Broken Rear Lateral Link

This is a discussion on Broken Rear Lateral Link within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, This morning while driving to work I noticed that something just wasn't quite right. I kept getting the ...

Broken Rear Lateral Link

Hey all,

This morning while driving to work I noticed that something just wasn't quite right. I kept getting the sense torque steer and what seemed to be intermittent wheel hop. Because I was driving in stop and go traffic and the shoddy state of most of the roads here in San Diego I couldn't tell if I was imaging things or if there was really something wrong? Later in the day I decided to do some investigating. Because of the torque steer I suspected that the issue was in the front end...

Maybe a bad strut?
    Bad engine mount?
    Front drive shaft?
    Bad CV joint?
    Wheel bearing?
    Lose front sway bar or control arm?
    Failed bushing?

After spending 15-20 minutes digging around in the front end I was beginning to become paranoid. I did a quick look under the rear of the car but at first glance everything seemed fine.

I did some more driving on city streets paying careful attention to how the car was pulling decidedly to left with careful throttle modulation. At this point I was convinced that something was wrong but I had no idea what it was. I decided to risk it and take the car on the freeway to see if faster speeds would lead to more telling symptoms. Once I got the car up to about 55 MPH there was a very distinctive shudder and a repeated knocking noise coming from the rear of the car. I used my rear view mirrors to inspect the tires as I was driving. One glance at the drivers rear and I knew it was a bad lateral link or wheel bearing. I immediately pulled of the freeway and snapped the following picture:

So the question is, now that I know what is wrong, what should I replace the broken lateral link with?

Stock?

STI?
    STi Lateral Link Set [ ST202504S000 ] - SubaruWRXParts.com

Whiteline?
    Whiteline Adjustable Rear Control Arms (Sedan) [ KTA109 ] - SubaruWRXParts.com

godspeed?
    eBay Motors: godspeed 02-05 subaru wrx sedan rear lateral link set 4 (item 180337670522 end time Mar-26-09 19:13:04 PDT)

Cuso?
    Cusco Rear Lateral Links and Trailing Arms for 2002+ WRX and STi, Impreza Suspension from JSC Speed

The car is question is a 03 sedan with Cusco front and rear strut bars, front and rear sway bars and aftermarket end links.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd got with the Whiteline parts if you want the adjustability. If you simply want parts that work, I'd go with the STi stuff.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I think the more important question is how did you break that?

That looks like a clean break, almost like it took a direct sharp impact there.

Any idea? I wouldn't replace it until you know what caused it. Those shouldn't break like that.

Quote Originally Posted by glickstue View Post
    Hey all,

This morning while driving to work I noticed that something just wasn't quite right. I kept getting the sense torque steer and what seemed to be intermittent wheel hop. Because I was driving in stop and go traffic and the shoddy state of most of the roads here in San Diego I couldn't tell if I was imaging things or if there was really something wrong? Later in the day I decided to do some investigating. Because of the torque steer I suspected that the issue was in the front end...

Maybe a bad strut?
    Bad engine mount?
    Front drive shaft?
    Bad CV joint?
    Wheel bearing?
    Lose front sway bar or control arm?
    Failed bushing?

After spending 15-20 minutes digging around in the front end I was beginning to become paranoid. I did a quick look under the rear of the car but at first glance everything seemed fine.

I did some more driving on city streets paying careful attention to how the car was pulling decidedly to left with careful throttle modulation. At this point I was convinced that something was wrong but I had no idea what it was. I decided to risk it and take the car on the freeway to see if faster speeds would lead to more telling symptoms. Once I got the car up to about 55 MPH there was a very distinctive shudder and a repeated knocking noise coming from the rear of the car. I used my rear view mirrors to inspect the tires as I was driving. One glance at the drivers rear and I knew it was a bad lateral link or wheel bearing. I immediately pulled of the freeway and snapped the following picture:

So the question is, now that I know what is wrong, what should I replace the broken lateral link with?
    hi mate,

I have had the exact thing happen to me a few days ago.

It is because of our solid end links - they dont allow enough sway on the lateral arm joint - and they just snap!

I'l be going with a set of pink Sti ones soon

I ended up going with a stock replacement for the sort term. I'm still eyeing the STI pinks along with springs and struts. I recently swapped the front control arms for for the STI aluminum ones but I think any more parts for the WRX are going to be on the long term plan as I need to put a new tranny in my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by waxdass View Post
    It is because of our solid end links - they dont allow enough sway on the lateral arm joint - and they just snap!
    Mine broke with stock end links, but I do have a big rear sway bar...

FYI

Rob Thomas
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    My WRX | Mod Reviews

Wife's car: 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Limited 7-passenger
    WRX Strut Spacers...better than the washer mod!

Quote Originally Posted by DomozitoLK View Post
    Mine broke with stock end links, but I do have a big rear sway bar...

FYI

interesting!

Vew
    Reviving a dead post.

Mine snapped today. Wheel almost freaking fell off. Thought it was just a bent sway bar until I got it on a lift, realizing the sway bar was probably the only think keeping it together! Also have an aftermarket sway and endlinks.

Jon
    "We live for a good time, not a long time."
    RIP Colin McRae

What are the turn-buckle type jiggers for? A diffuser?

Vew
    Yes, they're for my rear diffuser.
    Jon
    "We live for a good time, not a long time."
    RIP Colin McRae