@#%@#$% STi strut mounts

This is a discussion on @#%@#$% STi strut mounts within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my right rear strut has come loose from its mount and is clunking like an SOB. It is also ...

@#%@#$% STi strut mounts

So my right rear strut has come loose from its mount and is clunking like an SOB. It is also causing the car to yaw and pull to the left everytime I accelerate (regardless of how fast or hard).
    I spoke with Seth (Grayson) last week. His tech told him that they could replace the stock strut mount, but it would just come loose in about 10K miles. He suggested that if I could find some neoprene mounts, that would permanently alleviate the problem. I checked on JSCSpeed but they didn't have any.
    Does anyone know who would carry those types of strut mounts, or can even suggest another kind of mount that would fix this aggravating issue?

I fail to understand why Subaru knows about this, yet refuses to recall the STis to fix this issue.
    They are clueless if they think this doesn't affect the operation/performance of the car.

I did a search for aftermarket strut mounts and came up empty.

Any help would be great.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What part is loose? The top nut on the strut shaft, the three bolts that hold the mount to the body, or is the tophat itself coming apart?

If it is one of the first two, I'd say get some threadlock and retorque the nuts. If the tophat itself is coming apart, I'd just replace it. I'm not aware of an issue with the OE tophats regularly failing.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm assuming he's talking about the Group-N mounts

Impreza Suspension
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks guys.
    Pardon my lack of knowledge about the rear suspension.
    I'm not sure what the source is, but it's clunking pretty badly. It's most apparent when I'm backing out of my driveway and sometimes over small bumps.
    It also causes the car to quickly/repeatedly 'hesitate' during acceleration. It's almost like the engine is sputtering or something.
    This happened on the left rear strut about a year ago. With the exception of the car yawing during acceleration, the car was showing the exact same symptoms. At the time, the dealer replaced it because it was still under warranty.
    Thanks for that link, Skoal. Those first Group N mounts may be exactly what I need.
    I'll keep you posted on this, should anyone else have this issue and need a solution.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think it's very common for the rear (or front) strut mounts to go (I've seen maybe one or two cases)- the WRX has identical tops btw

What is very common w/ the STi is for the rear struts to develop a stiction problem that ultimately results in a clunk. This unfortunately is somewhat inherit w/ inverted struts. In can be helped w/ a greasing of the strut (which requires disassembly).
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    I don't think it's very common for the rear (or front) strut mounts to go (I've seen maybe one or two cases)- the WRX has identical tops btw

What is very common w/ the STi is for the rear struts to develop a stiction problem that ultimately results in a clunk. This unfortunately is somewhat inherit w/ inverted struts. In can be helped w/ a greasing of the strut (which requires disassembly).
    Can that stiction problem cause a yaw when you accelerate?
    I may be way off, but it seems like something back there is loose to the point that is causing the wheel to 'toe out' just a little, resulting in the pulling hard to the left.
    And by 'requires disassembly', do you mean the strut itself, or just the fact that you have to remove it(and the spring from it) from the rear linkage assembly?
    -Albert Einstein

-Ronald Reagan

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not saying your rear strut top isn't whacked- it would be easy to tell by removing it

stiction problem w/ the strut is noisy, but no real effects on handling

to grease them (if your having stiction problems) they need to be fully disassembled- there is a nut on the very bottom of the strut that needs to be removed and then the "innards" are removed- this allows you to clean up the old grease and put new in- there is a pretty good how to on nasioc on this

Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi View Post
    It also causes the car to quickly/repeatedly 'hesitate' during acceleration. It's almost like the engine is sputtering or something.
    This sounds like something else is wrong with the car. There's no reason the car should hesitate due to a strut problem.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ I missed that part- yeah that's not suspension related

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    This sounds like something else is wrong with the car. There's no reason the car should hesitate due to a strut problem.
    ^ I missed that part- yeah that's not suspension related
    Gents,
    The 'hesitation' isn't coming from the engine.
    I wish I could explain it better, but I'll try.
    The hesitation feels like several sequential tiny, very very quick 'surges', as if someone was in the back seat behind you pushing (i.e. a quick 'tap') on the seat several times in a row.
    The thing is, when the left rear strut was clunking about a year ago, it did the same exact 'hesitation'. The dealer replaced the whole strut and that hesitation disappeared. I don't think that was a coincidence.
    I'm going to take it to Grayson as soon as I get a chance and have them look at it. I think having someone actually take a look at it will find the cause.
    Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep you posted when I find out the issue.
    -Albert Einstein

-Ronald Reagan