Flush power steering fluid?

This is a discussion on Flush power steering fluid? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So while Auto-X'ing today, I was boiling the crap out of my power steering fluid and it was cutting out ...

Flush power steering fluid?

So while Auto-X'ing today, I was boiling the crap out of my power steering fluid and it was cutting out on me 1/2 way into the run. Another 04 STi was also boiling his in the same place. It was a really tight course and sawing at the wheel was normal. So without a doubt, at the same place in every run it would cut out - right in the middle of a slalom.

When I pulled off and popped the hood, you could feel the fluid boiling through the top of the reservoir.

Since I can't add a PS cooler (wanna stay STU legal), I'm going to give synthetic fluid a try as I've been told it really helps. I've been looking for a write-up on how to change PS fluid and I haven't been able to find anything.

Does anyone know where I drain the fluid from? The only thing I've seen is people sucking the fluid out with a turkey baster. That can't be the only way.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you can get or buy a hydraulic fluid evacuater you can do this pretty easy. Its easier to have a fluid transfer machine but this works fine

1. Hook new evacuater to air compressor and fire it up.

2. Turn car on.

3. Suck fluid down to minimum line.

4. Add new fluid to max line.

5. Turn wheels a couple times.

6. Suck fluid to minimum line.

7. Add new fluid to max line.

8. Turn wheels a couple times.

Repeat steps 3-5 until fluid is all new and good looking. You will go thru more fluid this way but technically its the easiest/cleanest way.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    If you can get or buy a hydraulic fluid evacuater you can do this pretty easy. Its easier to have a fluid transfer machine but this works fine

1. Hook new evacuater to air compressor and fire it up.

2. Turn car on.

3. Suck fluid down to minimum line.

4. Add new fluid to max line.

5. Turn wheels a couple times.

6. Suck fluid to minimum line.

7. Add new fluid to max line.

8. Turn wheels a couple times.

Repeat steps 3-5 until fluid is all new and good looking. You will go thru more fluid this way but technically its the easiest/cleanest way.

I ended up doing it this way, seemed to get most of the fluid out. But for future reference, attached is the proper way to do it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PS_Flush.jpg  

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    they way I did mine was, purchase one quart syn (M1), undo the reservoir from the clip, turn upside down and empty into something you can throw away (old container), fill to max line, drive around, repeat, drive around, repeat until quart is gone- about four reservoirs full
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman