Subaru WRX Forum banner

A heads up about the tires on your car

58K views 72 replies 48 participants last post by  wrexaru 
#1 · (Edited)
#34 · (Edited)
beware the full size spare! Most look new and havent seen much action esp on your moms '92 camry

most tire warranties are for 5-6 years after installation..not the DOT born on date.

because of centrifugal force tires in motion want to peel and come apart. if a tire tread peels off the tire carcass then it would not be caused by under inflation. Under inflation/over loading failure would be more overheating and sidewall damage i think..tho an over loaded/under inflated 14 yr old tire would prolly be disaster

another possible scenario that a tread would peel off would be an incorrectly repaired tire.
if you get a tire repaired by patch water might get in the heart of the tire from the outside. The steel belt could rust and rot the tire from the inside causing the peeling effect.
if you get a tire repaired by plug you have about a 50/50 chance of going back to get it repaired again assuming you make it there without under inflation damage.
whats teh solution you ask? plug AND patch your tires but finding a place that does that might be difficult. I know costco does it for sure
:edit: but costco only repairs their own tires

#36 ·
i'm running BFGoodrich traction T/As on stock rims on stock rims and they are awesome for where i live. i need to get some good summer tires for some 18s i'm getting. water evacuation is a must but tear up dry pavement. don't wanna spend more than $180 (unless Goodyear Eagle F1 DGwhich i've been drooling over). have been looking at the Kuhmo MX. any suggestions?

#38 ·
I checked my summer Hankook RS2s laying in the garage the other day and couldn't find any number resembling what they described. The only thing I know is I bought them in summer '06.

#48 · (Edited)
thanks for the heads up, i'm gonna go check my tires when the sun comes up.

And after checking my tires they were all made in 06 so I'm good for now.

but the reporter dude was right, I had to look on the back of the tires to find the build date.

G
#54 ·
looking for alittle help im bout to purchase some wheels i was wondering if 18 inch rims are two big for my 2003 wrx if i should go with just 17s.
Check out the comprehensive modification list for our cars. I snagged this list from somewhere online once: http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/6/356271/ModificationPriorityList.doc

They say go 17x8, as light as possible... I imagine that's where you'll see the best perfomance for our cars, or at least the best compromise between performance and ride quality.

#62 ·
I switched mine out after 22K. They were garbage. I've used Yokohama's Avid V4S ever since (77K now). Great ratings at a really good price. My last set lasted 40K. :thumbup:

#71 ·
Speaking of heads ups about the tires on your car...First time AWD vehicle owner (soon to be) here. What's the consensus on having different brand/tread tires on the front and rear? The PO bought new tires for the front wheels a year or 2 ago and not for the rears. Are the differentials going to blow up on me? Should I buy 4 new tires, stat, regardless of current tire condition?

#73 ·
Keep all 4 the same. Best to have all four tires with the same tread depths (or close to.. I think within 2 to 3/32nds of an inch). I'm not too knowledgeable on this, I'm still learning. But, this is what I've heard from every awd or 4x4 owner. Maybe times have changed and the technology in our cars can compensate for this. But.. I personally stick to the idea of 4 level treaded tires (regular rotations) and all four similar tires, tread pattern, load rating and tread compound on each axle.

On another note, sold the oem 245 dunlop sp01s that came w/ MY14 wrx, slapped some 245/40R18 Michelin Pilot super sports. Loving them so far, picks up a few more rocks due to their stickier nature. I've noticed some tram-lining w/ the wider wheels and tires, but nothing terrible.

I had the Michelins on a previous fwd car, and loved them. I only had to slow down on a rainy track day because my wipers couldn't keep up (compared to an older set of nitto invos I had on the same car)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.