A heads up about the tires on your car - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on A heads up about the tires on your car within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just curious how long have you all gone on the stock re-92's before getting some good tires? I've got 26k ...

Just curious how long have you all gone on the stock re-92's before getting some good tires? I've got 26k on mine and they are starting to look really worn.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scenicroadways View Post
    Just curious how long have you all gone on the stock re-92's before getting some good tires? I've got 26k on mine and they are starting to look really worn.
    I switched mine out after 22K. They were garbage. I've used Yokohama's Avid V4S ever since (77K now). Great ratings at a really good price. My last set lasted 40K.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

i'm not sure how i managed but i was able to get 30-35K on mine and did so driving far less conservatively than i do now.
    "it's not a crime if you don't get caught"
    - an Indiana State Trooper (class of '03)

I Support ClubWRX
    Umm... I think 18k? Not long
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Slide View Post
    The guy at discount tire was trying to convince me that a 3.5 year old tire isn't that old....when you're not even supposed to keep a tire past 6 years. Was trying to tell me a tire is good for 10 years on the shelf. He had their warehouse guys check the DOT on the other ones. All are 3.5 years old.
    I know this is a really old post, but I figured good info about this subject is always good. I managed a sears auto center for 2 years, and was there when this story ran in the news. Sears and most large chain stores has a program of returning and/or destroying old tires. At Sears, when a tire was too old (over 6 years) we drilled holes in the sidewall and tossed it in with our junk tires to be hauled off.

All of the manufacturers, though, did pass on to me the 10 years limit on shelf life. And indeed, a tire will dry rot much, much faster after it is on a vehicle as opposed to on a shelf.

Overall, the biggest place I'd watch for this is your small, independent dealers! The larger companies usually move them before they're too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Not to mention, did they even make the WRX in 2001? At least, here in the US...
    Purchased my 2002 WRX in May of 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Did you ever find out what that means? Because I'm having the same problem... mine read something like 91H
    Just a note, since you said your tires were 91H, which means they are "H" speed rated. All WRXs come with "V" speed rated tires. Going down a speed rating is not a good idea either. The cars are designed to handle with the speed rating that comes on them. Changing it can drastically change how the vehicle handles. Going up makes the sidewall stiffer, and usually increases handling. Going down speed ratings, reduces the stiffness of the sidewall and makes the vehicle handle worse.
    Last edited by Red02WRXSti; 11-03-2009 at 07:12 AM.
    - Lester
    -Stink-Eye Mob #69 -
    2009 WRX Premium Sedan - Dark Gray Metallic
    2004 WRX - Red w/black ghost flames -SOLD
    2002 WRX - Sedona Red Pearl - SOLD

they should sell those tires dirt cheap like 40 bucks a tire since there so old and "dangerous" for all the slideing fans lol

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You registered just to pull a jesus on a thread that's been dead for 3 years?
    Last edited by xxxxxxxAnub1s; 05-28-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Grammatical nightmare.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Hallelujah!! Praise the rex gods!

Sent from my DROID2 Global using Tapatalk 2

Interesting....

very good info, i know this is old but thanks for the heads up if your still on here!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345