TiC Tok Suspension Kit
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on TiC Tok Suspension Kit within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; About 2 weeks ago my right rear strut started knocking. 2004 STi with 86000km. I now want to invest in ...

TiC Tok Suspension Kit

About 2 weeks ago my right rear strut started knocking. 2004 STi with 86000km.

I now want to invest in a new suspension kit for my car. My car is a daily driver, and due to price and comfort reasons, I do not want Coilovers.

After a significant amount of research, i stumbled accross this kit.

TiC Tok suspension package Turn In Concepts

I want to know if this kit if best suited for my application? (daily driver with weekend track days).

Also, whats the deal with these Rear Tophat Spacers for 04 fitments?

Can anyone suggest something better for me? That is relativley inexpensive.

Has anyone dealth with this kit specifically?
    Last edited by ooWRXoo; 06-09-2008 at 07:20 AM.
    Black 2004 WRX STi - BlobEye Syndicate #200
    "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no EVO."
    I'm always looking for Subaru fanatics in the greater Montreal area. If your close, send me a pm.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I can't offer any advice on the suspension itself, but as far as making it all fit on your car with the correct spacers/tophats/etc, I would recommend calling TiC. If you tell them specifically what you have, i.e. "I have a 2004 STi and want to run these struts..." they should be able to tell you exactly what components are required to make that happen properly. Those guys know what they're talking about and will probably help you avoid any ambiguity when it comes time to place an order. That being said, BigSky will probably chime in and not only know what parts are needed but also have the manufacturer's part numbers, phone number to call, and wholesale discount code to get them at 75% off

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    I can't offer any advice on the suspension itself, but as far as making it all fit on your car with the correct spacers/tophats/etc, I would recommend calling TiC. If you tell them specifically what you have, i.e. "I have a 2004 STi and want to run these struts..." they should be able to tell you exactly what components are required to make that happen properly. Those guys know what they're talking about and will probably help you avoid any ambiguity when it comes time to place an order. That being said, BigSky will probably chime in and not only know what parts are needed but also have the manufacturer's part numbers, phone number to call, and wholesale discount code to get them at 75% off
    75% would be nice, lol
    but if he can hook me up, thats up to him.

for fittment, i was hoping someone could tell me what the spacer does, is there a bolt pattern which doesnt match up?

is it a question of the strut length?

not sure, thats why i come to you guys...
    I'm always looking for Subaru fanatics in the greater Montreal area. If your close, send me a pm.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    not sure on the hookup end of things, but I can vouch for TIC

I think the D specs w/ the "regular guy" springs would be a good package. You'll need the TIC spacers in addition.

This will be a step in performance from oe and you may even find that the ride is better- this is due to the swap in dampers- the oe STi dampers have very firm compression damping, the inverted design contributes to the stiction issues- these are non inverted, w/ less compression damping.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Whats the difference betwen the fitment of an 02-03 compared to the 04's?

What does the spacer do exactly?

Does it drop the upper spring seat?...

Im asking this because I wont be doing the job myself. And i phoned around to local shops today, and spoke about this bizarre fitting arrangement and they looked at me like i was nuts or tryed to sell me coilovers, which id rather not buy.
    So im hoping to acquire as much knowledge as possible before i speak with them again.

The last shop i spoke to was the only shop willing to look into it for me, and he mentionned also looking into Koni's.

Im sure theres a thread for this, but what are these inserts exactly...and, if my struts are finished, would inserts be a good choice?

I Support ClubWRX
    in 04 they changed the rear strut tops and along w/ the tops they slightly changed the upper shaft of the struts- enough so when you try and run 02/03 style struts (which all of the aftermarket struts are except Koni- they have a 04+ fitment) that you need to run these small spacers so the 04+ tops fully seat- otherwise they don't and they clunk

the Koni's are made to fit in the WRX strut housings, they can fit in the STi housings but it's more work- there is a good thread at nasioc on how to do it w/ the STi struts (also a sticky on how to w/ a WRX strut). Many 04 STi owners simply source used WRX struts for the inserts because it's much easier

Big Sky, got any experience with the Scoober921 spacers?

I Support ClubWRX
    I've not had to use them as I've only used 04+ style struts

basically someone took some exact measurements on what was needed for a spacer, got some good, sturdy material and CNC'd them- much better option then trying to rig up w/ washers from the hardware store IMO

Now, im looking at getting them, the spacers that is, and the TiC Tok package.

Now for installing... how does everything go on...

When the guys at the shop, ask me where this spacer goes, i want to be able to answer them...

Where does it go, specifically... it sits on the step on the strut shaft, below the tophat?

If, someone could list the assembly steps for this mount style, that would probably help...

I Support ClubWRX
    yes that is where it goes- over the strut shaft and underneath the strut top

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    yes that is where it goes- over the strut shaft and underneath the strut top
    How do you think those RCE Wagon springs would compare to the Wagon Pinks? The car is mostly a daily driver with the occasional autocross.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jaqattack02 View Post
    How do you think those RCE Wagon springs would compare to the Wagon Pinks? The car is mostly a daily driver with the occasional autocross.
    the wagon pinks provide minimal lowering ~ 10-15mm over stock- rates are 223/192 (oe rates being 168/132), the RCE wagons lower ~ 30mm w/ rates at ~ 290/270

so.......... if your lean is more daily driving then the wagon pinks, if your lean is a little more performance orientated (and willing to give up a little more comfort) then the RCE's

both will be significant performance improvements over oe

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    in 04 they changed the rear strut tops and along w/ the tops they slightly changed the upper shaft of the struts- enough so when you try and run 02/03 style struts (which all of the aftermarket struts are except Koni- they have a 04+ fitment) that you need to run these small spacers so the 04+ tops fully seat- otherwise they don't and they clunk

the Koni's are made to fit in the WRX strut housings, they can fit in the STi housings but it's more work- there is a good thread at nasioc on how to do it w/ the STi struts (also a sticky on how to w/ a WRX strut). Many 04 STi owners simply source used WRX struts for the inserts because it's much easier
    Rather than running the spacers for the rear...could you use the 02/03 STi Group N rear strut tops?:

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...roducts_id=655

Reason I ask is b/c I am considering the D-Specs for my '05 wrx and wanted to get the Group N front and rear strut mounts. Or would it be better to run the Group N rear mounts for the '04-06 with the TIC spacers?

Sorry to Highjack the thread...but it seems very relevant/similar question.
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 06-27-2008 at 08:52 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    your rear top choice is dictated by the spring you run- if you run a 02/03 style spring then you must run a 02/03 style top, if you run a 04+ style spring then you must run a 04+ style top.

a 04+ top won't fit onto a 02/03 style spring and vice versa

Here's a picture in the difference between the rear strut shafts:

This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.