help! clunking when cornering

This is a discussion on help! clunking when cornering within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i recently bought an 03 wrx sedan and i noticed that when i corner hard it makes a loud clunk ...

help! clunking when cornering

i recently bought an 03 wrx sedan and i noticed that when i corner hard it makes a loud clunk and it feels like something hits the bottom of the car under my feet. i have no idea what it could be but its freaking me out. anyone have an idea? im pretty sure the car is lowered

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyrooftw View Post
    i recently bought an 03 wrx sedan and i noticed that when i corner hard it makes a loud clunk and it feels like something hits the bottom of the car under my feet. i have no idea what it could be but its freaking me out. anyone have an idea? im pretty sure the car is lowered
    How many miles on the car? Do you notice any fluid/grease in the supension/strut area?

Most likely you have a blown strut(s). Struts tend to wear out over time (after 80-100K miles) and lowering the car only accelerates that.

Other possibility (less likely IMHO) is you have a broken CV joint/boot.

Regardless, I would take it to a trusted shop to find out the problem and then we can talk about upgrade/replacement options if it is the struts. If it the CV joint then its just a replacement OEM part thing.
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 03-02-2009 at 01:51 PM.

it has 82k miles on it so the strut being blown would prolly make sense. sucks tho cuz i am low on cash and i need tires lol. how would i check to see if the struts are blown. would i have to take it off?

it has 82k miles on it so the strut being blown would prolly make sense. sucks tho cuz i am low on cash and i need tires lol. how would i check to see if the struts are blown. would i have to take it off?
    Put it up on a lift or jack it up & check each corner. If there is fuild/grease all over the strut its bad. Also, when a strut goes the car starts to get bouncy and ride like ***.

hmm its starting to sound more and more like a blown strut i thought the rough ride was just cuz of the stiff springs. i guess ill be checking this weekend when it warms up

haha.. i had the exact same problem i recently bought an 06 sti and it did the exact same thing come to find out i have a motor mount that is torqued out of position and makes that same noise if you can check that out u might just need a motor mount, i could be wrong in your case but it sounds like the same problem as me maybe that will help ya out a little bit =p

Quote Originally Posted by c2bcoolwrx View Post
    How many miles on the car? Do you notice any fluid/grease in the supension/strut area?

Most likely you have a blown strut(s). Struts tend to wear out over time (after 80-100K miles) and lowering the car only accelerates that.

Other possibility (less likely IMHO) is you have a broken CV joint/boot.

Regardless, I would take it to a trusted shop to find out the problem and then we can talk about upgrade/replacement options if it is the struts. If it the CV joint then its just a replacement OEM part thing.
    +1 on the cv boot. Funny because I just had this worked on today. It cost me $460 in labor to have the axel removed and the front boots replaced. BTW I have 80k on my 2004 wrx.

Originally I thought that the sway bar was cracked or the differential was acting up.

The click/crunching only occurred for me when i went really slow while turning into a parking spot or while slowing down for speed bumps.

Take a look under the car near the front drive shafts and take a look for any grease slung around near the cv boots. If there is grease leaking you know what's wrong ;-). The boots on my car looked fine but the very end of both boots were cracked and there were 2 obvious mounds of grease where the boots were cracked.

I hope you can find out the solution! Let us know how it goes.
    Cobb Accessport v1 stage 2 93 map, Nitto Invo Tires, Sti Front and Perrin Rear Sways, Rota Torque Wheels, APS Exhaust 3.5" turbo back. Catless TurboXS Up pipe, Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake lines, Hawk HPS Brake Pads, Paranoid Fabrications Cowl Braces, Group-N Tophats, Group-N Trans and Engine Mount, Tokico Dspec w/ Rce Black springs

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmuch? View Post
    +1 on the cv boot. Funny because I just had this worked on today. It cost me $460 in labor to have the axel removed and the front boots replaced. BTW I have 80k on my 2004 wrx.

Originally I thought that the sway bar was cracked or the differential was acting up.

The click/crunching only occurred for me when i went really slow while turning into a parking spot or while slowing down for speed bumps.

Take a look under the car near the front drive shafts and take a look for any grease slung around near the cv boots. If there is grease leaking you know what's wrong ;-). The boots on my car looked fine but the very end of both boots were cracked and there were 2 obvious mounds of grease where the boots were cracked.

Yep been there. I paid about the same too (more than I expected). Those boots get old, dry out and can crack over time. Or if your unlucky enough you could run over something just right (or just wrong) and puncture one.

thanks for all the suggestions. ive got a few things to check i guess. not till this weekend tho. its too damn cold now lol

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxmuch? View Post

+1 I have this exact same problem right now! Not sure what it is, but it is exactly how you describe when turning slowly in parking lots or slowing down for dips and bumps in the road. I'll get up under there tomorrow and see if I can see what you're talking about with the grease...

Then again, I just recently installed new lowering springs on my stock struts (65k miles) and yes I did get an alignment but I just wonder if it has to do with those as well...

I am experiencing the same problem with my 04 and just clicked over 100K.
    This banging sound is felt throughout the car only when driving longer distances when the U joints (CV joints) are warmed up, and turning sharp into driveways at lower speeds.
    Not warmed up, the car does not make that sound when turning the wheel.
    I would replace that first before you purchase new tires (if you don't drive the car everyday). If they break while driving then that could cause serious damage and a tow home from what I have heard.

Good luck, as I will need the same.
    B
    G
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by JuNgLeStEpHeAd View Post
    I am experiencing the same problem with my 04 and just clicked over 100K.
    This banging sound is felt throughout the car only when driving longer distances when the U joints (CV joints) are warmed up, and turning sharp into driveways at lower speeds.
    Not warmed up, the car does not make that sound when turning the wheel.
    I would replace that first before you purchase new tires (if you don't drive the car everyday). If they break while driving then that could cause serious damage and a tow home from what I have heard.

Good luck, as I will need the same.
    Keep us updated but this thread was made back in '09 (almost 3 years ago) so I'm not sure if the people who posted in this thread are still around...

Check the Bearing Hub