squeaky struts?

This is a discussion on squeaky struts? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, on my '02 WRX I am experiencing a increasingly bad squeak in the rear left and sometimes right struts? ...

squeaky struts?

Hi, on my '02 WRX I am experiencing a increasingly bad squeak in the rear left and sometimes right struts? I have a dirt road that I have to drive on to get to work, which I think might have caused some dirt to get inside but dont know for sure? I know these struts on the car were not cheap but they were already on the car when I bought it..... If you could please help me better understand I would be very grateful...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

squeaky struts

I've had the same problem with my 03 since soon after I drove it off the dealership lot brand new. I think water is causing mine...got inside there somehow. mine occurs more on the right side front/rear.

I Support ClubWRX
    Moved to suspension forum
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Are you sure it's the struts and not the sway bar? If there are aftermarket struts on it, it's certainly possible there are aftermarket sway bars and bushings. The bushings may need lubrication, causing them to squeak.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^^ could be the sway bar. My after market sway bars squeaked uncontrollably until I modified the front bushings and installed greasable units in the rear.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Im having a similar problem. My 04 STI has an extremely loud popping and creaking noise coming from the struts which has gotten progressively louder over the last few months. It first became noticeable at slow speeds on uneven ground (pulling in the driveway). I greased the sway bar and replaced all my bushings but the noise remains. Ive been trying to avoid the obvious, Im pretty sure my struts are blown. I can feel no damping in my suspension and my car is real bouncy.
    Even heavy duty coilovers and struts only last so long, if you live on a dirt road or in an area with poor roads they are gonna take a serious beating.

squeaky struts

well I haven't done any mods to my suspension...all stock except the rims/rubber. but they squeaked even with my stock tires installed.

my squeaking began about 3 months after buying it new, and I don't travel any dirty roads. maybe it's a factory defect, such as the bushings and such not being greased down before installation?

Very common problem mostly on the STI's... we see them all the time at work....its seems one of the weak spots of the STI's are the rear struts.....

I did those things and it didnt help the noise. I replaced all my bushings, greased my sway bar, etc. Im about to put a new set of coilovers on this month so Ill let you know if that cures the problem. I have heard mechanics and tuners here in LA saying the same thing over and over, "STI struts are notorious for failure and noise." Even though mine are blown now I cant say I am displeased. I got almost 100k mi out of em with no problems. You gotta admit the stock STI suspension is great while it lasts. It's compliant and responsive, as good on gravel as it is on tarmac, thats hard to pull off.

thanks to all of you for your responses! I mean its not a huge deal its just something that has been bugging me but I just dont have the time to work on it like I wish I did..... Two jobs and all...

Make sure that you have some grease on your upper and lower spring perches.