Repair estimate? Knowledge would be nice!

This is a discussion on Repair estimate? Knowledge would be nice! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I hit a curb last night going about 25 into a corner. Wet ground plus bald tires didn't work too ...

Repair estimate? Knowledge would be nice!

I hit a curb last night going about 25 into a corner. Wet ground plus bald tires didn't work too well...

I hit the curb on the front passenger side wheel pretty hard, and the wheel assembly is now riding on the back of the wheelwell. I don't know much about suspensions and how they work, and it doesn't look like I bent the frame, so can anyone give me a ROUGH estimate for damage repairs? I'm thinking LCA? axle? What controls where the wheel sits?

I live in WA and normally repairs are about $70 an hour.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wonderful pictures you posted.

It happened last night and I didn't have a camera with flash to take any

I'll head over and take some today, luckily a buddy lived nearby so I could store it overnight.

Just got home with some pics, keep in mind I do not know much about what I am doing, so your help is greatly appreciated.

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Last edited by nicknoble; 03-29-2009 at 01:53 PM.

bump for wondering how bad off i am

You have a bent control arm, and broken end-link at the least. You may have also bent the front control arm bushing mount, tie-rod, and tie-rod end.

control arm, end-links, and tie-rod end can be installed yourself (assuming you have a shop manual, tools, and some wrench-time).

Replacing a bent tie-rod is a bit more complex, and if you bent the front bushing mount for the control arm do yourself a favor and call a frame shop.

You should also have an alighnment to ensure you havent bent either of the front struts.

A cousin of mine wreched my 03 sedan but insterting it into the rear fenderwell of an Explorer. My wheel was a little further into the firewall than yours was, and was blown apart, the control arm folded in half.

I replaced all four struts and springs with Tokico Dspec kit.
    Installed Kartboy end-link front and rear. Both control arms replaced with STi control arms. Of course a few additional upgrades while i happened to be working on the car, i couldn't resist, but i still have the car on stands because the front CA mount is bent and after several attempts to straighten it myself I'm getting close to giving up and sending to a frame/body shop or replacing the cross-member completely.

Anyway, hopefully you've gotten it repaired by now, if not, hope this helps.

You're going to need a new wheel, axle, and a few other suspension components depending on exactly what broke. Are you also going to have the front fender fixed (straighten & paint)?

I'd say 10 hours labor on the repair plus another $1500 in parts. But that's really hard to say without getting a lot better look at it.
    The fender repair is about $1200-1500 but that depends a lot on the shop.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Cool

Check out car-parts and Millenium Auto(y2kparts)for some used parts prices, there is also classifieds here and on Nasoic.

Roughly you're looking @
    LCA ($50-$100),
    endlink $20-30,
    tie rod $30-50,
    ball joint $15-40,
    strut ($50-150) and
    possibly the subframe $100-400 (you can upgrade to 05+ w/ quicker rack and all).

Best case total =~$250, worst case scenario about $600 in parts, the rest will be labour which would probably be in $200-600 range.