Repair estimate? Knowledge would be nice!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Repair estimate? Knowledge would be nice! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I hit a curb last night going about 25 into a corner. Wet ground plus bald tires didn't work too ...

Repair estimate? Knowledge would be nice!

I hit a curb last night going about 25 into a corner. Wet ground plus bald tires didn't work too well...

I hit the curb on the front passenger side wheel pretty hard, and the wheel assembly is now riding on the back of the wheelwell. I don't know much about suspensions and how they work, and it doesn't look like I bent the frame, so can anyone give me a ROUGH estimate for damage repairs? I'm thinking LCA? axle? What controls where the wheel sits?

I live in WA and normally repairs are about $70 an hour.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wonderful pictures you posted.

It happened last night and I didn't have a camera with flash to take any

I'll head over and take some today, luckily a buddy lived nearby so I could store it overnight.

Just got home with some pics, keep in mind I do not know much about what I am doing, so your help is greatly appreciated.

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Last edited by nicknoble; 03-29-2009 at 02:53 PM.

bump for wondering how bad off i am

You have a bent control arm, and broken end-link at the least. You may have also bent the front control arm bushing mount, tie-rod, and tie-rod end.

control arm, end-links, and tie-rod end can be installed yourself (assuming you have a shop manual, tools, and some wrench-time).

Replacing a bent tie-rod is a bit more complex, and if you bent the front bushing mount for the control arm do yourself a favor and call a frame shop.

You should also have an alighnment to ensure you havent bent either of the front struts.

A cousin of mine wreched my 03 sedan but insterting it into the rear fenderwell of an Explorer. My wheel was a little further into the firewall than yours was, and was blown apart, the control arm folded in half.

I replaced all four struts and springs with Tokico Dspec kit.
    Installed Kartboy end-link front and rear. Both control arms replaced with STi control arms. Of course a few additional upgrades while i happened to be working on the car, i couldn't resist, but i still have the car on stands because the front CA mount is bent and after several attempts to straighten it myself I'm getting close to giving up and sending to a frame/body shop or replacing the cross-member completely.

Anyway, hopefully you've gotten it repaired by now, if not, hope this helps.

You're going to need a new wheel, axle, and a few other suspension components depending on exactly what broke. Are you also going to have the front fender fixed (straighten & paint)?

I'd say 10 hours labor on the repair plus another $1500 in parts. But that's really hard to say without getting a lot better look at it.
    The fender repair is about $1200-1500 but that depends a lot on the shop.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Cool

Check out car-parts and Millenium Auto(y2kparts)for some used parts prices, there is also classifieds here and on Nasoic.

Roughly you're looking @
    LCA ($50-$100),
    endlink $20-30,
    tie rod $30-50,
    ball joint $15-40,
    strut ($50-150) and
    possibly the subframe $100-400 (you can upgrade to 05+ w/ quicker rack and all).

Best case total =~$250, worst case scenario about $600 in parts, the rest will be labour which would probably be in $200-600 range.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.