A heads up about the tires on your car - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on A heads up about the tires on your car within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by SD_GR My F1 GS-D3s will soon need replacement and they've been made in 06/06. Ironic. As in ...

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    My F1 GS-D3s will soon need replacement and they've been made in 06/06. Ironic.
    As in you've worn them out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i gotta check all of my tires when i get home
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    i gotta check all of my tires when i get home
    Yeah. I'm a bit annoyed at this point. If my tires were made in may of 05 we're going on 3 and a half years sitting on the shelf. That gives me like the next 4 ish months before it gets too cold here for summer tires and then 2 years or so before they are reaching the edge of their usuable life.

Almost 3.5 years old on a tire that is good for perhaps 6? Bah.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Slide View Post
    As in you've worn them out?
    Somewhat. Since the tread pattern is a V any camber wear tends to just make a smaller V, until what ends up happening is the tread looks like a v instead with "slicks" on either end. This works great in the dry, and the tyres start out world-class in the wet, but I don't know how well water can get out of the little v (am around 25,000 miles on them nowadays). Since it's going to rain next some time in 2012 in California where my car is at, it's not quite as big an issue as it could be.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I had new tires installed a few months ago, and I'm happy to say the drivers side tires are 5107 and 0108.

But in the future I'll be asking to see the tires before they are installed.

Something to note: Tirerack claims they have a 2 year limit on all of their tires. They "guarantee" your tire will not be more than 2 years old.

Discount tire direct has nothing like this and claims that their most recent shipment was in July for F1 DS-G3's. I find it hard to believe goodyear shipped them 3.5 year old tires this month.

The guy at discount tire was trying to convince me that a 3.5 year old tire isn't that old....when you're not even supposed to keep a tire past 6 years. Was trying to tell me a tire is good for 10 years on the shelf. He had their warehouse guys check the DOT on the other ones. All are 3.5 years old.

So unless tirerack is full of crap it looks like I'm waiting another 5 days for tires...because I'm returning these.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Slide View Post
    So unless tirerack is full of crap it looks like I'm waiting another 5 days for tires...because I'm returning these.
    Seems like a great idea. Performance tires have a softer compound that probably degrades faster than a typical all season regular passenger car tire.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    That's "two parts jelly, one part butter". It is how I like my toast in the morning.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Seems like a great idea. Performance tires have a softer compound that probably degrades faster than a typical all season regular passenger car tire.
    Yeah kind of what I was thinking. The other set arrived this afternoon and it is also 3.5 years old. Apparently everything they have in this tire is that series.

The discount tire guy has been really cool so far about it, offering me solutions such as a different tire ( no thanks, i want this one) or even a discount on the tires I got. Depending on how much of a discount we're talking here I may go with that. I could prolly wear these out in three summer seasons (which around here is like may-october) before they reached the outer edge of their shelf life.

A discount on them might make up for the shortened life...considering I might wear them out by then anyhow. Would save the hassle of reordering and whatnot.

wow. thanks for the heads up. ill be checking all my tires from now on
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

great info! thanks alot

Now I actually have a reason to find my flashlight.
    TEH KILLZOR PANDA WRX.
    Mods - Cardomain
    Me - Myspace

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Great find!
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Lol....so I email Goodyear asking them why Discount Tire Direct would receive 3.5ish year old tires in a shipment as recently as the beginning of July. Their response? Found it funny because it was almost exactly what the guy in the video said.

Thank you for contacting our web site and for your interest in tire safety.

The Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) represents the position that there is not one specific chronological age at which tires should be removed from service because there is no data that supports a specific age.

Age is not the key, consistent maintenance, proper inflation and regular inspection for treadwear patterns and damage are the keys to good tire performance.

While there is no data that demonstrates a tire is less safe when it reaches a certain age, for consumers who are concerned about the age or condition of their tires, it is recommended they let a tire professional inspect their tires.

Karen Knight
    Consumer Relations

Thanks for the great info. I was thinking of buying some new tires so this will help a lot.

link is gone... can i get a new one if someone finds it or like tell me what its about
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast