanks for the help again, i will def be repacking them as soon as i can find time! what so u all think of the raceinspired web site? they have a few coilovers i was lookin at, Tein Basic Coilover Damper Kit, Ksport Kontrol Pro Coilover Damper Kit , Megan Racing Coilover Damper Kit Street Series, Tokico D-Spec Series Advanced Handling Suspension Kit. anyone heard of bad things on any pf these?

in advance thanks again

Coilovers?

So I am going to save up and hope to buy a set of coilovers around mid aug. I am will to spend right around $1400-%1600. the set that catches my eye right now are the ksport sets right around that price. but have looked at the tein ss set up as well. id like to stay with tein just i have heard only good things about them. in one response someone listed a few coilover kits to stay away from. are there any others out there you know of that are crap? again not buyin till mid to late aug. 09. so no rush i will be reading up on them myself but any ideas would be helpful so i can watch the market and pprices on a good set. as for performance i wjust like damping adjustability and ride height. i'd rather not getinto the camber caster adjustments. a nice simple swap out with height and damping control. thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLWHEELDREAMS View Post
    are there any others out there you know of that are crap?
    Yes, the Ksports are crap. Go with the KW Variant 1, Eibach Pro-Street (similar to KW 1s), RCE Tarmac 0, or Tein SS Coilovers. If you can spend a little more or can find them used get the RCE Tarmac II coilovers.
    Last edited by sr20dehauler; 05-09-2009 at 02:10 PM.